X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kidshorsesme
    • Jan 2012

Tweeter Options

Looking to start HT 5.1 speaker build & would appreciate some feedback regarding differing tweeter options. Have spent MANY hours on this forum reading about the complexities of DIY speaker building & am enjoying the journey :-)

My tweeter of choice would have to be the highly regarded Scanspeak D2608-9130. 'Jed' seems to prefer these tweeters and changed some of his Dynamic series from the Vifa Dual Radiating Ring type tweeters to the Scanspeak built soft dome. Would Jed be able to explain why the change & what was the benefit to the listener ?

Other options would include Vifa XT25TG30-04 or XT25BG60-04 with a slightly higher sensitivity.

Is there ANY real benefit in using the Scanspeak built versions of the above mentioned Vifa tweeters ... namely the R2604-8320 or R2604-8330 ? Are the Scanspeak built versions really worth DOUBLE the price of the Chinese built Vifa's ?

The other obvious candidate for Ring Radiator type of tweeter would be SB Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4.

Can anyone offer some 'opinion' on the merits of each of these different tweeters when compared to the others in this group ?

I dont have the luxury of being able to 'demo' any of the above other than the Vifa XT25TG30-04 which is the factory fitted tweeter in Krix Neuphonix / Epicentrix speakers that I have heard at my local Hi Fi store.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

If you are stuck on a ring radiator SB or scan IMO. I don't like the Vifa. Though I have not heard the Scan.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I've used all of those tweeters, and much prefer the D2608-9130- for it's low distortion and very good dispersion. Plus, I prefer the sound and presentation.

IMO it's a soft dome tweeter for those who normally prefer high end hard dome tweeters.

Just my 0.02 of course. :W
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
        • Nov 2008

I agree with the D2608-9130 for +/- $100. for music if mostly movies I like metal, it has a little more sparkle for sound effects. Seas 27TBC/G (H1212).

Comment

• CraigJ
          • Feb 2006

I'll add my 2 cents.

Kid, I've used both the XT25BG60 and the D2608-9130 in a waveguide. Although the Vifa had a very good and easy to work with frequency response;

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2515.webp
Views:	42
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	939825

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot2012-11-14at105712AM.webp
Views:	46
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	939826

Like Jon and dar47, I prefer the "sparkle and sizzle" of the D2608-9130. Pretty subjective, isn't it.

Craigj
          Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 17:30 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"