X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeller74
    • Nov 2007

603 s3's and NAD 2200 amp

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Looking to see if anyone is running this combo or any B&W with the 2200 amp and your opinion.

It's a vintage (87-89) G class amp, that has some crazy + 6 db of dynamic headroom...needless to say it can produce loud, clean, punchy deep bass that I've never heard through the 603's. Can the 603's handle the 2200 w/out speaker damage? Specs say it can produce between 400 and 800 watts per channel for music? I do know how to use a volume knob......my ears won't let me get past -3 on my T753 when playing CD music.

Thanks for any input.
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Wow -3? You must have a big space to fill, when I had my 603's I couldn't get past -12 on my T742 in a medium sized living space.

I don't think the 2200 will cause problems, I imagine your ears will give out long before the amp reaches its output capacity, 603's are a fairly easy to drive speaker.

But, it might be a good idea to send off an email to B&W about this to be sure it won't affect you warranty (keep a copy as well).

Comment

• WI Rotel
      • Jul 2006

The NAD is very good amp, however those power outputs were (and are illusory) they were stated in non standarized fashion and were at over 1 % distortion. In present standards that would be considered clipping, the many blown tweeters that the NAD was known to cause were a perfect example of such. My Carver was the same! Feel free to run your speakers with it. If its too loud the distressed highs will let you know very quickly. If you don't overdrive the NAD the sound should be excellent. One of the best systems I heard in the late 80's was that particular amp hooked up to some Allison CD9's it was a stunning combo!

Comment

• angelface
        • Oct 2007

The danger to speakers is not a too powerful amp but an amp that is not powerful enough being turned up so high that it distorts. It is this distortion that can damage
        the speakers.

NAD plus 603's might be a bit too much bass for my taste but otherwise it should sound good.
        Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• Zeller74
          • Nov 2007

Thanks for the input folks. I just hope if/when it goes in for repair, parts can be found to make it sound as good or better than it does now. As I've read that replacing the old solder with new can improve sound.

Anyone know of a good "vintage" audio tech in the Carolinas...for future reference?

Z

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

As I've read that replacing the old solder with new can improve sound
            Just my opinion but I don't think that's true as just the outside surface of the solder that's exposed to air would oxidize.

Now if you were to replace the old solder with better quality silver based solder then I believe there would be sonic improvement but how much improvement or whether you'd notice it is the real question.

Keep in mind that resoldering many components is labor intensive and could end up costing.

Also, I frequent another forum that deals with vintage equipment, I've never heard anybody talk about re-soldering a piece of equipment (unless a part was damaged)...I have heard of changing capacitors though as they are prone to drying up after a certain number of years.

Just some food for thought

Comment

• Zeller74
              • Nov 2007

George, do think replacing capacitors would change/improve the sound quality?

The amp is providing bass in spades, but the treble when played sort of low while watching tV or movie, seems a bit lacking.....could that be improved if capacitors or any other part was replaced? I don't know what has been done to this amp, but appareantly the prior owner/s took good care as there's not a scratch.

Z

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"