• Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

B&W FPM series vs. MT30 package.

I really am in a dilemma.
    Two options for a family room.

1. MT 30 package(sub/sat system)
    2. FPM 4 for the front three with the same PV1 sub, and the M1's for the rears(same as above).

The space on the wall for the plasma is2.4m and is flanked on either side by columms that stick out from the wall about 600mm.

If I opt for the FPM's will the colomms affect the dispersion? I will have to mount them on either side of the plasma. If I go for the satellites, then I am not restricted by the columms as maybe I will hang the left and right higher up with the centre under the plasma(good idea/bad idea?)

Help please. There is a cost differential b/w the two of about $800. This I am willing to absorb if it will make that much difference to sound quality.

Help PLease.
    George.
  • dami0n
    • Jan 2006

I started out with Option 1. I found it lacking in detail and oomph for music applications. I upgraded to option 2 and was much more satisfied. The FPMs at the front were much better all round.
    Also the FPM is a much better center speaker than the M1.

However I still think the FPM is slightly over-priced for what it gives.

You should also look at the XT series (possibly a configuration of 2 XT2s for fronts, 2 for rears and an XTC for centre).

You should be able to get a set of XT2 for 2/3 of the price of a pair of FPM4s.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

I would say option 2, and while FPMs cost more they are much much better then the speakers in option 1. Can you possible post a picture of your situation? I am having a hard time picturing what you are saying.

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

I will post a picture later tday. It is a nnew construction so I will drive there and then post a pic. Thanks for the help. BTW the columms only stick out 300mm.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by georgev
          I really am in a dilemma.
          Two options for a family room.

1. MT 30 package(sub/sat system)
          2. FPM 4 for the front three with the same PV1 sub, and the M1's for the rears(same as above).

The space on the wall for the plasma is2.4m and is flanked on either side by columms that stick out from the wall about 600mm.

If I opt for the FPM's will the colomms affect the dispersion? I will have to mount them on either side of the plasma. If I go for the satellites, then I am not restricted by the columms as maybe I will hang the left and right higher up with the centre under the plasma(good idea/bad idea?)

Help please. There is a cost differential b/w the two of about $800. This I am willing to absorb if it will make that much difference to sound quality.

Help PLease.
          George.
          If this is new construction and you have a little bit of time, look at the new VM6. It is shipping here in the US in 60 days or so. It has the same drivers as the CM1 and is priced the same (at least in the US) so it falls inbetween the M1 and the FPM4. As far as size goes, it is 26"H x 7"D x 4.1"D. I don't have a picture I can post or e-mail, but from the small picture I have it looks like a FPM4 with rounded corners and a flush grill.

Eric

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

Picture

Here is a picture of the wall that is to be used for the plasma and on walls.
            The distance between the inner parts of the columms is 2.46m.
            The columms project out from the wall 30cm(depth).
            Can I opt for a 50inch, if so will I still be okay with the on walls or will the columms interfere.
            Is even a 42" a problem thus limiting me to sub/sat systems.
            The installer has recommended putting the two front sats up where you see the wires hanging(it will be just below the cornicing). The two thinner wires.
            The centre would then be just below the plasma. I am worried about this, hence also leaning to the FPM's which would flank the plasma.
            Would they be okay hung up so high if I were to go for the sats?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by georgev; 22 March 2007, 00:14 Thursday. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Your installer is wrong. Putting your L and R that high is not ideal. When you sit have both your plasma and the centre of the speakers (in the case of FPMs) at eye level.

FPMs will work great here in my opinion. Place them 1.5 meters apart or just an inch or two from the plasma. Get the 50". Trust me.

Looks like you have a very cool space to work with. If you want my personal opinion FPMs look their best in black.

What do you plan to power them with? I have powered mine with Denon, a Rotel 1055, Rotel 1067 and 1068/1077. These speakers seem to sound dramatically different depending on what you pair them with.

*On a side thought, and I could be wrong. I would at least consider placing the L and R ON the columns. It may not work at all, but if it looked ok it would probabl sound best.

* one last idea. Get yout installer to place the cable outlet/power outlet right behind your plasma so you see no cords running to it.

Comment

• georgev
                • Jul 2004

I have ditched the idea of the sub/sat and have gone for the FPM 4's for the front three, with a PV1 sub. and two MI's for the rears. Apparently the cost of B&W's are going up 10% next week, so I have paid for them today. Is this a worldwide increase?
                I will be powering them with a Denon 5803A(AVCA1SRA).
                The sitting position is about 3m from the panel, will 50" not be too big?

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by georgev
                  I have ditched the idea of the sub/sat and have gone for the FPM 4's for the front three, with a PV1 sub. and two MI's for the rears. Apparently the cost of B&W's are going up 10% next week, so I have paid for them today. Is this a worldwide increase?
                  I will be powering them with a Denon 5803A(AVCA1SRA).
                  The sitting position is about 3m from the panel, will 50" not be too big?

50" is not to big from that distance in my opinion, especially if you are watching HD content. I sit just under 3 meters from my 50" and its great. I went from a 42" to a 50" and am very happy I did. If you get the 50" look at the FPM 5s as they are designed specifically to go next to a 50". They dont sound any different then FPM 4s and shouldnt cost much more.

I havent heard of the 10% increase, but then again I havent asked.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"