X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

Dynaudio dual tweeters/HE2006 micro-report

Someone here asked about the Dynaudio dual tweeter configuration vs. comb filtering. I had a chance to see them in action at HE2006 this weekend...the tweeters seem to share a common highpass, but the upper tweeter is rolled off on the top end...no surprise. This show gave me my first opportunity to alternate between live bands and speaker demos...and made it really clear why Dynaudio wants the additional power handling provided by dual tweeters!

Focus Audio was also showing a WMTTMW but with dual Revelator tweeters. This one ran both tweeters wide open on the top end. I asked the designer why he didn't address comb filtering and he said "comb filtering is no problem within the intended 15 degree vertical listening window...the symmetry is absolutely necessary for best imaging". I might have thought "BS" except that his speakers did throw the most convincing image I heard.

Other stuff: The big MBLs produced a great sound, but imaging was non-existent. Overall, imaging was my biggest disappointment at the show...there were good examples, but not many.

For the coax gang, I heard the KEF Reference and the big Pioneers (not TAD). I thought the KEF was very good, but the Pioneer suffered "cone cry" either the mag mid was being pushed too hard (loud) or crossed too low.

My favorite of the show? The Acapella Violon. This is another German design with 2-10" woofers, a ~2" soft dome driving a large horn (the first driver/horn I have ever really liked), and an ion tweeter. They were driven by two 150 watt class A tube amps, so no idea how the amps and speakers were interacting, but I could have listened to that system all day! $48k for the speakers...ouch!
    Paul

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ion tweeters? Gees, I don't want two ozone generators operating in my listening room. Ozone gas is nasty stuff.... 8O

Interesting stuff regarding the dual tweeter systems.

Thanks for sharing.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"