X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

D Tweeters fragile??

In light of what happened to misterdoggy's tweeter on his 802D (which I also plan on getting soon), I am a bit concerned about the fragility of the diamond tweeter. Is there any widespread issues with the diamond tweeters? I was hoping that this next speaker upgrade for me would last for a loooong time. Replacing tweeters at $1000 a pop is not what I am looking for in a long term speaker...
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

His amp also broke, so maybe it clipped hard enough to break the tweeter. It is unclear if the tweeter broke later or if he just discovered it later.

Unless someone simply poked it...

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Jimm777,
      Don't you think he would have know that he had a tweeter blown???? He can't just discover it if he listened to anything on his speakers, I assume he would have noticed a sound difference..Right? . Unless he did not listen to his speakers after the Lexicon amp blew up???????? So therefore, He noticed the problem ONLY after his amp got fixed and was able to use his Hi Fi system???? Forensic HiFi stuff is intreaging here!!!!!!!

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by chinets
        So therefore, He noticed the problem ONLY after his amp got fixed and was able to use his Hi Fi system????
        That is what I was trying to say.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Well It would only be noticeable in a certain range. That is to say not all the time but only where the tweeter works.

It wasn't the Amp that blew, but the power supply in the Processor. I could understand easier if it was the amp.

I think it happened at the same time, but am not 100%.

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

misterdoggy,

Was it the right speaker? The right tweeter in this picture looks like it could have a hole in it similar to the one shown in your closeup.

Last edited by greggz; 12 March 2006, 01:06 Sunday.
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

That's very observant of you Gregg.

Comment

• greggz
                • Jun 2002

My thinking is... if this picture shows the speaker with a broken tweeter and it was taken before the problem misterdoggy had with his Lexicon processor, then it would support a warranty claim with B&W that the tweeter was defective and shattered under normal use.
                Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• tboooe
                  • Jun 2005

bigburner...how have you been. havent seen you on these boards lately...

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                    In defense of doggy, sometimes it is not easy to casually determine if all the drivers are working. Sometimes I will actually put my ear to the individual drivers to make sure.

The tweeter crossover frequency is 4kHz. This is a pretty high frequency. Not many instruments can produce fundamental notes that high and higher. Mostly, the tweeter is adding the high frequency harmonics. This can be tricky to detect. Usually it takes some time during a listening session to realize that something may be wrong. Often the first indication is image wander. Then its time for the old "ear up to the speaker" test which will confirm the problem or lack thereof.

Sparky
                    Last edited by Karma; 15 March 2006, 13:59 Wednesday.

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

sparky:

lol...i do the same thing sometimes. I put my ear up to the speakers because i am paranoid i am not getting the absolute best sound out of my speakers. often times its just wax build up in my ear...

Comment

• george_k
                        • Jan 2004

What do you do about people with curious fingers when you have a set of those around, it's scary that an accident will now set you back 10x more than what it has in the past.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by greggz
                          My thinking is... if this picture shows the speaker with a broken tweeter and it was taken before the problem misterdoggy had with his Lexicon processor, then it would support a warranty claim with B&W that the tweeter was defective and shattered under normal use.
                          Greggz

I take a lot of fotos. One is of the System Feb 3, 2006 (before incident) after adding the Lexicon where you can see the tweeter intact, and the other taken after adding the Preamp Pass labs X1, is after the incident. So No question what so ever.

Plus the noise when it happened. Like a Rock hitting your windshield.

Everything sounds OK. What should I be listening for ?

Attached Files

Comment

• EAmin
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by tboooe
                            In light of what happened to misterdoggy's tweeter on his 802D (which I also plan on getting soon), I am a bit concerned about the fragility of the diamond tweeter. Is there any widespread issues with the diamond tweeters? I was hoping that this next speaker upgrade for me would last for a loooong time. Replacing tweeters at $1000 a pop is not what I am looking for in a long term speaker...
                            I listened to some 802Ds yesterday, and am very close to an upgrade. I want/need the 802Ds and an HTM2D, but I'm a littled worried about this too. I'm probably not as hardcore as many of you are as I have many uses to my system: HT, music --- even Karaoke. I've had absolutely no problems with my 703/HTM7 setup (even with my kids screaming through the Karaoke microphones). I don't mind droppin' the dough for D series speakers, but I'm kinda worried too. But then again, I've already blown the amplifiers on both of my Velodyne DD-15s. Maybe, these types of situations do eventually happen after time. If the D tweeters are more sensitive then the S tweeters, then my upgrade will have stay with that series.

Comment

• ED K
                              • Apr 2005

I have had the 802Ds for over six months, driving them with Bryston 600 watt monoblocks at fairly high volumes for extended times. Have had no problems. At this point I don't have any concern with the diamond tweeters being too fragil. As long as I keep fingers off the tweeters I don't anticipate a problem.
                              Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• aphexist
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EAmin
                                ...even Karaoke. I've had absolutely no problems with my 703/HTM7 setup (even with my kids screaming through the Karaoke microphones).
                                Ladies and gentlemen: A perfect example of an easy way to blow your tweeters.

Comment

• jim777
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aphexist
                                  Yeah, especially if they think that the 800 series tweeter is a mic...

Comment

• EAmin
                                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by aphexist
                                    LOL! I don't want to be singing the blues --- I guess I better move my CD-G player out of my system. Or, maybe use the TV speakers for this. :rofl:

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                                      bigburner...how have you been. havent seen you on these boards lately...
                                      Tommy, I'm very well thank you. I post occasionally but I spend more time these days listening to and researching music. My current project is Willie Dixon. What a prodigious song writer. I've also changed my system around to be more DVD oriented. Although it's in the same room, I've moved my speakers 90 degrees and the SQ has improved hugely. I enjoy my system a lot more now.

I hope you've got rid of your hum. Mine returns occasionally. Another of life's mysteries.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                        Tommy, I'm very well thank you. I post occasionally but I spend more time these days listening to and researching music. My current project is Willie Dixon. What a prodigious song writer. I've also changed my system around to be more DVD oriented. Although it's in the same room, I've moved my speakers 90 degrees and the SQ has improved hugely. I enjoy my system a lot more now.

I hope you've got rid of your hum. Mine returns occasionally. Another of life's mysteries.
                                        Bigburner

Are you using a line conditioner. Could the hum be from your current ?

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

misterdoggy, I don't have a line conditioner, and from the research I have done I do not believe that line conditioners make any difference to the sound of a hi-fi system (although I expect many members of this forum would disagree).

I think that the cause of my hum is a ground loop, which occurs when two or more devices are connected to a common ground through different paths. Easy to say but hard to isolate...

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                            misterdoggy, I don't have a line conditioner, and from the research I have done I do not believe that line conditioners make any difference to the sound of a hi-fi system (although I expect many members of this forum would disagree).

I think that the cause of my hum is a ground loop, which occurs when two or more devices are connected to a common ground through different paths. Easy to say but hard to isolate...
                                            Hmmmm line conditioners don't work. I have a Shunyata hydra 6 coming tomorrow which primarily conditions and I can give you a report after whether or not I detect any differences.

One thing for sure I believe in Current regulators because they have a job to do that we can understand. As for line conditioners, maybe they don't make a difference in some areas and make a big difference in other area depending on the current available.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                              • Mar 2005

Funny that you all mention line conditioners. I not long ago made a huge investment into balanced power. The company I bought the equipment from is called Equi=Tech. They provide equipment to professional recording studios and the like. I did some reading and the science behind balanced power is sound (forgive the pun.) The way the system works is to break up 120V in into two 60V rails. The hot and neutral in the standard setup is now both hot. Each rail has a 60V supply that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. What this does is to eliminate any noise that can filter into the equipment via the neutral. I have their rack mount unit the 2Q which also has EMI/RFI filtering. I also have a 1.5BQ which is a wall mount unit that is hardwired into the power circuit to feed my Bryston 6B-ST power amp. I haven't had the chance to run the entire system off of the balanced power conditioners yet.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                                                Funny that you all mention line conditioners. I not long ago made a huge investment into balanced power. The company I bought the equipment from is called Equi=Tech. They provide equipment to professional recording studios and the like. I did some reading and the science behind balanced power is sound (forgive the pun.) The way the system works is to break up 120V in into two 60V rails. The hot and neutral in the standard setup is now both hot. Each rail has a 60V supply that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. What this does is to eliminate any noise that can filter into the equipment via the neutral. I have their rack mount unit the 2Q which also has EMI/RFI filtering. I also have a 1.5BQ which is a wall mount unit that is hardwired into the power circuit to feed my Bryston 6B-ST power amp. I haven't had the chance to run the entire system off of the balanced power conditioners yet.
                                                Please let us know your opinons of the results. I think this is an area worth discussing.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                  Please let us know your opinons of the results. I think this is an area worth discussing.
                                                  Not a problem. I just have to get off my lazy butt and finish the paint/drywall work in my new sound room. Then I can move all my stuff down to it and do the critical listening tests. I hope to have that done in the next month or so. And hopefully, my new sofa will arrive then so I don't have to sit on a milk crate to do the listening tests.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"