X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

2 Channel to HT Integration

Ok, for those interested in top quality 2 channel music, in addition to theater, but don't have the room or the money perhaps to have separate listening and viewing rooms, what's your solution?

I will start by saying I run a Classe' CP-35 connected via XLR Silvercats to a Proceed HPA-2 amplifier. The Classe' is fed by a Rega Jupiter redbook CD player ($1900.00)

Ahh, but wait, the HPA-2 is also the amplifer for my unbalanced Lexicon MC-1. That means instead of 7,000 for 2 amps, it's 3500 for 1 amp, serving dual purpose. Not only that, but my 4K Sonus faber Concert Grand Pianos don't have to be replicated either.

The MC-1 is connected to the HPA-2 which sits in the floor in front of my HT via BlueTiger RCA cables. Simply, to go back and forth between music and movies, I just flip 2 switches on the back of my amp, which remember, is in the floor for easy access. I hope soon to add a second Lovan stand for my amp. The Classe and Rega already sit atop a low rider Lovan stand, so they block nothing on the RPTV.

Often times, I just leave the mains set to the music setting, even while watching TV, because, 95% of TV is either center or surrounds anyway. There's very little left and right main, and besides, if it's really important, I simply flip the switch, as it was when Diana Krall was on Jay Leno last night.

Sure, a pre-amp with unity gain would be nice. But for what I paid for the Classe, I have very nice 2 channel. Sometimes, semi-separate is good enough.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • pf
    • Oct 2000

Hi Lex, you are lucky the Proceed let you flip the switch on the fly while my Brystons (don't know 'bout the Citadels though) wouldn't do it without a big commotion. Well that just give me more reasons to play some tubes & use up more IC's.

PF

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Hi Po-ming, glad you could drop in. Yeah, I remember you expressing concern about my dual cabling of the HPA-2 when I did it. Lucky for me, the HPA-2 doesn't care if the Lexicon and the Classe are on at the same time. He doesn't even make an audible click. Very nice.

But hey, it works for me that you need more cables, lol.

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

My musical fidelity amp has ballanced inputs as well but there's no switch between those inputs and the RCA inputs. For now I'm looking at an all in one box but may end up with a passive pre amp for 2 channel...we'll have to wait and see how good the all in one box is

Comment

• Ricky
          • Aug 2000

Lex,

That's a great way that your proceed amp has the unity gain feature A nice way to get/use a balanced amp...if you can put the amp on the floor, in the open. Music must sound really nice.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Yeah Ricky, "the right" music is sounding pretty darn good on my system. I now think the single largest improvement area for upgrade would be speakers. But that would have to be a fairly expensive upgrade.

With the new Silver Centauri speaker cables, and silver everywhere else, I get a high level of detail with my electronics.

The Sonus fabers are best suited for jazz, blues, and other articulate music forms. This is not a rock and roll system. Though it can rock a bit. As I continue to tweak it, I like my system better and better.

Lex
            Doug

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"