X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MichiganMike
    • Mar 2004

Parasound 2100

I have a Parasound 2100 Preamp with a Parasound A23 amp driving Salk SongTower speakers in a two channel system. This system does not sound as engaging for music as I had hoped. My home theater system which uses a Parasound C2 with a Parasound A21 amp and Von Schweikert VR4 JR is a significant improvement in this regard, albeit at a much higher cost. I have moved a Classe CDP10 player between the systems as a source, although balanced inputs were used for the Parasound C2 and unbalanced inputs for the 2100. Next I may try substituting other components between the two systems in an effort to determine potential synergies, but I am not anxious to unplug and move the components to try every combination.
    Any thoughts on what may be the weakest link in the stereo system would be welcome. Having heard the SongTowers sing in other systems, my hypothesis is the speakers are not the main culprit. I do not play the two channel system at high volumes and the Parasound A23 is reportedly similar in design to the A21, so low level detail may be similar. My current assumption is the preamps may make the biggest difference or maybe there is some synergy between certain components and cables.
    Mike
  • MichiganMike
    • Mar 2004

Parasound 2100 Revisited

Connecting the Classe CDP10 directly via balanced cables to the Parasound A23 and using the gain controls on the A23 to control the volume resulted in more musical detail and better imaging than unbalanced cables through the Parasound 2100 preamp. This sounds similar to what I had heard using balanced cables with the Parasound C2. When I connect an old Sony CA7ES CD player with unbalanced cables through the Parasound 2100 the result was pleasant if less detailed than the direct connected Classe CDP10. I would expect the Classe to sound better given the price difference and relative age. My conclusion is the Classe CDP10 may perform better with balanced cables and the Parasound 2100 does not appear to be well matched with it in my system.

Comment

• MichiganMike
      • Mar 2004

I found a deal on a demo Parasound C2 that was too tempting. I purchased the unit and my second C2 is now being used as an audio only preamp for my two channel system. The direct balanced inputs are used with my Classe CDP and two unbalanced channels in the 7.1 inputs connect to a Sony 5-Disc CDP. These connections offer a pleasing audio upgrade over the Parasound 2100. I have also tried using the Classe as a transport with the C2 digital inputs.

The C2 may not have the latest video processing, HDMI inputs or DSP technology, but I do not need these features for audio. The audio sounds sweet to my ears, the matching Halo C2 and A23 panels are easy on the eyes and the price was a bargain for this level of performance (albeit still double the MSRP of the Parasound 2100 but a third of the MSRP of the Parasound JC2). Used Parasound C2 controllers have been listed recently for $1100 to $1500 on Audiogon, which in view of the excellent audio quality makes this an attractive option for audio only systems IMHO.
      Last edited by MichiganMike; 02 February 2009, 12:38 Monday. Reason: Clarified

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"