Will Spiking Stop Neighbors from Going Mad?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EastCoaster
    • Jan 2006

Will Spiking Stop Neighbors from Going Mad?

Hi there! I've learned a lot about spiking in recent days from member posts, and was wondering whether you think that spiking a B&W ASW 825 sub (or even my 805S) will reduce the punishment I'm delivering to my neighbors :W (I live in an apartment) while keeping high performance?

I don't necessarily play music or movies at extremely loud levels, but still, neighbors occasionally complain...

Would you recommend a particular way to spike the 825, or is there a particular spike that you think works really well?

By the way, I have hardwood floors!

Thanks!
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I don't think the spiking is going to do much for you. To isolate other rooms from the sound, you need mass between your sub and the other areas of your building to decrease sound transmission.

Maybe you could invite the neighbors over while you listen/watch?
    Danish

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I thought about getting something like this:

Auralex Acoustics is the industry leader in acoustical treatment products, including Studiofoam, bass traps, diffusors, panels, sound barriers, construction materials, & more.

and putting carpet over it to create a stage for the front speakers. im not sure if that would be cheaper than a floating floor. i just feel that a floating floor wouldn't be sturdy to walk on.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI East,
        Spikes, if anything, will piss the neighbors off more. Remember, their purpose in life is to efficiently transfer energy from the speaker to whatever it is mounted on. In this case a floor which represents a very large radiating surface, like a drum head. It's almost impossible to isolate bass energy except with the volume control or a double walled room.

I actually lived in an apartment that had double walls. My neighbors did not discover I had a big stereo until I moved when they saw it. I asked them if the music ever bothered them. They said no. Then they asked me if I ever heard their band practicing. I never had. I had no clue. LOL!! I was impressed.

Sparky

Comment

• EastCoaster
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Karma
          HI East,
          Spikes, if anything, will piss the neighbors off more. Remember, their purpose in life is to efficiently transfer energy from the speaker to whatever it is mounted on. In this case a floor which represents a very large radiating surface, like a drum head. It's almost impossible to isolate bass energy except with the volume control or a double walled room.

I actually lived in an apartment that had double walls. My neighbors did not discover I had a big stereo until I moved when they saw it. I asked them if the music ever bothered them. They said no. Then they asked me if I ever heard their band practicing. I never had. I had no clue. LOL!! I was impressed.

Sparky
          I think my neighbors' purpose in life is to curtail my listening habits! :W So spiking is not the right way to leave the bass inside the room, and stop it from going downstairs... And since I won't move to the 'burbs and into a detached house, I guess maybe I'll just be piling carpet over carpet, or just limiting the hours I listening with boomy bass... Maybe others have had this problem and designed an ingenious solution!

Comment

• EastCoaster
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
            Maybe you could invite the neighbors over while you listen/watch?
            Well that would create "familiarity" and then I would HAVE to turn down the music... :B

Comment

• Mitchell
              • Sep 2004

I had that exact problem.
              I live in a large NYC apt but after getting my new system a year ago my neighbor below started complaining. I was advised to contact sound anchor which is a FL company that makes speaker stands and systems that isolate the speakers from the floor.
              I remember having a very informative conversation with the owner and I then decided to order stands for my 703's. It is hard to tell exactly what reduction in sound to my neighbor was accomplished but complaints are rare. A secondary benefit was an immediate noticable increase the in articulation of the bass.
              The guy from sound anchor was able to discuss what avenues the sound takes to get to my neighbors and which of those avenues could be affected by his stands. Obviously sound going through a radiator grill would not be reduced at all.
              Sound being transmitted through the floorc ould be reduced.
              I really suggest calling them. Search for them on the web to get their contact info.
              I hope this is helpful.
              Mitchell

Comment

• EastCoaster
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mitchell
                I really suggest calling them. Search for them on the web to get their contact info.
                I hope this is helpful.
                That's great Mitchell - thanks a bunch!

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Unfortunatelly there isnt really anything you can do to make your nieghbor not hear the LFE created by your sub. Speaker stands, extra carpet, spikes to little or nothing against a powerful thump from a sub.

On a side note; the B&W PV1 creates 0 vibrations to the floor, but the LFE itself can still be heard.

The only thing that helps is how the building you live in was built. Or trade your sub in for a Buttkicker, in that case its really only good for movies becuase you have to be seated in order to get the effect.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"