X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinyaar
    • Aug 2006

603 s3

Hi guys i have the 603 s partnered with a Nad C542 cd, NAD C 162 pre and a Rotel RB 1080 power. The interconnects are VDH bay hybrid and the speaker cables are VDH cleartrack Biwire.

The sound is just not up to the mark. What do u guys think the problem could be for this cluttered sound? Will changing the CD spinner help or should i save a bit and upgrade my speakers to something more.
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

look to optimizing your:
    speaker positioning and room acoustics.

Comment

• dinyaar
      • Aug 2006

603 s 3

Hi thanks for the reply. I personally preferred the NAd C162 pre to the rotel RC 1070. Of course the latter looks nice and matches the Power amp. I read some where that if it sounds good it matches. IS THIS TRUE? Will any way try and position my speakers better. Thanks

Comment

• wgriel
        • May 2006

[QUOTE=dinyaarThe sound is just not up to the mark. What do u guys think the problem could be for this cluttered sound? Will changing the CD spinner help or should i save a bit and upgrade my speakers to something more.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Mike C - while I don't know what you mean by "cluttered sound", I'd guess that this has more to do with room acoustics than source or electronics.

Upgrading speakers would certainly improve things, but if your room has serious acoustic problems it's far better to try and fix that.

Bill

Comment

• dinyaar
          • Aug 2006

603 s 3

hi, by cluttered i mean the sound does not have depth nor is the sound stage convincing. The room is small(5 metresX 3.5 Metres).

How does one change the room acoustics? I have marble on the floor, brick walls and some furniture in the above room and my electronics are housed in a teak wood rack.

Maybe i am wrong but i seem to feel the speaker cables i am using (Van den hul cleartrack biwire) maybe the root of the problem.
          Thanks anyway.

Comment

• mike c
            • Dec 2005

marble floors, brick walls ...

you need room acoustics:
            RealTraps - the acoustic treatment experts

Order Direct - GIK Acoustics designs made-to-order bass traps, acoustic panels and acoustic diffusion for home theaters, recording studios, restaurants, listening rooms, auditoriums, and any environment where listening is critical. 5-Star Rated from +500 reviews for our acoustic treatment panels and acoustic room treatments. GIK Acoustics is known for its expert room acoustics advice and as a leader in producing the highest quality acoustic panels and sound panels at the most affordable price. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, GIK Acoustics creates the most effective sound absorbing panels and sound diffusers for commercial and residential applications, used in any space where sound clarity is important.

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

mike c: have you used the GIK products? The absorption numbers look great, very similar to the Real Traps product. I am interested in the GIK Tri-Trap and the real Traps Corner Mondo Traps. The GIK is much cheaper.

thanks in advance!

Comment

• Cactus
                • Feb 2006

Just my 2 cents, but I think your speakers are way out classed by your nice Rotel RB1080 amp. I would ask your dealer if they have a trade in program and step it up to the 700 series. Even the 705's (in my opinion) blow the 603 out of the water. 603's are one of the least impressive models in B&W's great lineup.

Comment

• dinyaar
                  • Aug 2006

603 s3

Thanks guys.
                  Will try and get some advice on room acoustics. Here in Bombay India its difficult to get the such products.
                  Am sure the 700 and 800 series offer more but also at a considerably more cost.B&W in india costs 30 % more than in the US!!!! Thats quite a difference.
                  The damn problem is that the sole distributor is right under my apartment and though i try its damn hard not to keep dropping in and hearing the awesome stuff on display its not always possible. But i think i will keep the upgrading part for a little later. Will try to get the best possible sound from my current set up.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

dinyaar, both those sites I listed teach how to DIY room treatments.

tboooe, no, I plan on doing DIY myself (because shipping costs for me is too much) ... though I email both glen of GIK and ethan of realtraps with my questions all the time, they're both very helpful.

Comment

• dinyaar
                      • Aug 2006

603 s 3

Thanks a ton Mike will read it and try and do something . Thanks for ur time.

Comment

• pramod
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dinyaar
                        Thanks guys.
                        Will try and get some advice on room acoustics. Here in Bombay India its difficult to get the such products.
                        Am sure the 700 and 800 series offer more but also at a considerably more cost.B&W in india costs 30 % more than in the US!!!! Thats quite a difference.
                        The damn problem is that the sole distributor is right under my apartment and though i try its damn hard not to keep dropping in and hearing the awesome stuff on display its not always possible. But i think i will keep the upgrading part for a little later. Will try to get the best possible sound from my current set up.
                        Thanks again.
                        Hi dinyaar,

I can understand what you are talking about the prices in India, I'm also from India and you are right the prices are really higher then other markets.
                        I just want to give you info that I have paired my 602 S3 with NAD/Pre162/Power 272 with C542 CDplayer, and the all I can say is that the sound is really outstanding. try to hear my electronics combo on your speakers if it is possible ther in India, and I'm sure you will like it. yeah like others said in the forum the DIY is the best way to get what you want without speanding too much money..

All Luck Man
                        Pramod....

Comment

• dinyaar
                          • Aug 2006

603 s 3

Thanks pramod. I tried both power amps NAD C272 and ROTEL RB 1080. MY personal preference was the rotel. Thanks again.

Comment

• JudyLou
                            • Apr 2006

603 s3

Hi - There's nothing wrong with the 603 s3's - with the right equipment they sound pretty amazing.
                            I would stick to the Rotel pre and power amps - they are good - and one thing about the B&W's no matter what range, the better the equipment in the front, the better they perform. Try a Harman Kardon CD player, very musical at not a nutty price.
                            Yes - try getting your room acoustics better.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"