X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MorningDew
    • Mar 2013

Upgrading to 802Ds and Need Creative Component Advice

Hi all. I currently have a B&W CM setup, but the local dealer is offering me a pretty great opportunity to upgrade. He is willing to let me trade-in any or all of my gear at the same cost that I paid for it and put the money toward a new system. However, I only have until May (when I have to move to a different city) to decide, and I am working both on a relatively small budget for what I am trying to accomplish and on much less knowledge than most of you.

My current system is
    • CM9 fronts
    • CMC2 center
    • CM1 rears
    • Denon 3313CI
    • Epik Empire Subwoofer (internetnot purchased through this dealer)

The other week, I made a trip to the store and did some preliminary demoing of speakers to figure out what route I wanted to take. After listening to several speakers, I have fallen in love with the 802Ds and the HTM2D. Then I made a quick survey of what components he has available in my price range so that I could do some research on them and be equipped with more knowledge for my next trip over to the store when I hook up components to the 802Ds.

Unfortunately, the 802Ds are slightly out of my price range, so I know that I will have to make some compromises with the rest of the system if I do get them. I realize budget isn't the word I should be thinking when I am trying to power these beasts, but since I have a great yet very small window of opportunity to pretty effortless upgrade, I think it might be worth the relatively short-term compromise on the rest of the system since I know that I will be able to upgrade the components in the next year or two. To sweeten the deal and my move, the dealer is willing to ship the speakers (after testing them) to my new home; this will also avoid the sales tax. Since this will probably come up, while I did enjoy the 802Ds, I know that I will have buyers' remorse if I don't go ahead and go for the 802Ds; I will always be thinking about the "what-if" if I get the 803Ds—while I can plan on keeping the 802Ds pretty much forever.

I am still relatively new to the audio world and am entirely self-learned, so I could really use some expert advice before making such a large investment—especially since I obviously do not fully trust my dealer to give the best advice. I have been reading websites, forums, books, etc. for about 12 months, and I have an engineering background, so I trust my ability to comprehend the knowledge. However, so many of this hobby's topics are surrounded in debate in online threads or is very subjective and based on experience rather than knowledge.

So, here are the following options that I have available to me, both from the dealer and other creative solutions that I have thought about. In the end, I am sure that I will probably end up going in a different direction than any of these choices once I get some better input from everyone here. I have about $4,000-6,000 to spend on the pre and amp. Obviously, unless I can make a truly satisfying system in that price range, I would prefer to spend less so that I can save up for the real components down the road. Both HT and stereo are important to me, while obviously stereo listening is most important since I tend to have music playing at all times in the background. It is also important to note that this $4-6k budget is slightly flexible because I am able spend an extra couple thousand if it truly makes financial sense to go ahead and get the real parts (real meaning good enough for several years; not real as in 20k components) instead of compromising for a year or two and then taking a loss when I trade up.

In my price range, the dealer's only real offerings in my price range is the following combination. Note, however, (I believe) he has a pretty great price for the RX7. I did not look into all of his stereo amp offerings because I was too ill-equipped to process all of the possible choices.
    • pre: Marrantz AV7701 — $1,700
    • amp: Lexicon RX-7 — $2,999 (regular $6,999)

Here are the ideas that I am considering. Obviously, some of the ideas have some cross-over (pun unintended h.

Side note: For all of these options, I am probably going to keep the CM1s as rears and upgrade to PM1s in the more long-term future (after the pre and amp upgrades). Will the CM1s be just fine for now? The dealer mentioned that the Audyssey may over-adjust the fronts and center since they will be truly overpowering the CM1s. Is this a real problem or am I correct to assume this is relatively unimportant for now and just marketing malarkey?
    • Trade in the Denon and get the AV7701 and RX7
    • Keep the Denon and spend the ~$4,000 on a quality stereo amp like a McIntosh or Classé since the 3313 has pre-outs (or 3-channel amp if the HTM2D would be really underpowered by just the 3313 as its pre and amp)
    • Keep the Denon and get the Lex RX7 since it is such a good deal. Sell the Denon for something better later down the road.
    • Go with Emotiva for the amp (eg, XPA2) or possibly Emotiva for both the pre and amp. There is SO much debate online about whether Emotiva is too sharp, bright, blah blah blah, or worthwhile of using for a high-end system, even as a stop-gap solution so I am hesitant about this option.
    • Find other components through a different dealer that would be in my price range (or try to get very lucky on Audiogon). However, I have no idea where to start here so I need large amounts of advice for what components to even consider.

Now, I have spent several weeks researching and searching tons and tons of threads regarding the 802Ds. However, most of the mentioned models, brands, and names go over my head because I am still so new to the world of the separate components. Moreover, I am having an exceptionally hard time finding much info on BOTH the Marrantz AV7701 and the Lex RX7. I realize the AV7701 is the relatively new replacement to the AV7005, so that may be part of the problem. However, I have researched the AV7005 and still have found little info about its pairing with the 802D or equivalent models. I am positive that I'm overlooking very pertinent info because most of models mentioned are unknown to me. Likewise, I have found so very little info on this very heavily discounted RX7, so that makes me very wary as well.

On one hand, I do not want to spread myself too thin and sacrifice too much just to get these 802Ds. On the other, I believe this is a great opportunity to upgrade to the 802Ds, and I would like to figure out some sort of solution.

Can anyone here offer some advice to me? I would be truly, truly grateful for anyone who wants to chime in. I would even love to have an academic discussion over the phone with someone, in-person (I live in Nashville, TN), or via messages/email because this is truly a large and long-term investment—and I do love to learn. Likewise, does anyone know any other resources (websites, consultants or consultation companies, phone numbers, etc—even ones that may cost some money) that would be of benefit? Thanks so much for the help in advice—it is truly appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Last edited by MorningDew; 13 March 2013, 20:02 Wednesday.
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

The 802Dis are incredible speakers. Since you have the opportunity I would do this option: Keep the Denon and spend the ~$4,000 on a quality a stereo amp like an McIntosh or Classé since the 3313 has pre-outs (or 3-channel amp if the HTM2D would be really underpowered by just the 3313 as its pre and amp) I guess I would go for the Classe, but that is me. The Mac is a great amp also.

My reasoning for this. Buy speakers and an amp that will last a long time, not a band-aid until you can afford. As you only have money for one thing I would go for the power amp. If you would like to talk I will pm you my #.

Dave
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Antioch
      • Feb 2013

Well different amps and pre-amps have different sounds and that is subjective. I went the used route and picked up a Bryston BP-25 and Bryston 4Bsst to drive my 803 D2's and the combined cost was $3,500. The diamond series like current to truly make them sing and Bryston makes a really solid amp. Some feel their gear is too bright but the last couple of models don't seem that way to my ear. They also offer a 20 year warranty and that follows the gear to a new owner. Your room will also make a big difference. I would not be in a rush and I would try to audition the gear in your new place although that may not work if this fellow wants to give you a trade towards new gear. If you like a warm sound you may like the McIntosh amp and pre-amp with the 802 D2's.

Take your time, audition the gear and how much the room influences the sound really can't be overstated.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

MorningDew, a lot of people here have outstanding systems - but they were mostly built over many, many years. Few of us are fortunate enough to be in a position to buy our systems all at once, and indeed, half of the hobby is tweaking, changing, upgrading over time... its a never ending story. The well known upgrade itch is always there. If I was in your position, I'd get the 802D's - by whatever means I could (there are some pretty sweet deals to be found on the older 802D's) - and then, slowly over time, upgrade the other components to bring out their greatness. The speakers will last you forever, as they are entirely passive. My son is already eyeing my pair, lol.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Surely if money is tight you go second hand. There are plenty of options in the US and you prices have always been cheap compared to most other countries.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• MorningDew
            • Mar 2013

First, thank you for all of the advice! Seeing everyone's comments, I am glad we are on the same page regarding the 802D upgrade. Like mjb said, I know that my system will be built over the years and not all at once.

After considering it, I do not think I would like to get a mid-line MC, Classé, etc stereo amp now because I know that my options will be limited to whatever is available second-hand and is also within my budget. Plus, I am probably better off saving that money for the inevitable future amp upgrade. I would prefer either the Lex RX7, Emotiva, or something else that is lower in cost or available right now on Audiogon so that when I do buy amps later down the road, I will not have to make any of these compromises again. h:

@Freddie, I believe that the deal and convenience (no need to sell the CM9s on my own, shipping to my new home, no sales taxes, and below retail price) that I am getting for the 802Ds by trading up my CM9s is in the same class as finding used 802Ds.

Reading everyone's comments and upon further reflection, I believe that the following low-cost options seem to be the most likely if I want to save money for future, real upgrades (unless someone wants to throw another brand/model into the ring):
            1. keep the Denon 3313CI and get an Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-3 (cost: only spending $800 or $599, respectively)
            2. trade in the 3313 for the Marrantz AV7701 and get one of the following (a) the Lexicon RX-7; (b) Emotiva XPA-5; (c) Emotiva XPA-3 + XPA-2 (net spending of $3700, $1600, or $2100 respectively)

Which of these solutions will keep me the happiest with my new speakers for the time being? Again, I realize that sound is subjective. If it helps, I prefer a warmer sound. I will obviously be auditioning whatever everyone recommends once I get some feedback. However, I know very little about the RX7 and AV7701, and there is little information available online regarding them.

Other questions:
            1. Would having a separate (but budget) pre/pro (ie Marrant 7701) be that much better than keeping the Denon 3313 for now? My dealer says so, but I am wary.
            2. What differences in performance, sound, etc. would I expect between the RX7 and the Emotiva?

Thanks again, everyone.

Comment

• leo2498
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by MorningDew
              First, thank you for all of the advice! Seeing everyone's comments, I am glad we are on the same page regarding the 802D upgrade. Like mjb said, I know that my system will be built over the years and not all at once.

After considering it, I do not think I would like to get a mid-line MC, Classé, etc stereo amp now because I know that my options will be limited to whatever is available second-hand and is also within my budget. Plus, I am probably better off saving that money for the inevitable future amp upgrade. I would prefer either the Lex RX7, Emotiva, or something else that is lower in cost or available right now on Audiogon so that when I do buy amps later down the road, I will not have to make any of these compromises again. h:

@Freddie, I believe that the deal and convenience (no need to sell the CM9s on my own, shipping to my new home, no sales taxes, and below retail price) that I am getting for the 802Ds by trading up my CM9s is in the same class as finding used 802Ds.

Reading everyone's comments and upon further reflection, I believe that the following low-cost options seem to be the most likely if I want to save money for future, real upgrades (unless someone wants to throw another brand/model into the ring):
              1. keep the Denon 3313CI and get an Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-3 (cost: only spending $800 or $599, respectively)
              2. trade in the 3313 for the Marrantz AV7701 and get one of the following (a) the Lexicon RX-7; (b) Emotiva XPA-5; (c) Emotiva XPA-3 + XPA-2 (net spending of $3700, $1600, or $2100 respectively)

Which of these solutions will keep me the happiest with my new speakers for the time being? Again, I realize that sound is subjective. If it helps, I prefer a warmer sound. I will obviously be auditioning whatever everyone recommends once I get some feedback. However, I know very little about the RX7 and AV7701, and there is little information available online regarding them.

Other questions:
              1. Would having a separate (but budget) pre/pro (ie Marrant 7701) be that much better than keeping the Denon 3313 for now? My dealer says so, but I am wary.
              2. What differences in performance, sound, etc. would I expect between the RX7 and the Emotiva?

Thanks again, everyone.
              many owners of audio equipment will tell you that the expensive gear is the way to go but the first thing that I learn about this hobby was the all audio equipment it's a sugestive thing, why? first all equipments are simulating a real instrument and how it's sounds so the finally result will be the interpretation of the designer and how it sounds, so your real answer could be audition for yourself in any price point, if this sound it's what you like well you will get your sound if you don't like then you need find another gear.

I don't think that exist the best amp or the best speaker or whatever , the real thing will be what do you like personally.

many people would like classe, mcintosh, krell and whichever but the finally choice will be your own audio taste.
              Leo,
              Saludos
              My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

Keep the Denon, get an Emotiva power amp. Most people agree that speakers, room, setup are most important.

Isn't it true that no one could do that challenge to tell an amp apart in a double blind test to win money?

I'm starting to think most high end gear is snake oil and not just cables, especially here in the digital age. Maybe back in the analog days there was a difference but I'm just not hearing it in the digital age. I mean, isn't Denon/McIntosh basically the same thing? I was playing with a McIntosh a few weeks ago and it even had the same exact on screen display text as a Denon - no difference at all. It also didn't sound any better than a plain ole Denon and in fact sounded worse to me with the lack of Audyssey. My other problem is the high end seems to be a step behind on features. I truly believe in high end audio that speakers are the only thing that really make a noticeable difference anymore and in fact a lot of lower end gear can perform better with more advanced processing like Audyssey/YPAO, etc. It just doesn't look as fancy.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Yup, keep telling yourself that emig5m. Everything sounds the same, save your money etc. all digital sources sound the same also. Repeat and it will become true.

He is spending 15 k on speakers, not 1.5k. If you can't pick an a class luxman from a D class Pioneer you are spending way too much on speakers.
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                    Yup, keep telling yourself that emig5m. Everything sounds the same, save your money etc. all digital sources sound the same also. Repeat and it will become true.

He is spending 15 k on speakers, not 1.5k. If you can't pick an a class luxman from a D class Pioneer you are spending way too much on speakers.
                    I have to agree with Briz here. There is a huge difference between amps and for that matter, every other component in a system. Biggest of course being speakers. I'm pretty sure this is a no brainer for most of the members of this forum.
                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• MorningDew
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by madmac
                      I have to agree with Briz here. There is a huge difference between amps and for that matter, every other component in a system. Biggest of course being speakers. I'm pretty sure this is a no brainer for most of the members of this forum.
                      I know that there is a difference, and I have heard it for myself among various set-ups. My issue is that I am limited in my knowledge/experience, what I can listen to (or what I should even look into demoing), and in what I can afford at the moment. Do you have any advice for what you would do if you were in my situation? I know this is a suboptimal situation and that no choice is perfect, but I could really use guidance from people who have much more experience than I do.

Obviously, once I get recommendations, I will try my best to listen to each of these setups in-depth to ensure that I like the sound before I finalize anything. Sorry, I feel like this topic is quickly becoming derailed (welcome to the Internet), and it frightens me to spend this much money without first giving it its due diligence!

Comment

• leo2498
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by MorningDew
                        I know that there is a difference, and I have heard it for myself among various set-ups. My issue is that I am limited in my knowledge/experience, what I can listen to (or what I should even look into demoing), and in what I can afford at the moment. Do you have any advice for what you would do if you were in my situation? I know this is a suboptimal situation and that no choice is perfect, but I could really use guidance from people who have much more experience than I do.

Obviously, once I get recommendations, I will try my best to listen to each of these setups in-depth to ensure that I like the sound before I finalize anything. Sorry, I feel like this topic is quickly becoming derailed (welcome to the Internet), and it frightens me to spend this much money without first giving it its due diligence!
                        I was in the same doubt some months ago but I preferred wait and only buy a two channel amp from rotel that is in the same family of B&W, the sound is very good for my taste and it will be stay in my rack since that moment, I will change this for classe when I can get some money. BTW I'm using a denon pre and I don't have problem with it(I need change it but it can wait).
                        Leo,
                        Saludos
                        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

Get the speakers... the rest will fall into place and you'll LOVE the ride along the way. I had posted up a thread about my concern on should I or should I not go for the speakers and it was surprising how many people here said that "since I didn't have the money and had to finance them" I shouldn't get them so it's nice to know people here won't just tell you to do things.

Well I did and they've been worth every penny (not that I would've have love to get them cheaper mind you!) lol. But yeah I ended just squeezing them out and only ended up paying $350 in financing charges on my credit card...so I'll take that as the card was paid off within 6 months of getting the speakers and the rest is through the companies 24 month same as cash. So that worked out well for me... Oh and and did I mention it was worth it!?!? ha ha!

Once you get the speaker you can then find out what you don't "like" about your system and figure out how to correct or change things. Those speakers will reveal the weaknesses in your pre/amp/cdp/dac/cables/etc.... However, it won't to the point that you won't like listening...you'll just notice, wow... if I add component X, that's such a difference and I like it! Then you start to get a feel for what parts you want to replace in what order.

Your Denon will actually drive the speakers fine just the way it is. Don't think it won't. Can things get better... OF COURSE! Adding the emotiva amp would definitely help and it'll have no issues driving the speakers either and it will help the quality some. I think replacing your denon will end up doing the most change once you get the 802dis. And again, probably buying a pre & amp... that can happen in stages.

I got all three, 802Dis and HTM2Di because I wanted the front soundstage to match... and boy does it ever! That's a good 60% of the battle right there if you are mixing HT and Stereo listening into one system.

If you don't get the amp right out of the gate I would also keep an eye out for a used Rotel RB-1090, that'll drive the speakers very very nicely (especially if you do a little modding to it).
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                            • May 2005

Glad to hear everything worked out Pewter! I agree, get the speakers first they are the most important to your sound. You can worry about electronics and amps upgrades as your funds and ears allow over time

Also don't underestimate the importance of the room and acoustics in your room. One of the biggest upgrades for me was putting carpet in my listening room.

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas

A bit harsh there, Briz. lol
                              Nevertheless, I do agree with Briz. Through several experience where I had the chance to mix and match lots of components, all amps do not sound the same.
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                I got all three, 802Dis and HTM2Di because I wanted the front soundstage to match... and boy does it ever! That's a good 60% of the battle right there if you are mixing HT and Stereo listening into one system.
                                Yes, the same three front speakers makes the world of difference!
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"