X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ATLRick
    • Nov 2006

802ds

I currently have a pair of 803Ss powered by a McIntosh MC-252. I am nearing the end of my upgrade period for the speakers, and I am considering upgrading to 802ds. Does anyone have any experience with 802ds coupled with that amp or any quality amp in that power range. My dealer only has a MC-402 to listen to and its a PITA to lug my amp to the dealer. ;x(
  • Aldo
    • Sep 2005

I have 802Ds with the MC-252 they sound incredibly well, fine detaled, marvelous soundstage, GREAT combo!

Comment

• chuck1801
      • Feb 2006

You will find quite a few people on this board who have 802Ds powered with amps in the 200 wpc range, me included (3x802D with Classe CA-3200). I will say ditto to Aldo's description of the sound quality.

Comment

• Angioguy
        • Nov 2005

802D + Mac

I started with 803S and was initially going to get the MC-252, but then I realized I would sooner upgrade, which is why I went with the MC-402. Not long after, I got the 802D's... I couldn't be happier (at the moment)!
        B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• EDK
          • May 2005

I had the 803 powered with the Mc 402 and loved them. BUT,, when I went to the 802Ds, WOW!!!!!! the 802Ds are several steps above the 803s. I then went to the Mc501s monoblocks and all is great!

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ATLRick
            I currently have a pair of 803Ss powered by a McIntosh MC-252. I am nearing the end of my upgrade period for the speakers, and I am considering upgrading to 802ds. Does anyone have any experience with 802ds coupled with that amp or any quality amp in that power range. My dealer only has a MC-402 to listen to and its a PITA to lug my amp to the dealer. ;x(
            Heres a thought, what about going all the way to the 800d??? I upgraded from the 804S to the 802d and in retrospect, I would have seriously considered going straight to the pinnacle...in my opinion and to my ears, (flame suit on :f> ), the 802d have some qualities that I do not praticularly like especially at the price point. Dont get me wrong, the 802d are great speakers. They were just not right for me.

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
              Dont get me wrong, the 802d are great speakers. They were just not right for me.
              Tboooe,
              Dont you still own 802ds??
              Joey
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Heres a thought, what about going all the way to the 800d??? I upgraded from the 804S to the 802d and in retrospect, I would have seriously considered going straight to the pinnacle...in my opinion and to my ears, (flame suit on :f> ), the 802d have some qualities that I do not praticularly like especially at the price point. Dont get me wrong, the 802d are great speakers. They were just not right for me.
                Aside from the extreme bass, what differences can there be?

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• tboooe
                  • Jun 2005

well Kal i am no expert but the xovers and cabinet are different which i am sure changes the sound.

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

well Kal i am no expert but the xovers and cabinet are different which i am sure changes the sound.
                    I think its been said that the xover is the same.

I a/b the 802d's vs the 800d's with a classe system. (cp-700, cdp100, ca-m400's). To be honest with you, i think it would really depend on your room whether there would be much of a difference, maybe not enough to justify the expense in some cases. the 800d's were very subtle, and more efficient, but im not sure if they were worth $8k more, retail cost.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                      I think its been said that the xover is the same.

I a/b the 802d's vs the 800d's with a classe system. (cp-700, cdp100, ca-m400's). To be honest with you, i think it would really depend on your room whether there would be much of a difference, maybe not enough to justify the expense in some cases. the 800d's were very subtle, and more efficient, but im not sure if they were worth $8k more, retail cost.
                      I thought the 800d uses some better components in the xover even though the design of the xover is the same as the 802d.

Comment

• Jesse111
                        • Jul 2005

The 800D does in fact use better componants in the crossover. It is 2 inches taller and outperforms the 802 mostly in the upper mid bass is what I noticed. That's not a negative jab at the 802. For the price of the 800 it should perform better and does. If they ever make a 900D and it retails for 30k, I won't be offended if it outperforms my 800D. I'll expect it.

As for an amp for the 802, a pair of McIntosh 501's would take the 802 to it's full potential. Highly recommended.

Comment

• dknightd
                          • Mar 2006

It really depends on what you want and what you value. Sometimes I like to turn my music up way too loud, so I like to get an amp that insures the speaker will clip before the amp does. Obviously either is bad. . . Balance is key. You may want a bigger
                          amp for the 802 if you want to take advantage of their bigger power handling capacity. If you listen only at reasonable levels what you have is probably fine (in fact very good).

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

The crossovers and the mid and high drivers and their enclosures are the same. Only the bass enclosures are different. IMHO.

Kal
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
                              The 800D does in fact use better componants in the crossover.
                              I thought we debunked this a while back.

Kal
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Jesse111
                                • Jul 2005

Not debunked but proven as I recall. I believe it was a fact finding discussion between you (Kal) and Rebleman. Perhaps I am mistaken I will try to find the info again and post it.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                  Aside from the extreme bass, what differences can there be?
                                  Not to discredit the 802D in anyway, I would love to own an 802D for my center channel as my HTM3S must now go - more on this for another time, but the bass delivered by the 800D is not what I would call extreme but supreme! LOL

Seriously, I have auditioned the 802D on countless occasions and as good as they are the 800D, that I have lived with for more than two months, delivers bass that is to me ( and a few of your compatriots I might add ) quite proficient.

Have you heard a pair of 800D?
                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jesse111
                                    Not debunked but proven as I recall. I believe it was a fact finding discussion between you (Kal) and Rebleman. Perhaps I am mistaken I will try to find the info again and post it.
                                    It was determined the crossovers used in the D series speakers share the same components but varied in value. This alone wouldn't make the 800D a better speaker than the 802D. But crossover values aren't chosen at random. They are chosen to complement the types, sizes and arrangement of the drivers employed which will have an enormous impact on imaging and soundstaging.
                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ATLRick
                                      • Nov 2006

Thanks to all for your insight, my dealer has agreed to set up his demo 802Ds in my home theater room to listen to with my McIntosh MC-252 for a few days. I'll let you know what I think after some serious listening.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                        Not to discredit the 802D in anyway, I would love to own an 802D for my center channel as my HTM3S must now go - more on this for another time, but the bass delivered by the 800D is not what I would call extreme but supreme! LOL

Seriously, I have auditioned the 802D on countless occasions and as good as they are the 800D, that I have lived with for more than two months, delivers bass that is to me ( and a few of your compatriots I might add ) quite proficient.

Have you heard a pair of 800D?
                                        I have and I acknowledge the improvement in the bottom end due to the larger drivers/cabinet. (Ain't that what I said?) Besides, such is also extremely room-dependant, so a subjective assessment would be dependant on that.

Kal
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"