X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FCruz
    • May 2005

604 vs. 603

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, iv'e been reading several posts and i'm impressed with the quality of the people here.... congratulations all.

Well, i'm a newbie in HT (a 2 ch. music guy).

I'm planning on starting (obviously ) with B&W speakers.

I'm considering towers for the main speakers, this is 603 or 604.

I havent been able to here them in the same place, so I cant hear any differences.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences between them?

I know 603 are 2.5 and 604 are 3 ways. What is tha difference? which is better? are the 604's worth the extra money? or finally, should I stick with two-way speakers (602 all around)?

Thanks everyone, an sorry for the long post.

Ps: I'm from Mexico, so sorry for my english.
  • herotongtong
    • Apr 2005

Try 804 or 803 !!! forget about the 600 series ..

Comment

• FCruz
      • May 2005

sure the 803's or the 804's are great, (actually i just got a pair of 802D's for my stereo system). However imho, HT doesn't worth 800's.

so.... 603's, 604´s? or go with 705's all around with htm7? I already have a SW.

My goal is to forget about the equipment and get myself lost in the movies.

Thanks.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

disregard what herotongtong says. That's his automatic reply to every questions that people ask here: Get 80x... Not everyone is fortunate enough to even consider the 800s as an option. Hero, what's up with you and that Chinese actor? Is that your dream guy/idol or something?
        FCruz, regarding your questions about 603vs604...The first thing I'd do is spend some time and listen to them both first. If you're just planning on doing 2 channel music and nothing else, then I'd vote for the 604s, more bass, obviously and the midrange is a little bit cleaner also because of the 7 in. driver. There's no dealers in Mexico that demo both models? If not, take a drive or fly to Southern California, I'm sure you'll find plenty of dealers that has them both on display.

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

I notice you said that you have the 802d's for music, well in that case I think you are better off going with the 705's and the htm7 with your subwoofer, for the movies.
          You will have a better sound than with the 603's or the 604's.
          There will be a greater clarity to the sound and paticularly to the speech. It is a big leap to the 700 series from the 600 series. If the 705's are an option, then I would not hesitate. If you can stretch it a bit, then the 704's.
          Check out for previously owned CDM 9's, they are brilliant and probably cheaper now.

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

Sorry, what sub are you using?

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Hey Cruz,

I own both type of home theatre systems, my first is 602's with 601's for the surrounds and a cc6 center, and my second (and favorite) system is N803's, HTM1, and N805's for surrounds. The 600's are good for home theatre but the 800 series for HT are beyond anything I have ever heard. I believe that the 800 series is not a waste for HT. We never watch a movie now on the 600s series system because it makes movie watching so much more enjoyable with the Nautilus, you forget that they are even there. :T
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• FCruz
                • May 2005

Thank you all for your comments.

The SW i have for HT is a cheapo. I haven´t used it for 2 years 8O

Comment

• FCruz
                  • May 2005

Sorry, y pressed enter

The SW is a Polk PSW12 which i consider "good".

I will try to hear both 603's and 604's in the same place for a fair comparison. However I almost didn´t sleep going trough a lot of posts here and listening to a full 5.1 setup of 705's (a friend borrowed them). I must say, awesome little speakers.

A general feeling in the forum with my comparison is that 602's are better (midrange) than the 603's. Anyway, i have to listen them all.

i feel that the 705´s are better, however there are more expensive. I will try to answer my question by listening and decide if the 700's are worth the extra $$ for HT. I would love the 800's, but right know im still paying for my 802D's, so not a possibility.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks.

Comment

• turbokuo
                    • Feb 2005

FCruz.

For 2 channel what did you have before your 802D's? Also how do you like the 802D's?

Comment

• ekkoville
                      • Aug 2004

Cruz, is the HT going in a seperate room with different equipment? Your 802D's must sound fantastic with HT material.

Comment

• FCruz
                        • May 2005

Hi,

Before my 802D's i owned a pair of JM lab electra 927 with ARC electronics. Great speakers!!!!

My stereo system is in my library/studio, so there is no possibility of mixing 2 ch/HT(which will be in the family room).

I've read a lot, and there are many different opinions regarding going with the 600 series or the 700's. Some mention its not woth it (700's) for HT since the sound coming from speakers in mostly explosions 8O

I mean, here in México, the prices are (a lot of importation taxes):

602: 700 usd
                        LCR600: 680 usd.

705: 1,500 usd
                        htm7: 750 usd

I think its a big difference, so you see my problem. However, if tha spund is worth it, i'll go with the 700's. First fronts, then center, teh rears, instead of buying the whole 600's together.

So, in a poll.... 700's or 600's? :roll:

Comment

• FCruz
                          • May 2005

turbokuo,

the 802D's are besides the Wilson Watt Puppy's the best speaker iv'e ever heard and the best bang for the buck.

I mean, i auditioned a lot of speakers, Dynaudio Confidence Master (very expensive, but great!!!!), Sonus Faber Grand Piano (awsome!!!) and a lot more.

Basically, the 802d's where the best sounding speakers for my ears as well as budget wise. I really think they are woth every penny.... lifetime speakers (i think :roll

Cheers.

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Of the B&W line, I think one should either A) save the money and get the 600 series, or B), save up more and get the 800 line.

I wanted speakers but couldn't afford a full 7 speaker 800 series, so I went with the 600 series and am saving money for eventual replacement of all of them with the 800 series. I Figure I can buy the 802Ds and HTM center with it then replace the backs with 805s whenever I get a chance to... Hopefully.

I sat and seriously listened to the 604s and I didn't think the 700 series were worth while enough to pay the extra for them when I knew I was going to want the 800s.

If you are not going to upgrade and this is the last time for you to buy speakers, then the 700 series, might as well put the money into them.
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

• ti33er
                              • Apr 2004

FCruz, have you thought about the new B&W Mini theatre's? I have just started a thread about these as I am in a similar position to you at the moment /kinda cash constraints vs. performance (I have to save because I want 804S etc. at a later date but can't handle owning nothing until that time, it could be years!)
                              "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• FCruz
                                • May 2005

PewterTA,

I totally agree with you. The 600's are just great for HT if planning on upgrading to the 800´s in the future.

I will definetely go with the 600's.

But my question is.... 603's or 604´s for the fronts?

The 603's have the same drivers of the LCR600's so i guess they would blend even better than the 604's, besides i already have a SW, so there would be no difference in bass. What do you think?

If i go with the 604´s.... they cost the same than the 705's w/stands, so you see my problem :roll:

Or i can go with 603's fronts and lcr600 for the same price of the 705's w/stands.

ti33er,

I haven't listened to the new mini theaters, however, i have to be honest. I dont like satellite speakers (mini). I think these speakers loose a lot of info in the midrange. I think, if you already have 600's.... stick to them.!!!! :P

By the way, yesterday i listened to the PSB image series.... and i must say.... serious competition to the 600's.

HT decisions.... are simply driving me crazy!!!! 8O

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Well if you are going with the 800s eventually, I'd pick up the 603s... If it might take you a lot longer to get to the 800s, then the 604s are definitely better.

The imaging and soundstage is a lot bigger on the 604s. When doing 2ch listening the 604s just dominate the 603s (my friend has the 603s, where I have the 604s).

The 705s will give you a little bit better mid/high range with slight bit better imaging and the sound stage is about the same as the 604s....

But I still think if you think you are eventually going with the 800 series...why pay the extra money right now for the 604s? 603s will be very decent for HT use and cost a lot less.

...and there is a slight timbre difference with the 604s and LCR600 due to the driver size and orientation.

Though I was surprised how much better my LCR600 sounds since I've put it up on feet (those rubber feet they give you) and since tightening the screws on the driver, this made a big difference as well!

Or you could even go for 602s, they sound identical to the 604s with just a little bit less bass.
                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• FCruz
                                    • May 2005

PewterTA,

Thanks for your comments.

I totally agree until this:

"Or you could even go for 602s, they sound identical to the 604s with just a little bit less bass. "

So it comes down to 602's or 603's-

Which ones would you recommend? I already have a SW so i am more concerned in mids and highs.

Thanks.

Comment

• rick c
                                      • Aug 2004

If you asking i say go for the 603's i have them and i think they're great for ht and music.I actually liked them better than the 604's.But thats just me.

Comment

• FCruz
                                        • May 2005

rick c,

thanks.

what did you like more of the 603's over the 604's?

Comment

• rick c
                                          • Aug 2004

Wish i could remember but unfortunatley i cant sorry.I just know that i did so i got the 603's.With a sub i dont think there is much of a real difference.The 604's did go lower but the 603's to me were just better overall atleast for my tastes.The 603's are also a smaller(slimmer) speaker than the 604's which was also good for WAF,but that wasnt a real consideration.I had actually listened to them with a rotel rsx1056 which i also ended up getting.The best thing you can do is just go and listen to them side by side if you can.That way there are no regrets.I know that most people like the 604's better but i didnt.Besides if i could afford the 604's with a little more i would of gotten into the 700 series.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                            • May 2004

Yea, I've actually seen a couple of dealers around here that don't even display the 604s. The reason is because the 604s are getting close to the cost of 705s, which are considered to be a better made speaker overall. I think you've heard this enough times in this post: go and have a listen yourself...Until you've done so, you're really just taking what others' opinions are regarding the speakers and kinda makes you biased when you go and listen for yourself. I personally think it's better go into the stores with a clear point of view and just listen and pick out what sounds the best to you.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"