X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

Unique/different speaker spikes/feet?

Anybody have some alternatives to the typical stuff at PE/Madi? I've been trying to find some but can't seem to find anything really.....different. Also, the set needs to be able to support roughly 200 lbs.... :E

I may just not use spikes at all......
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

Joey, at that weight you might have to get with someone to build you something...
    are you looking for and outriger look, plate look, or something under the speaker? i have drawn up some designs some of them made of wood and others made from granite or such...

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

I've broken a few Madisound/PE spikes too.

This should fit your needs.

Thanks for visiting Mye Sound! We've been making music sound better for 21+ great years. *I have a new design, stay tuned!*
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• john trials
        • Mar 2009

Perhaps you can use regular spikes, but in a different way. I used PE spikes on the ends of my aluminum outriggers. I would have liked to color match the aluminum to the spikes, but it would have been pretty hard to do.

Last edited by theSven; 09 July 2023, 19:39 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I've looked. There aren't a lot of options. It comes down to wanting a niche product in a an already niche market.

Kingpin used these on his monster 3-ways: http://www.soundocity.com/ I believe that he also worked with them to get custom ones to support the excessive weight of his speakers. They fit my style, but not my wallet.

I would think the best solution would be to use the big sub spikes, but mount them to a custom wood or metal base that would give you the creative look you're going for.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• saabracer23
            • Sep 2010

I have quite a number of large spikes that I had milled for me, they're pretty beefy. I'll measure them when I get home if you're interested. I'll let you know, I have like 24 or so.

Dan

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

200 lbs!! I'd skip the spikes altogether, and go straight to casters.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Undefinition
                200 lbs!! I'd skip the spikes altogether, and go straight to casters.
                Yeah.

I don't think 200# actually sank in when I read that. That's insane. My sub doesn't even weigh that.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• joeybutts
                  • Sep 2009

Hmmm....you guys made me relook at the weight...more like ~130 lbs. h:
                  I weighed the largest panel which was just under 20 lbs. So the enclosure for one tower is going to weigh ~ 85 lbs unpainted, unloaded, untreated.

I think I like the outrigger look a touch more than the plate look, but a real nice plate design wouldn't be passed up. Let me see some of your ideas Tex.

Face, if those weren't brass colored I might be all over them.

John, I do like the outrigger look. That is sharp. I have a pile of left over tips from Dayton spike sets and was thinking of just using them a bit hidden. So they would be right in the cabinet but tucked under a little ways.... But that outrigger set up looks nice. And maybe get some powdercoating done....

Ryan, I totally agree with you and am leaning in that direction. I agree that the soundocity units are nice but seem to be a bit more than I am willing to spend.

Dan, shoot me a pic of those bad boys if you could. Would love to see what you got.

Sorry Paul, got a little overzealous on the weight there. :

Comment

• saabracer23
                    • Sep 2010

Here you go, they're 2" across the top and 2" tall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3835-1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	944843

Dan
                    Last edited by theSven; 09 July 2023, 19:38 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• AdelaaR
                      • Dec 2010

Why do you need spikes?
                      What about simple (and much cheaper) rubber feet?

Comment

• joeybutts
                        • Sep 2009

Dan, those sure are pretty. Shoot me a pm with how much you would want for them.

I really like the look of spikes over rubber feet and believe they offer more function. I mean if I really wanted to I could just put felt pads on the bottom and call it a day....

Comment

• joeybutts
                          • Sep 2009

What do you guys think of these feet? $5 a set, though I don't know if they will be able to handle the weight.....

Name:	polk_tsi300u.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	944844
                          Last edited by theSven; 09 July 2023, 19:40 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• baniels
                            • Nov 2006

Got a link?

Originally posted by joeybutts
                            What do you guys think of these feet? $5 a set, though I don't know if they will be able to handle the weight...
                            L&R Build
                            Sub Build

Comment

• rvsixer
                              • Sep 2008

What do you guys think of these feet? $5 a set, though I don't know if they will be able to handle the weight.....
                              Where are these available? I couldn't find then on the linked image website.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                • Sep 2009

Polkaudio.com . I emailed the parts dept about them but they haven't responded about the specs. They are on the Tsi line. the heaviest speaker I think is like 50 lbs or so.

Comment

• baniels
                                  • Nov 2006

I believe PE used to carry some like that. But no longer.
                                  L&R Build
                                  Sub Build

Comment

• joeybutts
                                    • Sep 2009

hm. I'm thinking I may buy them and test what they can handle, though I am thinking I may buy Dan's spikes and use them in an outrigger setup.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

That design is very isn't strong and breaks easily.

PE parts Sku 249-727, Sku 240-730, Sku 240-716, will all easily support a 200lb speaker, that's only (50lbs per spike)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                        • Jun 2009

I think I like the outrigger look a touch more than the plate look, but a real nice plate design wouldn't be passed up. Let me see some of your ideas Tex.
                                        Joey,
                                        i will have to see if i can take some pics of my drawings and get them to you, nothing is on a computer just a scratch pad...

Comment

• joeybutts
                                          • Sep 2009

Sounds good Tx. No rush. I am not close to that point yet.

Thanks Thomas. I won't even bother then.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

If you want outrigger style feet this would be a fairly easy design to copy using steel stock from a home center store and feet from one of the usual sources...

Name:	New_Soundocity_Outrigger.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	944845

Last edited by theSven; 09 July 2023, 19:40 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                              If you want outrigger style feet this would be a fairly easy design to copy using steel stock from a home center store and feet from one of the usual sources...

Click image for larger version  Name:	New_Soundocity_Outrigger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	944845

http://soundocity.com/

ThomasW,
                                              That looks really nice, that actually looks a lot like one a designed, just need someone who has a metal/plasma cutter to cut out the design...
                                              Last edited by theSven; 09 July 2023, 19:42 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• 707kevin
                                                • Oct 2010

Stupid question maybe, but honest: Whats the point of a spike if it sits on a 3/4" wide base? Would not a narrow foot do the exact same thing? I thought spikes where to penetrate carpet and rest on the solid sub flooring so you're not 'floating' on the carpet.

A spike, on a base, on a floor would be the same as a foot the same diameter of the base, no?

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                  • Dec 2010

I personally doubt the whole concept of spikes apart from the aforementioned fact that they may penetrate carpets.
                                                  How can a spike ever be beneficial to a speaker?
                                                  The only thing it might do ... in my opinion ... is start resonating when struck by the wrong very low frequency.
                                                  Use rubber feet ... they might look less cool but they also might be better soundwise

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
                                                    Thomas,
                                                    that looks really nice, that actually looks a lot like one a designed, just need someone who has a metal/plasma cutter to cut out the design...
                                                    Most people don't need the slot, so there would just be 4 holes/plate.

There's is a stock metal that's a plate with 2 skinny upright edges, sort of a really short flat 'U'

A grinder and a drill are the only tools needed to turn that stock into the design seen in the pic.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• baniels
                                                      • Nov 2006

I think rubber feet would have the tendency to decouple the speakers from the floor - the opposite of spikes, which aim to couple the speakers and the floor.

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                                                      I personally doubt the whole concept of spikes apart from the aforementioned fact that they may penetrate carpets.
                                                      How can a spike ever be beneficial to a speaker?
                                                      The only thing it might do ... in my opinion ... is start resonating when struck by the wrong very low frequency.
                                                      Use rubber feet ... they might look less cool but they also might be better soundwise
                                                      L&R Build
                                                      Sub Build

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"