X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangebull
    • Nov 2005

feet for 703s

I am moving to a home with tile floors in the room where my 703s will be located. They will be powered by a Rotel RB-1090 and the room is large (24'x27' by 16' tall)

Does it make a difference how the speakers sit on the floor?

My question is should they sit directly on the tile floor with no spikes or feet? or should they be on spikes on the tile or spikes on a piece of carpet?
    or on rubber feet?

thanks,
    OB
  • orangebull
    • Nov 2005

Anyone????????

Anyone with recommendation on what is the best way to sit B&W 703s on a tile floor?

thanks, OB

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Not on the floor

Orangebull,

If at all possible, the 703's should not be directly on the floor. This tends to muddy the sound a bit, especially bass. I believe the 703's comes with spikes. You would simply need something as simple as a quarter to put between the spikes and the tile. Of course, there are spikes or feet out there that can accommodate tile floors (Soundcare Superspikes come to mind, and they look quite good) . Also, on the more expensive end, there are stands that are designed for the 703's (Sounds Anchors I know makes 703 specific stands).

On a related subject, a significant amount of tile in an AV room will definitely impact the sound, and generally not for better. Have you considered any room treatments?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• orangebull
        • Nov 2005

thanks

Appreciate the info.

No I haven't thought about room treatment yet. We will be moving into the newly constructed house in about two months. Can't wait see hear my speakers there. I'm sure I will have a few issues to deal with in such an open room will lots of hard surfaces (lots of glass on the two side walls, tile on the floor and wood on the ceiling).

thanks, OB

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

I have not been pleased with the rubber (silicone?) feet directly on the tile floor, the bass loses definition. The spikes sound better, but are dangerous with kids (they slide, and if a spike falls into the joint of the tiles, the 703 can fall over). I also like to angle the speakers slightly back, I think it made a difference (just 5mm difference front to back). I made some feet of wood screwed into the 703, and I like that, sturdy and offers clean sound. If I had money, I'd get soundanchors to make a custom set of stands, 15cm tall, angled back, and screwed in... I just need $1k for 5 of them.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"