X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AudioAddict
    • May 2004

What I can use under my 604 S3 to not damage hardwood floor

Hi,

I will be installing hardwood floor in my listening room tomorow. The problem is that the spikes will damage the floor, I was just thinking about something that I can put under the speakers. I was looking on the pictures of your setups, and I saw that some of you who own wooden floors use "Marble tile" ob rubber feet under the speakers. Could you tell me where I could buy stone and what kind should I use? I went today to few stores that sell tile, and stone and they did not have anything I could use. Maybe there are stone stands for floorstanding speakers.

Thanks,

AudioAddict
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by AudioAddict
    Hi,

I will be installing hardwood floor in my listening room tomorow. The problem is that the spikes will damage the floor, I was just thinking about something that I can put under the speakers. I was looking on the pictures of your setups, and I saw that some of you who own wooden floors use "Marble tile" ob rubber feet under the speakers. Could you tell me where I could buy stone and what kind should I use? I went today to few stores that sell tile, and stone and they did not have anything I could use. Maybe there are stone stands for floorstanding speakers.

Thanks,

AudioAddict
    You could get some white poster tack from Grand and Toy or other stationery stores.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
      • Mar 2005

You can either do it the cheap way by placing coins under the spikes or you can do this:

I have these and they work well. Here's another alternative that is in brass:

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

I have coins between my hardwood and spikes. Pennies. Copper camouflages decently.

Comment

• Zoran
          • Apr 2005

Better idea:

Just remove the spikes (very poorish quality, BTW) and store them. Instead, you can use four balls of some softer rubber, easy to be shaped as a "coin" under pressure (29,2 kilos per speaker in case of 604S3). I don't know the proper English word for such a rubber, but it's similar to ordinery bubble-gum.

This makes a very solid contact between the speaker and hardwood base, so it's very hard to push accidently the speaker causing mechanical damages. Sound wise, it prevents major part of vibrations, just like the metal spikes.

Zoran, Macedonia

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Zoran
            Better idea:

Just remove the spikes (very poorish quality, BTW) and store them. Instead, you can use four balls of some softer rubber, easy to be shaped as a "coin" under pressure (29,2 kilos per speaker in case of 604S3). I don't know the proper English word for such a rubber, but it's similar to ordinery bubble-gum.

This makes a very solid contact between the speaker and hardwood base, so it's very hard to push accidently the speaker causing mechanical damages. Sound wise, it prevents major part of vibrations, just like the metal spikes.

Zoran, Macedonia
            It's called "tack" and I posted about it above :lol:

Comment

• AudioAddict
              • May 2004

Thank you for your replays, I really appreciate them. Also I made a little research on my own. So this is what I'm considering now, thanks to your opinions:

1. Leave B&W spikes and use a Brass Coupling Disc

2. Use a Blue Tack

3. Replace spikes with Viablue QTC Elite (34 mm) or Viablue HS Elite (38 mm) - here is the link http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm

4. An isolation component such as Bright Star Big Rock 4 - here is the link http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...m%20in%20Black

So i you could advice me with option is better??

P.S.
              I have one more question, as I was reading threads on the forum. I found some where that the speakers should be tilted especially when they are used on hardwood floors. Thank you for help, as soon I will finish it I will post some pictures of my B&W 604 S3's ;x(.

Best regards,

AudioAddict

Comment

• Zoran
                • Apr 2005

Thanx jlee...

This is very specific vocabulary, so “tack” (was) not in my reach - until now. I am improving my English over here - nice gain, beside pleasure...

Zoran

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"