X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

Differences between 602.5 and 603 ??

Beside the price,

what differences should I expect between the two ?

The 602.5 are floorstanding but seems closer to the 602 bookshelf...and the 603 seems to have a "weird shaped" extra bass woofer...

It would be paired with a Rotel RC-972 integrated amp and a Rotel RCD-991 CD player…

Also, what could be a "good" price (canadian) on a brand new pair at a dealer ?
    Last edited by Tha Freak; 17 February 2006, 13:46 Friday.
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

Take a look at this article:

It occurred to me recently that, after nearly a decade of specializing in reviewing affordable speakers, and with the exceptions of two entry-level Mission models, I'd never taken a look at recent designs from the large mainstream British speaker manufacturers. So with this review I embark on a Bob Reina "British Invasion" tour to seek out the most innovative and value-conscious designs from companies that have been household names in British stereo shoppes for decades.

I have 603 but haven't listened to the 602.5 but i do think that the cabinet would be too big for just the midrange driver ( I have seen reviews saying it sounds a little boomy). I would save your money and go 602 over 602.5 and if you were going with a floorstanding speaker go 603 or better.

Oh... And the funny looking bass driver was B&W trying to create a shape that would be stiffer then a cone (mushroom cap evidently). No that cones are bad, but if you were allowed more mass (because you are not trying to vibrate the speaker as quickly) then why not try and make the driver stiffer?

Comment

• Tha Freak
      • Jul 2003

anybody else??
      - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• JürgenW
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Sim reality
        Take a look at this article:

It occurred to me recently that, after nearly a decade of specializing in reviewing affordable speakers, and with the exceptions of two entry-level Mission models, I'd never taken a look at recent designs from the large mainstream British speaker manufacturers. So with this review I embark on a Bob Reina "British Invasion" tour to seek out the most innovative and value-conscious designs from companies that have been household names in British stereo shoppes for decades.

I have 603 but haven't listened to the 602.5 but i do think that the cabinet would be too big for just the midrange driver ( I have seen reviews saying it sounds a little boomy). I would save your money and go 602 over 602.5 and if you were going with a floorstanding speaker go 603 or better.
        It's a while ago I did a listening test of the 600's. The 602.5 I liked least. They sounded in the midrange to much demped, for me good to hear with voices from the radio. Compared with my Matrix 3/2 (which I used then quite a lot). The later ones gave a spacey, open and relaxed sound.
        After that I compared the 603 with the 604. I expected from reviews that I would like the 603 more. But that wasn't the case. The 603 sounded more direct, but also more forced; the 604 sounded more back-laid, but also more open and especially more natural. I registered that most with an old Callas recording and a piano-recording (Granados): with the 604 I heard more the natural sound of the piano; also with a recording of a classical guitar and a very nice recording by Maria José Pires, Schubert, Le Voyage Magnifique, DG).
        In general I had the impression that the 604 sounded more muscial, with a tendency to pleasant shading.

(To make it short: all ended with buying a CDM 9NT and some month further: having used from that moment on the Matrix 801 as the main speakers, but that's another story.)

Jürgen

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"