X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

Speakers for second system

I am looking to add a 2 channel audio system for a second room in our house. I love my 803S for my main system, but can't afford to do that in a second room. I would like to keep the price of the speakers at about $1500 for the pair. My difficulty is I can't find a suggest retail price list (US)for B&W speakers. I use to be able to find it on the B&W site, but it looks like they removed this page. The speakers will be driven by a NAD integrated amp and paired with a Velodyne SPL1200R sub woofer. I will connect my Ipod and Rotel DVD/CD player. I already own the other equipment so I want to use my entire budget on the speakers and not upgrade the electronics.

What are the best bang for my bucks options? My assumption was that the sub would allow me to go to a higher quality bookshelf possibly.
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

705's list for $1500. Or the smaller CM1 is about $1000

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

dknightd is right, 705's are within that budget you mentioned, now if your budget permits, and decide to spend a little more ,then I would jump into the 805s pronto!!

Keep us posted?

Cheers

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pookie007
        I am looking to add a 2 channel audio system for a second room in our house. I love my 803S for my main system, but can't afford to do that in a second room. I would like to keep the price of the speakers at about $1500 for the pair. My difficulty is I can't find a suggest retail price list (US)for B&W speakers. I use to be able to find it on the B&W site, but it looks like they removed this page. The speakers will be driven by a NAD integrated amp and paired with a Velodyne SPL1200R sub woofer. I will connect my Ipod and Rotel DVD/CD player. I already own the other equipment so I want to use my entire budget on the speakers and not upgrade the electronics.

What are the best bang for my bucks options? My assumption was that the sub would allow me to go to a higher quality bookshelf possibly.
        Check out Audiogon. You should be able to pick up a pair of N805's for your budget or less.

Comment

• P1et
          • Jan 2006

I would check http://www.hometheaterstore.com, they have all the B&W prices on their website.

Comment

• Ted
            • May 2006

Here is a link the the B & W price list. I don't know why you
            (not you specifically, I just mean the lack of a link) can't get to it from their main page, but this is it. http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...s.speakertypes

I think the new CM7 should run about $1500. It hasn't been added to the above link yet, but I think that should be about their price. I'm not sure if they are availble in the US yet, but should be soon if they aren't.

Good luck!!
            Ted
            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Pookie007
              • Apr 2006

I compared pricing and the 705 is definitely in my price range. I need to do a little listing to see if I can justify the $700 upgrade to the 704 or the $1000 upgrade to the 805. I think if I make the jump from the 705 I will go all the way to the 805. When listening, is there anything in particular difference I should hear? I would probably hear them with a subwoofer since that is how I will use them. I think this will allow me to be happier with the 805 than the 704 since I will not have a problem with the lower notes.

Where to the CM fit in the B&W product line? The CM1 is a $600 savings but I haven't been able to verify the CM7 price.

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                • Nov 2006

the 705's will blow your mind, i have them and i am in love with them every session of listening is worth its price..., now the 805's is probably better but i wanted to keep them in the 1500's price range, let us know whatsup.

Comment

• Ted
                  • May 2006

I think, but could be wrong, that the CM7 will fall between the DM604 S3 and the 704. I'd like to hear a pair down the road as a second set like you are looking for.

Ted
                  Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• docp
                    • Dec 2006

Go for the 805s. I was in a similar situation 2 months ago. I also have 803s for my main system.

My justification was that in the future I can use the 805s as rear speakers in a HT setup with the 803s as the front speakers.

Furthermore, since you are used to the sound of the 803s, I personlly think you will not be happy with anything less than 8 series.

You have a sub.....you will get more detail in the upper end with the 805s than the 7 series.

Otherwise, if you are like the rest of us, you will be looking to upgrade the speakers next year.

Comment

• Pookie007
                      • Apr 2006

I did a side by side with the 705 and 805. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the 705 if I hadn't heard the 805, so this already looks like it is becoming a slippery slope. If I go with the 805s I think I will probably move one of my Audio Research 150.2 to this system. Then I have to replace it with a 300.2 in my main system. Now I will need add a pre-amp to the second system. So instead of a pair of speakers for $1500, I am looking at about a $8500 investment.

The nice part is the speakers will get me up and running. Then I can replace the amp and use the integrated amp to control it. Finally I can add the pre-amp. This will allow me to stretch this out over 6 months so it doesn't seem as this much of an investment.

Now that I typed it out, I am really starting to like this idea. Now the tough part is explaining it to my wife.

Comment

• kurtholz
                        • Feb 2005

hahahahaha

$1500 to $8500 didn't take very long, you are most certainly afflicted with a serious case of upgradeitis

i use the 805 signature's for surrounds, but have used them as mains just to try them out, they are great speakers, and your sub will fit in perfectly

now, there is that one problem your not addressing,

will there be an 805D soon? of course, you can get the 805S now, then relegate them to surrounds and do the 805D later

hahahahahahaha

the devil made me say it

:-)

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• Pookie007
                          • Apr 2006

I couldn't justify the $2500 to upgrade from the 803S to the 803D. I definitly couldn't justify the price difference on the 805. You have to draw the liine somewhere.

Comment

• OC 335i
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Pookie007
                            I couldn't justify the $2500 to upgrade from the 803S to the 803D. I definitly couldn't justify the price difference on the 805. You have to draw the liine somewhere.
                            I dream of lines but the wife draws them. At least when we're talking electronics. :B

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"