X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinoy_g35
    • Sep 2005

Upgrading with $1500 budget, Rotel 1056 or B&W 600 series

My current setu-up is Yamaha A/V receiver HTR-5560 and Infiniti Reference 2000 series speakers. I'm not happy anymore with my current set-up and I feel I'm missing something. I have $1500 budget and I want to go to higher end system. Should I start with Rotel 1056 or B&W 600 series?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I would start with speakers since they set the groundwork for your system.

Are you open for other speaker suggestions?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

g35,
      Azeke is right. Take the 1500 and dump it all into speakers! Then in the next few months save up and buy one component at a time. 1500 now days will go a long way to some really great sounding speakers. Phase Tech, Energy, Warfedale, those are my favorites. I am sure that others have thiers.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Just make sure those are the speakers you want to live with for a good few years If you think you may want to go with better speakers eventually, keep saving and/or get the 1056. You may be surprised at how good the Infinity's sound with better processing and amplification behind them too Then later on maybe you can add some even better speakers than the 600's!
        Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Go for the new speakers. They'll make the biggest difference in the sound you hear. What local brands have you heard that you like?

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Hello, sound check... 1, 2, 1, 2. He said B & W 600 or Rotel. Something wrong with B & W 600?

I'd suggest stepping into the B & W forum here if that's the brand you think you prefer. Get some advice there on which model to choose.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
              Hello, sound check... 1, 2, 1, 2. He said B & W 600 or Rotel. Something wrong with B & W 600?

I'd suggest stepping into the B & W forum here if that's the brand you think you prefer. Get some advice there on which model to choose.

Lex
              Nothing wrong with them Doug, there's just LOT's of other brands/models that also sound great that he may, or may not, prefer over the B&W's at that price point. Especially considering that 600 series is a good 4-5 years old now, some other companies with more recent models may be able to beat them for bang vs. buck Only way to find out is to go listen to lot's of speakers :yesnod:
              Jason

Comment

• Tha Freak
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                Just make sure those are the speakers you want to live with for a good few years If you think you may want to go with better speakers eventually, keep saving and/or get the 1056. You may be surprised at how good the Infinity's sound with better processing and amplification behind them too Then later on maybe you can add some even better speakers than the 600's!

I would go the aud19 way...

since processing ant digital era is technologically changing every day and speakers don't really progress fast in terms of technology...

Get a better receiver...benefit from a newer tehc...save some money for HP and step above the 600 serie, you could start at the 700 serie in 2-3 years :lol:

my 2¢
                - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• pinoy_g35
                  • Sep 2005

thanks guys for the info. i also started to look around and Klipsch RF-7 seems to be good in my price range and a good fit to 1056(eventually). i actually posted the same question to Rotel forum and B&W forum and interestingly, most suggest replacing the speakers... the dealer i went to has (of course) both Rotel and B&W and he told me to replace the A/V component first. i'll wait for replies here and i'll take the majority vote. :banghead:

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Is there any way the dealer will let you borrow a couple 600 series speakers and/or a demo 1056? As it doesn't really matter what any of us say/think, what matters is what sounds better for your $$ to your ears

While your at it I also recommend listening to a couple higher-end B&W's and/or other brands models as well
                    Jason

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

Hi guys. To get some real responses on these specific units, throw it at the guys in the specific forum/s (as you have rightly done) just to get some straight answers.

I believe your mind as been made up. Thanks for starting it here. :T

Good luck!
                      Last edited by Clive; 09 September 2005, 16:14 Friday.
                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Well, yes, there is always the lots of speakers out there to listen to strategy, and alternate suggestions are a great idea. Listening to a lot of speakers, the absolute best idea. I just didn't want to discount to heavily what he actually asked about, that's all... We also know from experience that Rotel and B & W are a good match sonically as far as likely his longer range plan of owning both. But as far as knowing the B & W current vs past lines, I am not the guy to know that. I'll trust your judgement on that jason (aud19).
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• pinoy_g35
                          • Sep 2005

I found more money under the bed! I can readily spend $4k+ now for both amp AND speakers. i plan to pull the trigger on a 1056 amp and B&W 703s. I plan to use it 50/50 music/movie. I'll just use my current Infinity reference for center channel and surrounds for the meantime. I have a PolkAudio 12" subwoofer. I know, I know... different speakers might not be a good idea but I'm just starting to 'upgrade' my system. It will take me sometime to make all speakers to be B&Ws.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

As long as you have a good upgrade plan/path :T I FULLY endorse buying as good of main speakers as you can afford and upgrade the rest later, which it looks like you're doing :T

Later on you can even add a dedicated 2-ch amp for even better stereo performance :P
                            Jason

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                              Former Moderator
                              • Jan 2002

Let us know how it all turns out :T Looks like you're on the right path. Just switch the rec. to 2ch when listenning to music. If you get into SACD or DVD Audio you're gonna love the multi channel system you're getting for that purpose. Check it out asap.
                              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• eddiem67
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by pinoy_g35
                                the dealer i went to has (of course) both Rotel and B&W
                                yeah he would, since they come from the same distributor. Replace speakers first. 1500 can get you a nice pair of mains.
                                My Car Audio

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Keep in mind that every year receivers change because of new technology. I'd say speakers and then you get the feel of which directions to go with your new speakers. The B&W 600 is great... I love them. Come down to the B&W section to hear all the good things.
                                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                                    • Jun 2001

Have you considered looking at used speakers? I think that is a great way to go. You can get them at a fraction of the price. I just did a search on Audiogon and there are quite a few pairs of B&W speakers there in the $1,500 price range. They even had a pair of 803's at $1,400 there. I have bought my last couple of sets of speakers from Audiogon with great success. I have found that the nicer the equipment being sold there, the greater the success. Usually the people there love their stereo equipment as much as me! So, they are taken care of.

Jeff Aguilar

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"