X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

1x ASW-825 or 2x PV1

Both options sell for roughly the same cost give or take a couple hundred.

From a surface area perspective 2x PV1's have almost twice the radiating surface area over the 825. I'd imagine though that the 825 can probably hit the lower frequencies with more authority.

That said, which would you choose and why?
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by george_k
    Both options sell for roughly the same cost give or take a couple hundred.

From a surface area perspective 2x PV1's have almost twice the radiating surface area over the 825. I'd imagine though that the 825 can probably hit the lower frequencies with more authority.

That said, which would you choose and why?
    2 subs are always better than one. A single ASW has significantly more authority than a single PV1 due to its higher output level, however, the PV1 is more "musical" than an ASW. The ASW's bottom end is lower than a PV1 though the difference between 18Hz and 20 is more of a mathematical curiosity than anything you will ever hear or feel. The PV1 is the least resonant or colored sub ever created, in that category of construction and sound it has no equal. The other musical attribute in which the PV1 leaves most other subs in the dust is in transients, the much lower mass, smaller, stiffer cone has response times more similar to a midrange driver than to a woofer. So the bottom line is woofer to woofer, the ASW is louder and has slightly lower extension, the PV1's "sound" and musicality are superior in pretty much all respects. 2PV1's are a lot better than 1 ASW in all respects since the output difference is now in the PV1 favor.
    As to why 2 subs are better than one here is my previous explanation:
    I have been running my system with a phantom center for some time with results that have vacillated between good and excellent, depending on where you sit. I have been locked into this situation because of the limited choices I have had for including a well matched dedicated center channel. Recently I have stumbled upon an idea

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

I had one sub (PV1) before in a long living room. Like WI Rotel said, the sound from the bass is quite directional. Subsequently I acquired a second sub (another PV1) and the directional issue is gone. I do need to turn down the volume on the two subs to maintain an overall balance with the other speakers. My wife still cannot understand why I need two subwoofers at half the volume vs. just using one subwoofer at full volume.

Before getting a second PV1, I went to the dealer and compared the ASW825 vs. two PV1. I would agree that the ASW sounds more authoritative and "grand". However, I personally like the tight, clean, and quick response from the PV1. Also, one ASW is not going to do anything to correct the directional issue I was trying to solve. More importantly, the PV1 has a much higher WAF than the ASW.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I just sold my ASW 825 and let me say that was an impressive sub! I was very impressed with the output.

Having no experience with the pv1 but prior experience with two subs I will say it was nice to have matching subs next to each of my mains.
        B&W

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

Directional bass is a result of high THD. Two subs with reduced volume will reduce THD and reduce directionality. That directionality that you are referring to, is your sub producing upper harmonics (THD).

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

A point on the PV1. To many "audiophiles" a sub is for the subharmonics. If you take that definition, and many do, the PV1 is more appropriately classified as a self powered woofer than a sub. Dl 86 has made a good point, if you set your crossover at 100hz or more the sub will definitely be directional. The PV1 IS a small sub with limited output (compared to bigger subs) that is why for larger rooms 2 are best.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"