Raptor's Dayton RS15' Sub Build Thread (Project:5)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor550
    • May 2007

Raptor's Dayton RS15' Sub Build Thread (Project:5)

Ok, so I have been dreaming of building a sub woofer for a while. Financially I could not afford A huge sub and with my NatP towers going as low as they do I could not justify building a rinky-dink 8" or 10" sub, too much overlap in capabilities. Anyways perusing the forums I saw "Zaph" was selling off a RS15 for $100. Needless to say I now have a mission to accomplish. So I will keep my latest efforts and tribulations up here.

The first tribulation I should mention is with finding an appropriate amplifier, a venture on craigslist brought me to a 1000W Velodyne amplifier. At its owners house I hooked up the only driver I had on hand to see if it would put out sound. (an RS225). It clicked allot, It was a class D amp and I imagine the clicking was do to its "D'ness" being broken, It had a few unlabeled tabs on it so assuming I had wired it wrong I tried the others, well at the first gentle brush against the accursed tab I hear what sounded like a loud gunshot behind me and the smell of "something" burning. My aluminum cone RS225 was now the first Dayton Midbass dome woofer. In horror of the carnage and in lue of (later admittedly) being electrocuted several times earlier that day by the Amp, the Craigslist seller gave me the wretched thing for free. If I could fix It I would feel less sad.

Anyways on to better things, I now have a Big Beautiful Driver and a box about half complete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DaytonRSSHO15Driver.webp
Views:	48
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	944614

The plan is a 3.1^' internal volume box sealed with 3 inch chamfered edges and spiked feet. I will probably put some figlerglass insulation inside too. Haven't thought things much through past that so if people have porting recommendations stuffing ideas and the like its welcomed.

Name:	BoxCage.webp
Views:	45
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	944615

Name:	Box2.webp
Views:	45
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	944616

One question, on a sub, besides aesthetics, is surface mounting a woofer bad on sq? I know its bad on tweeters and midrange. I don't have the gear on me to flush mount.
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:21 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

No cross braces in the cabinet?

Comment

• Gir
      • Dec 2006

No, it's not as important to flush mount a subwoofer since the wavelengths are so high. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

What kind of wood are you using?

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Sorry to hear about the RS225! Interesting destruction though 8O
      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Looks like Pine or something.

And no you don't have to flush mount a sub. It looks better though

Comment

• Gir
          • Dec 2006

Looks like Pine or something.
          That's what I was thinking, which brings up a bit of an issue. I always heard that pine was a bad wood to use as far as speaker cabinets are concerned. Perhaps you should add some bracing in there to avoid any unwanted box resonances.

That being said, I do love the look of the box!
          -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Raptor550
            • May 2007

Hahaha, you guys don't miss a beat do you? I am putting a truss system inside it of twelve beams at 45 degree angles connecting all walls to each other. It should be strong enough. I have to have all the walls put together first to do this, hence why I started with a cage.

I believe it is pine but the cage inside is a different wood. I heard pine is mostly a problem in super high humidity places with big temperature shifts. so Florida or Wisconsin out doors is out. but I am sealing the box and lacquering it so it should be more rigid when I am done. Maybe pine is also bad at resonating at certain Fq undesirable for a full range speaker, but would it do this with content below 50hz? Am I missing something?

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Why did you use pine anyways? And any updated pictures

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Nothing wrong with pine or any other solid wood for a sub. The resonance frequency (tap the box with a coin to hear it) will be way above the sub range.

Comment

• jkrutke
                  • Dec 2005

That picture of the woofer on your washing machine looks like you took a picture of a normal woofer, enlarged it 3x and photoshopped it onto the washer. :B
                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Probably taken with a camera phone.

Comment

• Gir
                      • Dec 2006

Nothing wrong with pine or any other solid wood for a sub. The resonance frequency (tap the box with a coin to hear it) will be way above the sub range.
                      Good point!

That picture of the woofer on your washing machine looks like you took a picture of a normal woofer, enlarged it 3x and photoshopped it onto the washer.
                      Man, I was looking at that and thought it looked a little funny. Definitely hit the nail on the head! lol

Hahaha, you guys don't miss a beat do you? I am putting a truss system inside it of twelve beams at 45 degree angles connecting all walls to each other. It should be strong enough. I have to have all the walls put together first to do this, hence why I started with a cage.
                      Sounds like it will be nice and solid!
                      -Tyler

Comment

• Raptor550
                        • May 2007

I'll agree, it does look like its been enlarged with photoshop, but thats the real thing baby. Actually when I set it on there I forgot that the washing machine was magnetized and it made a comical dive bomb to the poor little machine. when I took the sub off the washing machine lid went with it. :-D

Comment

• Raptor550
                          • May 2007

Trying to get a handel on porting and dampening concepts

How do you choose a port diameter for a ported sub? one program said I needed a 6" port at like 64 inches to tune to 22hz, I looked at what a 4 inch port looked like and that was more manageable but whats the downside of a smaller diameter port? right now my internal volume is at about 3 to 3.1 cubic feet at the most. any recommendations?

If I stuff a vented box with stuffing will it actually make my box appear bigger? If I have a 3.1cu' box and I am working with WinISD and I plan to stuff my box .5-1 lb per cubic foot. Would it be appropriate to enter the box volume as oh say 3.8?

Name:	Daytonsubwins1.webp
Views:	29
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	944617
                          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:21 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• looneybomber
                            • May 2007

A 4" port is much too small! 6" is a better idea, but you'll need a bigger box to get that to fit...and then it causes the driver to run out of xmax with little power in the ~30hz area. Go to "plot" add in some wattage and then click on cone excursion and play around with box size and tuning freq.

Sealed may be your best bet.

Comment

• mayhem13
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by looneybomber
                              Sealed may be your best bet.
                              How about PRs?-2 15" AEs at about 1300grams each would do nicely!

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

Normally, you don't stuff a ported box, just line the walls. Stuffing doesn't change the apparent box volume, it decreases Qa in the Advanced properties button of the box tab. If you were to stuff the box say half full, leaving a clear path between the driver and the port, you might try Qa=10 and see what happens.

The Dayton is a pretty short stroke driver so you might get away with a 4" port. It would be about like using a 6" port with a TC2000. Give the driver some power in the signal tab and then look at the cone excursion and rear port velocity graphs. Don't forget to add a highpass filter to keep the excursion below Xmax at low frequencies. That will also help keep port velocity down.

Edit: to model what happens when you stuff the box clear full, blocking the port, set both Qa (absorption) and Qp (port) to 5-10 depending on how dense the stuffing is.

Comment

• stangbat
                                  • Jan 2008

Have you tried using two ports instead of one? Maybe see what lengths and diameters you can get by doing that. Or is there a reason for avoiding this?

Comment

• Bent
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2003

two smaller ports are just about as long, plus they eat into the interior volume even more.

Comment

• looneybomber
                                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Bent
                                      two smaller ports are just about as long, plus they eat into the interior volume even more.
                                      ...and has more surface area which means more port noise given the same area and flaring.

Comment

• JonP
                                        • Apr 2006

In case you didn't get the port velocity graph suggestion, that's the one to watch in regards to port noise. Freq response, cone excursion and port velocity are the main ones to keep your eye on.

Up past 15-20m/S it's going to start making noise. Depending on how noisy what you're playing is, (quiet acoustic bass, war movie battle climax) how close or how directly pointed at you the port is, and at what frequency it gets that high... more or less could be tolerable. Also, larger port flares can help, to a point.

A good place to get some info is Bob Collo's subwoofer pages... check the
                                        DIY links thread here... he's in there. Lots of good info, and handy calculators, one of which will estimate turbulence noise in a port under various conditions, and how much will flare size help.

6" port with flares would probably be nearly soundless, but unless you want to try and get away with external pipes as a design plan... ("The Power Station".. "The Smokestack Lightning Sub".. "Sub with Headers"...) it's tough to get it all in the box.

Finally, there's slot ports... but they add more woodworking to the project. Would be tough now to retrofit. And they're difficult to tune, if you need to change things.

Anyway, check it out, perhaps a 4" might not be that bad. Most of your air movement will be down at 20-30hz, so up in the "music" range it might be pretty quiet.

I built a RS315HF sub for a friend a while ago, in a 3cu ft box, tried porting about 20-22hz... Took about 28" of port, I made a giant U bend with 4 elbows and Precision Port flares... it was too much hassle, took too much volume away from the box... Finally just pulled it out and went with 3 cu ft sealed.
                                        Didn't notice much noise, though. Of course, that's a 12" not a 15"...

Hope that helps...

Comment

• joecarrow
                                          • Apr 2005

I love that picture on the washing machine- it really gives scale to it! I've seen people's photos of these giant subwoofers with a CD for scale, and this is much better.

Regarding the ports- I was going to mention what JonP already said- there's no reason a port can't extend out of the box somewhat. You still need to make sure that the port isn't so long that it has pipe-organ resonance, but it could be helpful to remember that this would be allowed.
                                          -Joe Carrow

Comment

• brent_s
                                            • Jun 2006

Port noise is going to be related to frequency content and how loud you listen to said content.

I've got a DVC15 in 5.9 ft^3 net tuned to 17hz with a single 4" PrecisionPort. I've never noticed any port noise even when running the system up to reference level on LFE specific demo discs. I generally watch movies at -10/-15 below reference. Port is downfiring into carpet, which may help some. As they say...YMMV.

-Brent

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"