X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Measured the new Tang Band ceramic tweeter

I visited Paul K. recently to listen to his fantastic speakers and while I was there picked up a pair of the new Tang Band 25-1744S 25cm ceramic dome tweeters to measure. I figured this would be a great chance to take some measurements with my new ECM8000 that I had calibrated by Kim Girardin. The tweeters were flush mounted on an 8" wide baffle that had a 1/2" roundover, something close to how they would be used in the real world. Four 22 uF capacitors (88 uf) were wired in series to protect the tweeters. The 1 meter frequency measurement were taken around 80 dB to protect the tweeters as I wanted to get an accurate low end. Distortion measurements still used the 88 uF of capacitors but started at 500 hz. for protection since they were receiving much more power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	264-866_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	952206

Name:	264-866_ALT_0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	952207

Name:	264-866_ALT_4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	952208

The first measurements I took were nearfield frequency. After taking measurements for both tweeters and doing an overlay I was shocked. The second tweeter looks to be 3-4 dB less sensitive than the other. Not letting a single measurement be the proof I remeasured them both again and got the same result. Not good:

Name:	2892375513_8ca6f20b9f_o.png
Views:	6
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	952209

Up next is a 1 meter measurement at around 80 dB:

Name:	2892375541_6a9df31b17_o.png
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	952210

Here is the distortion measurement from 1 meter at around 90dB for the more sensitive tweeter. The F3 is higher down low, which could be due to the higher output at the same drive level:

Name:	2892375577_4d7d31aa38_o.png
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	952211

And now the less sensitive tweeter's distortion measurement:

Name:	2893213998_e297154ffc_o.png
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	952212

You can see how things get a little funky around 3 khz. with this tweeter. I remeasured both tweeters just to be certain the first measurements were accurate and both were very close. It looks for certain that something's not right with the second tweeter, which is a shame as I was hoping these would be a great performing, small flange tweeter.

Sorry, Paul. Probably not the news you were looking for but at least we know something needs fixed before you tried using these.
    Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 02:46 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Sorry to see that. I recently used the same tweeter but with the phase plug.

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

As I was putting these back in their boxes I noticed something. The tweeter that's less sensitive seems to have the hexagrid cover much closer to the ceramic dome, by about 1 mm. I checked both tweeters' hexagrid cover's convexity and they're identical. It looks like the less sensitive tweeter is almost touching the cover with a little room, where the other has about another 1 mm or so gap. I'm not sure if this could affect anything but I figure I might as well post it

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Thanks for posting this, Christian. I was interested in those tweeters... WAS-interested until now.

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

I was going to order these, and the new TB Berillium tweeter on Monday.

Guess I'll buy a pair of Vifa DQ25's instead.
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• jkrutke
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
            As I was putting these back in their boxes I noticed something. The tweeter that's less sensitive seems to have the hexagrid cover much closer to the ceramic dome, by about 1 mm. I checked both tweeters' hexagrid cover's convexity and they're identical. It looks like the less sensitive tweeter is almost touching the cover with a little room, where the other has about another 1 mm or so gap. I'm not sure if this could affect anything but I figure I might as well post it
            That could actually mean that one of the voice coils was partially out of the gap, which would explain low sensitivity, high Qts and higher harmonic distortion in one.
            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Except the 3rd harmonic is worse on the one with higher sensitivity. Very strange.

Comment

• eyekode
                • Jun 2008

Hrm... so we all know TB's graphs are optimistic. But they show the response rising at 20k. Your graphs are nose diving at 10k. I would not expect that from a ceramic dome...

Comment

• Mazeroth
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by eyekode
                  Hrm... so we all know TB's graphs are optimistic. But they show the response rising at 20k. Your graphs are nose diving at 10k. I would not expect that from a ceramic dome...
                  Not sure if you were saying my setup isn't working correctly or not but I did just measure three Peerless 810921 tweeters a few minutes ago (doh, left 1/3 octave smoothing on!) and they look almost identical to Zaph's:

Name:	2896607425_d7d662016f_o.png
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	952213

Looks like I is good! :T

Note: They weren't optimally measured as I used a baffle from an RS28 and the Peerless flange was sticking out quite a bit from the baffle.
                  Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 02:46 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• eyekode
                    • Jun 2008

Mazeroth, thanks for doing the test. I definitely appreciate it. In fact I think you just saved me ~70$ . I was just trying to correlate your findings with the spec sheet.

I know the details are never the same, but don't the overall shape/trend of the graphs usually match the documentation?

You know this tweeter originally did not have the hexagrid cover... I wonder if they did more significant redesign but failed to update the spec sheet? Still... don't they use ceramic's because they are light/stiff and don't start to give out until > 20k?

Comment

• Sakura
                      • Jul 2008

What about the other Tang Band Ceramic tweeter?

This one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-865

Anybody tested that yet?

Comment

• Rick Craig
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Sakura
                        What about the other Tang Band Ceramic tweeter?

This one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-865

Anybody tested that yet?
                        Yes - I just finished a center channel with one. Not too bad for the $.

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                          Yes - I just finished a center channel with one. Not too bad for the $.

What model and could you summarize the performance? THD, FR, or a graph?

Comment

• owdi
                            • Feb 2008

Four 22 uF capacitors (88 uf) were wired in series to protect the tweeters.
                            Four 22 uf caps wired in series is 5.5 uf, not 88. That's why you measured a bump in response at 700hz, then a dip. If you want the caps to sum, you have to wire them in parallel. Your measurements are invalid.

Dan

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by owdi
                              Four 22 uf caps wired in series is 5.5 uf, not 88. That's why you measured a bump in response at 700hz, then a dip. If you want the caps to sum, you have to wire them in parallel. Your measurements are invalid.

Dan
                              He wired 88 uf in series in the circuit. The 22uf caps were wired in parallel to eachother to make that value. His measurements are valid.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                • Nov 2004

Dan
                                If I had wired 5.5 uF in series you would see a drop off in response starting around 5 khz. if my memory serves me.

:T

EDIT: Yep, I was correct. Pulled a 6 ohm tweeter in PCD real quick and added a 5.5 uF cap in series. Sure enough, around 5 khz:

Name:	2910607849_5866454eb7_o.png
Views:	5
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	952214

With the 88 uF it looks like this:

Name:	2910613691_ec3b041f5a_o.png
Views:	5
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	952215
                                Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 02:47 Sunday. Reason: Update quote and image location

Comment

• owdi
                                  • Feb 2008

Dan
                                  I guess I was wrong. I made that mistake once with a tweeter and my results looked similar. Oh well.

Mazeroth - do you have the impedance of the tweeter loaded in PCD? The rolloff from the series 5.5uF cap looks way too smooth.

Dan

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                    • Nov 2004

Sure did. I loaded the Seas T25-001 that comes bundled with PCD, since it and the TB are both ~6 ohms. I didn't measure the impedance of the tweeter as Paul was only interested in FR and distortion.

I guess I was wrong. I made that mistake once with a tweeter and my results looked similar. Oh well.

Mazeroth - do you have the impedance of the tweeter loaded in PCD? The rolloff from the series 5.5uF cap looks way too smooth.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"