X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick778
    • May 2008

B&W 803D & Spectron Musician III SE Mk2

Several months ago I auditioned the 802D and 803D an decided to buy the 803D (along with the HTM2D, DS8S surrrounds and in-ceiling ccm-65 rear backs) as they were to me somewhat quicker and I wanted to have some money left over for a 'proper' amp.

I had been using a Rotel RB-1090 until I could make up my mind. The 1090 was ok at medium to loud listening levels but did not have the attributes I needed to really drive these great speakers.

I auditioned the typical classic parings of McIntosh 402/501 mono-blocks and the Classe CAM-400 mono-blocks. Each was very nice but what I really wanted was the Classe and the McIntosh sound in one amp but without any veil to the sound. I was leaning towards the Classe mono-blocks when I read a fantastic review on Audiogon. The person had 802Ds and powered by a Spectron Musician III SE. I had never heard on them before and read all the rave reviews from professoinal critics and users on Audio Review.

Eseentially the Spectron is a Class D amp but it does not use B&O IECs like many other Class D amps; they build their own and use a very high quality reconstruction output filter (you can read more of this on the Spectron Audio web page) and extremly high quality capacitors which require about 200-300 run-in time before the amps sounds its best.

On a leap of faith, I bought this amp in the newest Mk2 version and after 150 hours of run-in all I can say is WOW. It is exactly what I was looking for. Very extended but never harsh or bright (which is typical of most lesser priced Class D amps) high, liquid midrange similar to a tube amp and a powerful, tight and rich basss. My 803Ds have never sounded so good and they certainly sound better than the other options I was considering.

These amps produce 600 wattts@8 ohms and will drive even the most demanding speakers down to 0.1 ohms. The headroom, soundstage and musciality of the amp with my 803Ds is incredible in short.

I usually post and visit the Audiogon site but found this site and joined yesterday. I read through all the classic pairings of amps and speakers but didn't see anything on the Spectron.

This isn't a huge company but they prodcue an amazing amp. One reviewer used two of them in mono-block form to drive his 802Ds after first having just one amp and the results were stunning according to his review.

At 52 lbs and little to no heat, I am thrilled to found an alternative to the 'classic' (and expensive) pairing normally assoicated with driving the 'D' series B&W's.

For the time being, I drive my center surrounds and in-ceiling rears with a Rotel RMB-1095. For HT duties or all channel stereo, it will do for now.

Sould anyone have any questions, just let me know. I'd also again suggest you read the Spectron reviews on Audio Review and do a search on Spectron on Audiogon where there is a nice write-up on using the Spectron with 802Ds.
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I went on Audiogon to see what people were saying about this Spectrum amp. Not favorable to me so far with buzzing problems, break downs, lack of support and information, strained mids and highs, "power cords make a big difference with Spectrum", poor quality control, poor business management, over priced, etc. Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

Here are some links:
    Cross posted in amp forum: Just purchased the unit from another 'Goner. It makes phenomenal music, but has an electrical buzz/hum upon power-up which co...

I running Magnepan 3.6's with a Spectron Musician II. This amp puts out good base but the mids and highs are very strained. My question to fellow Goners...

Spectron had not been returning email or phone msgs over the last couple of months to dealers or customers, and emails are now being returned

Comment

• nick778
      • May 2008

These were older units like the Musician II and Spectron stops production to take care of any customer issues. The internals are modular and can be sent in to be repaired or replaced if there is an issue. With the evolution of the Musician III SE and now the MK 2 version, I belive those days are over with.

I am very satisfied with mine and Spectron answered all my questions before I bought one.

To each their own however.

There are also several positive reviews and all are extremely positive on Audio Review.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"