X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Mr bass 007,
    I wrote to you and asked for a counter offer ,as your price that you are asking is what I could get at a store brand new and without the VAT cost which I wouldn't be paying if it were exported ..right???
    Are you willing to sell at a fair price, because the price you gave me Is a store price and your speakers have been opened and used.
    If you are still willing to sell please notify me...Thanks!!
    Chinets

Comment

• bass007
      • Feb 2006

chinets, where abouts are you? and you didn't write to me.

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

bass007,
        I wrote to you on this thread and you gave me a price, and I felt it was the same price I could get in London brand new out of the box with warranties and no VAT of 17% if it were shipped to where I am in the Middle East.
        I asked you if you can give me a fair an decent price which does not include VAT price and to have a reduction as these are not brand new speakers. I can pick them up from the U.K. and have them shipped with me as unaccompanied luggage back to my neck of the woods.
        So if you give me a fair price and take away the VAT which I should not pay since these speakers will be exported out of the U.K. and European community then I will consider buying them from you In the U.K. What do you think??? That was my solid offer. The price of 6,700 pounds you offered is what you get brand NEW at a store price in any shop that sells B and W speakers In the U.K. , I know since I'm British and go to the U.K. 4 times a year ,at least.
        If you give me a good offer I will buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Awaiting your answer In anticipation,
        Thanks pal,
        Chinets

Comment

• JKalman
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bass007
          Hi, after trying to get a home demo of these speakers it proved impossible, anyway, I took the plunge and got a pair (802D) looks fantasic, extremley heavy, except in my room it sounds extremley bass heavy., not the speakers fault but most likely my room.

I have a Musical Fidelity KW500 Amp driving them, and a wadia 302 Cd player. Playing jazz is fine sounds classy and detailed, play some music with a hint of bass and the whole thing drown in the bass, even at very very low volume, I have had them for about 2 months now they have been playing 24/7 isoteck test disc goes in at night to exercise the bass and the rest of the day normal music, at very low volume because of the bass.

I am now considering selling it beacuse of this problem just wonndering if anyone has any ideas which may help?
          Find what frequency in the bass range the room is resonating with (spiking at) and install frictional dampers at the right distances along your entire room boundaries (the distances for installing the dampening material is 1/4 of the wavelength of the frequency which is causing the problem - i.e. -- in its anti-node). So first you will need to measure the frequency responce of your listening position to locate the areas in the spectrum which are spiking, then you can treat the specific problem area/areas. I recommend a good book on room acoustics and sound treatment for more info on this topic.

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bass007
            Hi,

I have trised pulling them away from the walls, no difference whats so ever, I tried porting the reflex port but seems almost impossible.

Do you think that putting the speakers on a concrete slab would help?

Just to put things into perspective, my room is 4x4m ( 13Fx13f approx)

Tried different cables Nordost Red dawns but still.
            Ouch, a square room is likely the worst space for audio playback... scratch what I last said, you need a new room whose dimensionas aren't numerically related and which isn't maximizing standing waves.

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
              all of this talk about room size has me a bit concerned since I am seriously considering 802D. Right now I am in a 15 X 20 room but I intend on moving my setup into my den which is not much bigger than 13 x 13. Do the 802D really need a big room to sound their best? I dont mind putting some room treatments up but if it is going to take a huge effort in order to make the 802D sound good in my den then I may have to rethink this. I have read other members with 802s in small room and no one mentioned any problems before.

By the way, what does "tubby" mean?
              A big room is always a plus, but what is more important is the ratios between height, width and length, e.g. two of your dimensions are multiples of 5 which will cause problems due to similar modes between them. This will be a problem that occurs with any speakers you place in the room.

Comment

• Grasynoll
                • Mar 2006

A 10 x 10 room is crying out for 805's or 804's. If you told your dealer your room dimensions and he still sold you 802's then he should give you a full refund.

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

LOL, I've hit this post way too late, seems most everything has been covered...

In any case here is a link to a site which posts AES research on room ratios which have been found to be the most conducive to music playback: Ratios

Comment

• JKalman
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Grasynoll
                    If you told your dealer your room dimensions and he still sold you 802's then he should give you a full refund.
                    And afterward should probably be drawn and quartered... Then have his head mounted on a diamond tweeter.

Comment

• snowball
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Spearmint
                      I would just like to make a suggestion if I may and that is installing a Behringer CX2310 between your pre and power amp. This will allow you to utilize a subwoofer in your setup and allow the introduction of EQ to the bottom frequencies.
                      sorry for my ignorance but what is the behringer cx2310?
                      it looks nice,but what does it do?

Comment

• Spearmint
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by snowball
                        sorry for my ignorance but what is the behringer cx2310?
                        it looks nice,but what does it do?
                        It is an adjustable crossover, I use one in my system so I can use subs for the bottom end of my speakers in 2ch mode. Being able to segregate the bass then allows the use of relatively cheap EQ’s like the Behringer to fix some of the problem modes in the bottom end without having these additional A/D & D/A in circuit with your mids and highs.

I was also under the impression that the 802D could be tri-amped therefore a DEQ2496 or similar EQ (as per Phil Rose suggestion) could be used with the woofers.
                        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• bass007
                          • Feb 2006

chinets, you have PM

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

bass007,
                            You have PM reply ,so please check and respond with thanks.
                            Chinets

Comment

• Indytown
                              • Apr 2005

Go find a McIntosh C46 Pre amp and demo it. It may work for you. It has a tight EQ band adjustment. - Indy

Comment

• bass007
                                • Feb 2006

Hi I am a new to this forum, just wondering if there is a classifieds section I cannot seem to find it. I need to sell my 802D in the UK

Comment

• Kobus
                                  • Aug 2005

On the front page, its called "The Pawn Shop".

Kobus

Comment

• norpus
                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
                                    It is an adjustable crossover, I use one in my system so I can use subs for the bottom end of my speakers in 2ch mode. Being able to segregate the bass then allows the use of relatively cheap EQ’s like the Behringer to fix some of the problem modes in the bottom end without having these additional A/D & D/A in circuit with your mids and highs.

I was also under the impression that the 802D could be tri-amped therefore a DEQ2496 or similar EQ (as per Phil Rose suggestion) could be used with the woofers.
                                    Hi Spearmint
                                    Found you again!
                                    My MX2310 and MX882 we discussed will be arriving tomorrow so will look forward to getting you around next month to help me tune things up for the subs to go with the biamped 802D (I put you crook on the triamp thing - they only have 2 sets terminals on back I discovered when they arrived Sat)
                                    Cheers
                                    Norpus
                                    "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• Ultrasonic
                                      • Feb 2006

My room is also 4x4m and i have to say far to small for a speaker like the 802D.

Sometimes its not about getting the higher models but a pair that will suit your room acoustics. I use cdm 9 nts and would'nt even consider going bigger until i move out and have a big living room to play with. With an amp like the kW 500 they are also being fed serious power which will equate to a massive sound-far too overbearing for your room.

Some 804s will sound much better and with the money saved get a better cd player, the 302 really is Wadia's worse, i can name a number of sub £1000 machines that can teach it a thing or two.

Cheers
                                      Ultra

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Ultrasonic
                                        Some 804s will sound much better and with the money saved get a better cd player, the 302 really is Wadia's worse, i can name a number of sub £1000 machines that can teach it a thing or two.

Cheers
                                        Ultra
                                        Which ones?
                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• bass007
                                          • Feb 2006

Yeah which ones?

Anyway I has the CD1NT's before with the KW500 and it there was no boom overhang, and was happy I should have up-graded.

Two things I am now considering,

Wilson Benesch Arcs and Wadia 861 or Wilson Benesch Discovery and Musical fidelity A5 CD player.

Ultrasonic, care to name some of these CD players

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                            • Nov 2004

bass007, something to try, which may solve the problems before you go and sell your speakers.

I have had similar problems with the bass of my Energy C9s in bypass mode,and have found something that has nearly eliminated the problem.

Phase plugs, as used in some B&W speakers. (may have it wrong, they may be called flow port bungs, not sure)

My speakers did not come with phase plugs or port bungs and were probably not designed with these plugs in mind, however I have found it to work well in controlling the bass without any apparent negative affects.

My 1st experiment with phase plugs were in fact a pair of socks stuffed into front port. My speakers also have a rear port however stuffing the rear port had little effect. I will try other materials eg foam and see what I get.

I know it sounds unusual, but it has worked well for me.

What is there to lose, lf you give it a go let us know what you find.

Take a look at my thread at "Club Rotel" titled
                                            "1068 bypass mode,bass overkill"

Pete :T
                                            Last edited by bleeding ears; 10 April 2006, 11:36 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"