X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiophied
    • Apr 2006

Going from 2 channel to HT... help!

I'm in the process of expanding my 2 channel music setup to HT. Currently running N802s with Classe CAP 2100. I've just bought an HTM-1 but do not have an amp & processor to get it up and running!

So I need your advice with the electronics and rear speakers. I've spent too much money already on the speakers & classe integrated so I'm looking for the value alternative.

So I'm thinking of getting a rotel 1068 processor and a 1075 amp. Would this be my best option? (I'd be using 3 of the 5 channels of 1075 for center and rears as I can use the amps in the cap 2100 for the 802s via HT pass-through) Is this the best option in that price range or are there better alternatives?

For the rears I was wondering if 705s or cdm snts be close enough to N805s or SCM1s? I don't think I'll be listening to 5 channel music as I don't plan to buy a SACD player so would the less expensive setup be sufficient for HT?

I never imagined I'd end up spending so much money when I got into this hobby!

Thanks for everyone’s help in advance,
    Audiophied
  • MidFi
    • Jan 2005

If you're concerned about money then I would suggest going the 'hybrid' route using the pass through feature (If your integrated has one?). I have never heard a surround sound processor that sounds as good in two channel stereo mode as a hi quality dedicated pre-amp does, but there are many processors that do a great job at HT (such as Rotel). The center channel is very important, and you've selected a great one.
    You're thinking along the right lines. Save money on the rear surround speakers. There is very little sound of any weight or substance that comes from the rear speakers in home theater, mostly just 'fill' effects.
    I'm not positive, but your idea of using the two channels from your Classe to power HT may not be ideal because you would have to use the volume control on both the Classe and the processor to reach 'unity gain' (unless your integrated has amplifier inputs as well as line level inputs).
    Good Luck, you've got a great two channel system and I'm sure you're at least a little bit spoiled by the high level of sound quality you already have.

Comment

• audiophied
      • Apr 2006

unity gain?

thanks for your response mid-fi. I'm not sure what unity gain means. In HT passthrough mode, the classe's volume button is disabled and the volume is controlled via the processor. Given this mechanism, would I still have to be concerned with unity gain?

I was also curious, if you think that Rotel would be the best option (given that I'll be mixing classe for fronts with another brand for center channel and rears - btw does this even matter in HT?) Any use considering the likes of B&k and outlaw?

Thanks!
      Audiophied

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by audiophied
        thanks for your response mid-fi. I'm not sure what unity gain means. In HT passthrough mode, the classe's volume button is disabled and the volume is controlled via the processor. Given this mechanism, would I still have to be concerned with unity gain?
        Doesn't matter. As long as it is a fixed and repeatable gain setting, the channel balance setup in the processer will manage just fine.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• fauzigarib
          • Aug 2006

HT Passthrough

Audiophied,

If indeed the volume on the Classe is disabled in HT Passthrough, then yes, you don't have to worry about the Unity Gain that MidFi mentioned. I had experienced a similar issue when I initially plugged in my Lexicon processor into my system, the mains of which were being run by a Mac Integrated amp.

I didn't know of the HT passthrough before, so, since my SPL levels for HT have to be initially set and kept constant for HT applications, I would have to remember at what setting on the Mac's volume dial I had calibrated my HT. And each time I would want to watch a movie, I would have to physically turn my Mac's volume dial to that level before I started.

Because of the Passthrough, you will not have to do that. So yes, Rotel is a nice option. Also, if you don't mind used, some nice Lexicon processors are available that can be paired with the likes of a nice Adcom 5 channel. Once you start using the HT, you'll realize that you really don't have to spend too much on the surround electronics to get a tremendously immersing illusion, as long as you have a really solid processor in place.

My advice is allocate your budget to be 75-80% for the processor, and the rest for the amps.

*EDIT:* I meant to say, check out audiogon and ebay for the electronics. You're bound to get good deals if you are paitient enough.

Just a quick search netted this result from audiogon:

It's a $12,000 processor that is selling for 3,000 obo. Can't go wrong with this. Plus, I think this one has built in auto room calibration. If not, it at least has auto setup with mics. Man oh man... Lexicon and Classe and B&W! I don't know if it gets much better... ;x(

Of course you have to find a 5 channel amp... hmm.... I see a Rotel 1066 6 channel bridgeable (you can bridge the 2 center channels to feed your HTM), for $475.: Not familiar with this model, but I'm sure someone can chime in as to its quality:

*end EDIT:*
          Enjoy!

-Fauzi

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"