X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garrison
    • Oct 2010

Considering Source Components to work with Classe processor

I have been considering different source components to go along with my new Classe processor and amps. (that still hasn't come in!!!!)

i.e CD, SACD, Blue RayDVD, and no of the higher end equipment I can find offer Blue Ray 3D DVD

I've been considering a Classe CDP-502, CDP300 or going with marantz, Mcintosh, or esoteric...... I thought it would be nice to keep the delta series look across the board but with this kind of money I should get what works best.. Any recommendations??

then one of the most interesting things I've come across is the Meridian Sooloos to play back all my music. I currently have an apple TV. However, apple compresses the files and doesn't deliver quality sound. This is why I was considering a new classe CD player. The Sooloos delivers a higher quality than apple TV. I'm not sure how it compares to a dedicated CD player???

From my understanding the sooloos offers the best option to play back Cd's instead of a CD Player.. I hate having to try and find a place to store all my CD's and I hate having to get up and change Cd's.. So I have enjoyed my apple tv because there is constant music with no effort to change between artists.

It seems like the sooloos is a nice option without sacrificing quality of sound. I don't think it does SACD or DVD audio. This is something I need to check in to. Do any of you have the sooloos or considered this? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts??

As for Blue Ray.. I've been told it's not worth spending a lot of money on high end gear here. That a samsung will be just fine.. (FYI.. I have a samsung Blue Ray 3D DVD player) Was told the pick up on these were fine for movies...

Thanks in advance.... G
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by garrison
    then one of the most interesting things I've come across is the Meridian Sooloos to play back all my music. I currently have an apple TV. However, apple compresses the files and doesn't deliver quality sound.

This is why I was considering a new classe CD player. The Sooloos delivers a higher quality than apple TV. I'm not sure how it compares to a dedicated CD player???
    If we are considering CDs, then Apple TV does no compression. It is merely a conduit (or for Gen 1, also a storage device). iTunes is where the decision is made whether to compress or not. I use gen 1 with AIFF files, which are bit-for-bit copies of the CD. And they sound like it.

As for Blue Ray.. I've been told it's not worth spending a lot of money on high end gear here. That a samsung will be just fine.. (FYI.. I have a samsung Blue Ray 3D DVD player) Was told the pick up on these were fine for movies...
    I tend to agree. I use an Oppo BDP-83. The audio is passed out correctly, and it has an excellent scaler for the video.

Comment

• garrison
      • Oct 2010

Srrndhound..

Thanks for the info. However; if you order movies or music through your apple TV, they are compressed files. I understand this is through but it automatically compresses the files. With the number of songs & movies stored on this device they have to be compressed. If they weren't it has way to small of a hard drive for storage. This being the de-lima, I trying to consider other options for music listening that offer a higher quality than I currently have....

Thanks for the info...

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

If you buy music from the iTunes store, then yes, it's compressed. If you rip and store your own music from for example cd's, then no, it must not be compressed. AppleTv playing a lossless audio file is bit perfect.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

hi garrison,

for me a macmini as source for the "itunes" tracks and all what is "music on line" will be the best solution and not expensive.

the bluray 3D is a big flop: a 3d movie you can see on the cinema near your house but NOT in your home/room!!

compare the classe cdp502 and cdp300 is a very 8O : in place of the cdp300 the cdp102 give you more (always over the paper is the same "unit plus a extra video parts - but the cdp102 sound a lot better as the cdp300)

I will say a source for every use: a bluray player for movie, a cd player for movie (please dont' go with Mcintosh ops: - Esoteric sa50 or x05, Classe 202, marantz sa11s2, a second hand s1 or maybe a sa15s2 can give you a very surprise...

The all in one (read denon a1Ud or marantz ud9004) are (FOR ME) not a cd player and not a dvd player....
          a Oppo (example) is better as the a1ud! , with a Marantz sa11,15 or ki pearl
          you go have the best today available with a not mega price a dont too much expensive.....!!
          A player like the Marantz ud9004 is not bad attention but for the price is very waste your money, and in one year the "jewel" will be obsolet!!!

greeting style

Comment

• wxmanunr
            • Dec 2008

I have been considering different source components to go along with my new Classe processor and amps. (that still hasn't come in!!!!)

Thanks in advance.... G
            If you have an SSP-800 and plan to use it for D/A conversion, I wouldn't worry too much about the source as long as it gets the bits out right. I have/have tried the digital out of a CAL CL-20, Classe CDP-10, and Oppo BDP-83 into the SSP-800. I can't tell any difference.

wxmanunr

Comment

• garrison
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by style
              hi garrison,

for me a macmini as source for the "itunes" tracks and all what is "music on line" will be the best solution and not expensive.

the bluray 3D is a big flop: a 3d movie you can see on the cinema near your house but NOT in your home/room!!

compare the classe cdp502 and cdp300 is a very 8O : in place of the cdp300 the cdp102 give you more (always over the paper is the same "unit plus a extra video parts - but the cdp102 sound a lot better as the cdp300)

I will say a source for every use: a bluray player for movie, a cd player for movie (please dont' go with Mcintosh ops: - Esoteric sa50 or x05, Classe 202, marantz sa11s2, a second hand s1 or maybe a sa15s2 can give you a very surprise...

The all in one (read denon a1Ud or marantz ud9004) are (FOR ME) not a cd player and not a dvd player....
              you go have the best today available with a not mega price a dont too much expensive.....!!
              A player like the Marantz ud9004 is not bad attention but for the price is very waste your money, and in one year the "jewel" will be obsolet!!!

greeting style
              Style,

Thanks for the info.. I'm most likely going to have to go with a CD player but don't want to. I hate having to change out the CD's...

As for your comments concerning 3D. I already have a blue ray 3D in my room and it's better than at the movie theater!!! There are a few movies out now and sports are being broadcast in 3D.. Additional moves are coming out every month. Avatar is supposed to come out near the end of this month in 3D. The 3D in my room is amazing and better than any movie theater 3D movie I've been to. The 3D images are clearer and closer to you than at the movies....

You have to have a 3D TV, 3D glasses from the TV manufacturer and Blue Ray 3D player. Once you have all this your in business.

Getting off the subject a bit with this.. I was really trying to find out if anyone had the sooloos system and their thoughts on it..

Comment

• HedgeHog
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mjb
                If you buy music from the iTunes store, then yes, it's compressed. If you rip and store your own music from for example cd's, then no, it must not be compressed. AppleTv playing a lossless audio file is bit perfect.
                Dopey question: The new Apple TV outputs @ 48K while ALAC rips @ 44K. Is that still bit-perfect or will there be information loss/generated?

For OP:
                The BDP-83/83SE is now sold out @ Oppo. So your only bet will be left over inventory @ other authourized resellers or used. However, you can wait for the new BDP-93/95 to go with your HDMI 1.4 ready SSP-800.

You won't be able to rip easily SACD/DVD-A/BD due to DRM. Unless you do some form of decrypting first. So I don't know of any non-HTPC media servers that can be your source. *has Kaleidascape resolved their issue with going to a BD carousel?*

-H
                Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

@garrison,
                  8O glasses to see a movie? and AT TODAY for you is better as the "standard beamer or big 60" Kuro Pioneer ??
                  Sorry, with all the respect but I have try the 3D at the TopAudio Milaan and in München Germany...no thanks.
                  changing the cd? I LOVE THIS JOB!! changing and see the extra into the cd package!!!

over 3D: at the Euronews television I see a presentation from a new tecnologie: a man mad a sensor to be applicate to the hands and this give you the possiility to change the form of the "form" (a ball, the sun,..)
                  with the feeling in your hands to crush, pull, stretch the images on the video ....
                  normally with the 3D glasses and has brought the people to touch the images that
                  see .. This stretching their hands ....

But is a personally taste!

the sooloos is good solution if you serach a "last or the new source modus.."
                  the Amarra sogtware with Apple is too a very goo solution:
                  go see:http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/fo...ic=8173&st=150

or the new: http://www.devialet.com/index.php
                  the Devialet is really amazing! I thnk is what do you search!!

your opinion?!
                  thks Style

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Has anyone listened to and played with any of these Olive music servers? I'm thinking about going in this direction as I really don't want to mess with using my laptop computer as a server.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

hi brooks,

the Olive is one of the "gear" from the 2nd generation from the "new source"

in ieurope is present and sold from a lot of store. I dont love this new generation of source ut they are very easy to use and give performance at high level...
                      only listen 10 min. at the Topaudio but I dont can compare this product with the Devialet side by side....sure a top unit for a system fully all in one lossles in sound and "cable"

omar

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

hi brooks,

the Olive is one of the "gear" from the 2nd generation from the "new source"

in ieurope is present and sold from a lot of store. I dont love this new generation of source ut they are very easy to use and give performance at high level...
                        only listen 10 min. at the Topaudio but I dont can compare this product with the Devialet side by side....sure a top unit for a system fully all in one lossles in sound and "cable"

omar
                        Omar,

What is the - Devialet? Is it a pre-amp/amp with a built-in server? I looked at the web site and could not figure it out?

Never mind. I just read another source that listed the price tag.

"With so many features and that pretty chassis, you are probably expecting a high price, but I wonder how many actually came close to the $13,436 tag"

Comment

• garrison
                          • Oct 2010

[QUOTE=style]@garrison,
                          8O glasses to see a movie? and AT TODAY for you is better as the "standard beamer or big 60" Kuro Pioneer ??
                          Sorry, with all the respect but I have try the 3D at the TopAudio Milaan and in München Germany...no thanks.
                          changing the cd? I LOVE THIS JOB!! changing and see the extra into the cd package!!!

Style, Thanks for more info... I actually enjoy the 3D experience. Don't mind the glasses. If you go to the theater you have to wear them. I have a teenager (16) and she likes watching the 3D with me & my wife. It's new technology and she enjoys it.... It's about the only way to get her to spend time with dad. I actually have watched a few of the football games that have been broadcast in 3D and it's neat. The picture quality with the new SSP-800 HDMI 1.4 is excellent. Other processors don't project the 3D in 1080P like the new classe does... We actually have the 82" mitsubishi for our TV. Like it so far. Only had it a few months.....

Comment

• garrison
                            • Oct 2010

[QUOTE=style]@garrison,

Well as for changing Cd's all night long while listening to music... Not my thing. When we have friends over I don't want to have to worry about changing out CD's all the time. I certainly don't want them messing with my system and tearing something up (which has happened before)...

I want to have a system that plays continuously and can be shuffled between songs, artists, genre's, etc. without sacrificing quality/performance. This seems to be the sooloos system mentioned earlier.

I'm going to review the info you sent on the other options to see how they work. Thanks for the info..

Garrison

Comment

• garrison
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by beden1
                              Has anyone listened to and played with any of these Olive music servers? I'm thinking about going in this direction as I really don't want to mess with using my laptop computer as a server.

http://www.olive.us/products.html

Beden

I am using an iPad for my remote to run everything.. The sooloos I am considering will run directly from the iPad.. Not sure if the Olive will do this but it's something to consider...

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                • Sep 2008

Srrndhound..

Thanks for the info. However; if you order movies or music through your apple TV, they are compressed files. I understand this is through but it automatically compresses the files.
                                Just to clarify, the files are compressed before you bought them. There is no automatic compression in Apple TV. But nonetheless, if you buy compressed files, they are indeed compressed.

Patient to doctor: "It hurts when I do this."
                                Doctor to patient: "Don't do that."

With the number of songs & movies stored on this device they have to be compressed. If they weren't it has way to small of a hard drive for storage. This being the de-lima, I trying to consider other options for music listening that offer a higher quality than I currently have.
                                Whether 160 GB is sufficient is something you have to decide. I don't waste my time (or disc space) with movie files--the quality isn't very good. That's what BD is for. So for audio only, I can fit 400 CDs in their entirety using Apple lossless. And it's pretty rare that I want all the songs from each CD. So space is not a problem for me.

If by "higher quality than I currently have" means 96/24 files, yes, the standard Apple TV will not help you there. But if you mean CD quality, the Sooloos will sound the same as a gen1 AppleTV via the SSP-800.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                  • Jul 2008

Beden

I am using an iPad for my remote to run everything.. The sooloos I am considering will run directly from the iPad.. Not sure if the Olive will do this but it's something to consider...

FWIW, according to their website, Olive has iPad/iPhone apps. I believe there is a new sever, the Olive 6, about to come out.

Jim

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                    • May 2008

Jim is correct!

I have the Olive 4HD, which has 2 TB of storage, can play FLACS in 24b/192k and can be operated by the remote, an Iphone/Ipad or from your main computer. It has a color screen which will display the artwork as well. the new 6HD is enroute, but not a lot of info is out about it yet.

I really like my Olive, it works well and they are upgrading the software on a regular basis...
                                    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                      Jim is correct!

I have the Olive 4HD, which has 2 TB of storage, can play FLACS in 24b/192k and can be operated by the remote, an Iphone/Ipad or from your main computer. It has a color screen which will display the artwork as well. the new 6HD is enroute, but not a lot of info is out about it yet.

I really like my Olive, it works well and they are upgrading the software on a regular basis...
                                      That sounds positive about Olive. Did you have them load your CDs or did you do it yourself? How long does it take to load a CD?

Comment

• garrison
                                        • Oct 2010

Jim is correct!

Thanks for the info on the olive. I'm going to have to look into considering it compared to the sooloos. I just want to be sure that if I spending the time and money to put together a great system that I don't sacrifice sound quality by using an inferior source component..

G

Comment

• Gump
                                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                                          When you purchase music on iTunes via your computer, iPhone, etc. it arrives in a lossy format. I bought the new "Viva Elvis" today on my iPhone (it's pretty cool too, check it out!) and imported it to my Mac as AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) which is indeed compressed. I then clicked on the songs (highlighting them) and then clicked on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the iTunes page. The 5th choice down is "Create AIFF Version". When you click on that you are indeed quickly provided AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) versions of the songs. These are lossless and uncompressed PCM versions.

Voila'! You're in business! I have the 1st generation Apple TV which gives me the option of either synching the songs to the ATV's hard drive or streaming from my computer's storage. The recent ATV only allows streaming. I have a 2T external hard drive so space isn't really a major issue.

Here are the specifics of the two different formats on one song (Suspicious Minds):

AAC Format
                                          Size: 8.8 MB
                                          Bit Rate: 256 kbps
                                          Sample Rate: 44.00 kHz

AIFF Format
                                          Size: 45.1MB
                                          Bit Rate: 1,411 kbps
                                          Sample Rate: 44.100 kHz
                                          Sample Size: 16 bit

The AIFF is bit for bit lossless and should sound as good as a cd. Similar, if not identical to lossless WAV files. I prefer the AIFF because it is more compatible with Mac/iTunes and provides all the album art etc.. Mr. Jobs is a bit territorial you may or may not have noticed. I have no direct experience with Sooloos or Olive, but they certainly have excellent reputations (with price tags to match of course).

I did a lot of comparison listening between WAV and AIFF and felt that the only differences I was hearing were imagined if at all, so I went with the Apple product (AIFF) which is more compatible with my stuff.

My wife has her own separate iTunes library (another benefit to ATV as we have some different musical tastes) which is all AAC lossy and still sounds pretty darn good. The difference for me became relevant after extended listening sessions and was related to fatigue. After a while the AAC became slightly irritating as opposed to to AIFF which was pleasant for much longer periods. Of course that might be my wife's musical tastes....a little Lady GaGa goes a long way .

At any rate, that's just my own opinion and I recognize that I'm playing with fire here dabbling with this topic. For anyone who wants to engage in any techno-babble blind test argument reference my views on this be advised that I will not engage. 8)

I like my Apple TV. A lot. It looks cool. I can choose to have either my album covers or Apple provided pictures or my own family photos float across the screen which not only looks impressive but also saves my plasma from any risk of screen burn in, all while the music is playing. It's super easy to use and I'm not sure that I'll ever purchase another CD again. And the price is appealing as well; $99 as opposed to thousands. I'm not even going to get into the movies, TV shows, Internet Radio, etc. options that are available with the ATV.

As far as music goes with my SSP-800's DACs at work it sounds phenomenal. With the set up done correctly the musician is in the room with me. I toss Joe Bonamassa "Walking Blues" on and anyone who hears it jaw hits the floor....and for that matter, so does mine! Very cool! If I really want to impress or just want to bust out the "good stuff" I'll go with my SACD collection on my OPPO. Best of both worlds. Although I am curious about the HD music available for download I am content for now.

Good luck with your decision and with this hobby always let your ears be the judge!

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gump
                                            I bought the new "Viva Elvis" today on my iPhone (it's pretty cool too, check it out!) and imported it to my Mac as AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) which is indeed compressed. I then clicked on the songs (highlighting them) and then clicked on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the iTunes page. The 5th choice down is "Create AIFF Version". When you click on that you are indeed quickly provided AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) versions of the songs. These are lossless and uncompressed PCM versions.
                                            You are correct the AIFF, like WAV, is a PCM format. But when you convert the purchased AAC file to AIFF, it has exactly the same sound quality at the AAC source. It's just stored as PCM instead if in its compressed format. It is not downloading an AIFF source file.

Comment

• mdonda
                                              • Nov 2010

hi garrison,

greeting style

Why do you not recommend the Mcintosh? I noticed you changed from the MC207 to the Classe amp. What was your reason for doing so?

Comment

• mjb
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mdonda
                                                Why do you not recommend the Mcintosh? I noticed you changed from the MC207 to the Classe amp. What was your reason for doing so?
                                                I think at this level, it must come down to taste, and not really a case of one being "better" than the other. I personally love the almost retro Mac look, but unfortunately no one around here sells it, so an audition is difficult! On the other hand, the excellent Classé and B&W synergy is very well known, and can never disappoint.
                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• mdonda
                                                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mjb
                                                  I think at this level, it must come down to taste, and not really a case of one being "better" than the other. I personally love the almost retro Mac look, but unfortunately no one around here sells it, so an audition is difficult! On the other hand, the excellent Classé and B&W synergy is very well known, and can never disappoint.
                                                  Are you satisfied with the CA-2200 powering your 802D's, or do you think you will need to upgrade to a more powerfull amp in the future...maybe the CA-M400? What speakers are you using for your surrounds?
                                                  I have a very similar setup with the CA-3200 and CA-5100, but still looking for a good preamp that has a bypass loop for HT.

Comment

• mjb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mdonda
                                                    Are you satisfied with the CA-2200 powering your 802D's, or do you think you will need to upgrade to a more powerfull amp in the future...maybe the CA-M400? What speakers are you using for your surrounds?
                                                    I have a very similar setup with the CA-3200 and CA-5100, but still looking for a good preamp that has a bypass loop for HT.
                                                    Yes, very satisfied! I won't be buying a pair of M400's, I'll stay with this setup for a while. Using SCMS's for the rears, rated at 120 watt.
                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                      • May 2008

That sounds positive about Olive. Did you have them load your CDs or did you do it yourself? How long does it take to load a CD?
                                                      I loaded them myself...it does take about a minute to rip them. You can also drag and drop any music you have on your computer, so for example, the hi res flacs I have downloaded you just drop them on your computer screen into the Olive.

It isn't perfect, it is of course still computer based so sometimes it gets the wrong metadata off the web for example. It does seem that Olive is trying hard and listening, they are doing updates quite often and email you to let you know they are available.
                                                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

I loaded them myself...it does take about a minute to rip them. You can also drag and drop any music you have on your computer, so for example, the hi res flacs I have downloaded you just drop them on your computer screen into the Olive.

It isn't perfect, it is of course still computer based so sometimes it gets the wrong metadata off the web for example. It does seem that Olive is trying hard and listening, they are doing updates quite often and email you to let you know they are available.
                                                        Will it also accept the songs that I bought through Apple for my iPod Classic?

Comment

• Eliav
                                                          • Jul 2005

[QUOTE=garrison]
                                                          @garrison,

Well as for changing Cd's all night long while listening to music... Not my thing. When we have friends over I don't want to have to worry about changing out CD's all the time. I certainly don't want them messing with my system and tearing something up (which has happened before)...

I want to have a system that plays continuously and can be shuffled between songs, artists, genre's, etc. without sacrificing quality/performance. This seems to be the sooloos system mentioned earlier.

I'm going to review the info you sent on the other options to see how they work. Thanks for the info..

Garrison
                                                          Try the Sooloo by Meridian, these are high end music servers. i listened to the control 15 system (http://www.meridian-audio.com/sooloos/), connected to the Chord QBD 76 DAC,sounded like heaven ! I am considering gradual shift from my Classe cdp 202 to the Sooloo's/ Chord combo.
                                                          you can control music from your iPad/iPod, and have all the online info on every album, artist etc. This source combo sounded amazing with the Classe CAM 600 and B&W 800di's.
                                                          :T Socrat

Comment

• JuhaP
                                                            • Jul 2008

I personally use Windows 7 based mediacenter with RME Audio HDSP 9632 soundcard to play 2 channel audio. It is currently connected via XLR breakout cable to SSP-800. The music is streamed in lossless format from other server over the network.

Comment

• Gump
                                                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                                                              You are correct the AIFF, like WAV, is a PCM format. But when you convert the purchased AAC file to AIFF, it has exactly the same sound quality at the AAC source. It's just stored as PCM instead if in its compressed format. It is not downloading an AIFF source file.
                                                              Yup. Your right Srrndhound (as usual Mr. Smartypants ). It does in fact convert the AAC to AIFF thus degrading the quality of the sound. I was duped by the word "create" an AIFF version as opposed to "convert". Silly me. Most of my music I ripped from my CD collection so I still have the AIFF version.

I still think it is possible to download Studio Master FLAC files in iTunes with certain software downloads, but I haven't had time to try it myself yet. (barely had time to answer this forum entry). Linn Audio web site actually has the directions to do it using a shareware program called "MAX" which will actually send the songs directly to your iTunes library. And there are others too.

Not sure how they end up played on ATV or if it will even work via that method.

The sooloos method seems like the best route from everything I've read, but the ATV is a nice economical option for me.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
                                                                I am considering gradual shift from my Classe cdp 202 to the Sooloo's/ Chord combo. you can control music from your iPad/iPod, and have all the online info on every album, artist etc. This source combo sounded amazing with the Classe CAM 600 and B&W 800di's.
                                                                Consider also a Mac Mini. The new ones have HDMI, and can also be controlled from iPads/iPods/iPhones for about a quarter of the price of the Sooloos.
                                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Hi
                                                                  Yeah, I have come across the Mini Mac idea, my questions are ; which software you use for CD ripping/playback ? I assume iTunes is not the best for high end music playback. Besides, I was told that with the Sooloo your music is backed up with a lifetime warranty, whereas if you loose your collection if the Mac crashes , it is literally gone for good. The Sooloo I auditioned was so fast to respond, almost no delay time, once you selected an album/song it is immediately found and played, is the Mac as fast ? And.. is the USB 2 the best solution to connect Mini mac with a high end DAC ?
                                                                  Thanks
                                                                  Eliav

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2008

Will it also accept the songs that I bought through Apple for my iPod Classic?
                                                                    Yes, you just drag and drop what you want on your computer and it will wirelessly move to your Olive. That said, you will be playing MP3s which of course don't sound as good as FLAC's taken from the CD or better yet the high res files.
                                                                    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• mjb
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Hi
                                                                      Yeah, I have come across the Mini Mac idea, my questions are ; which software you use for CD ripping/playback ? I assume iTunes is not the best for high end music playback.
                                                                      I just use iTunes because:
                                                                      a) it supports most (but not FLAC*) formats, including lossless
                                                                      b) its bit perfect with lossless
                                                                      c) excellent remote control (and free) integration with iPads/iPods
                                                                      d) automatic tagging an album art
                                                                      e) its free
                                                                      * FLAC support can be added with a plugin, I've not used it though.
                                                                      Besides, I was told that with the Sooloo your music is backed up with a lifetime warranty, whereas if you loose your collection if the Mac crashes , it is literally gone for good.
                                                                      I'm not sure about gone for good, that sounds a bit stretched. Time Machine automatically backs-up hourly to an external drive, and is included for free.

The Sooloo I auditioned was so fast to respond, almost no delay time, once you selected an album/song it is immediately found and played, is the Mac as fast ?
                                                                      Instantaneous!

And.. is the USB 2 the best solution to connect Mini mac with a high end DAC ?
                                                                      Personally, I use the Mini's HDMI out hooked up to my SSP-800. The Mini also has optical out, I've used this in the past and it sounds great. A USB DAC could also be used, but I've not tried it
                                                                      - Mike

Main System:
                                                                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2005

Thanks Mike !

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

Hi
                                                                          Yeah, I have come across the Mini Mac idea, my questions are ; which software you use for CD ripping/playback ?...
                                                                          Just to revisit this...I noticed a lot of hardcore Mac audiophiles use Amarra. http://www.sonicstudio.com/ Cha-ching, though. :E

-H
                                                                          Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                                                          Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                                                          B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                                                          Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                                                          Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"