X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GenesisFreak
    • May 2004

RB-1080 vs. RB-1090

Hi Everyone;

I currently own a Rotel system using the 200W RB-1080 amplifier. I am thinking about trading up to the RB-1090. There is nothing wrong with my system (in fact, it sounds very very good), I am just curious to see the effect of basically doubling the amount of power for the speakers (Paradigm Studio Reference 100 v2) and it's subsequent effect on the music.

Anyone ever trade up to the RB-1090 (380W)?

Haven't I spent enough money already?

I'd appreciate RB-1090 and -1080 owners opinions on this.

Thanks,

GF
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I have no idea how either sounds (unfortunately :roll: ) but I sure am jealous of the prospect! :P

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I own the RB-1080, and it powers my fronts very well, and I like the dynamics it provides. However, perhaps fortunately, I don't have the room to house the beastly 1090, I'm very afraid.

Let us know how it turns out :T .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• shadow
        • Dec 2003

Will you be selling the 1080 at a great price? :T

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

If you have room in your budget, perhaps you might want to consider a Bryston 4B SST. Excellent sound reproduction and rated very, very highly. It doesn't have the power capacity (300W @ 8 ohms) vs. the RB-1090 but then again, Bryston understates their amp's real capacity. Don't get me wrong, the Rotel 1080 and/or 1090 amps are very nice but the Brystons are in another league, IMO. If nothing else, go take a listen at a dealer and you will hear the difference between the two amps (or three for that matter).

Jim

P.S. And you can't beat a transferable 20 year warranty!
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Gennisys Freak,

I own the RB-1080 and have demoed the RB-1090. Awesome amp in a extra league up from the RB-1080 for difficult loads. That power and current (1000w into 2 ohms) just gives it huge control. For some speakers (easy loads) if the RB-1080 is loud enough - it will make a little difference. But for a challenging load like those Paradigm 100's you may just love the difference in control, bass in particular. There are several older posts on HT Form re this and their love of power, people moving to Rotels and other big amps and loving it....

I'd get your dealer to demo the Rotel and another quality amp of your choice....

Geoff

Comment

• GenesisFreak
              • May 2004

Thanks for responding!

The place I bought my RB-1080 is going to give me almost 100% trade-in toward the 1090 if I decide to buy it. I just need to come up with the balance (~CAN$1700).

GF

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"