X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twincam
    • Feb 2004

Rotel RC 1090 / RB 1080

Hi

I will soon move to slightly bigger house, and then use my Nautilus 804 for a pure 2 channel setup. My RSP 1098/RMB 1075 combo will be used in a separate room for a HT setup (connected to 805/HTM2/SCM1/ASW700).

I am thinking of the Rotel RC-1090 / RB-1080 combo for the 804s, what do you think of that?

I haven't seen so many post about the RC 1090.
    Many people seems to think that a RB 1080 is a good amplifier, and that it should give some improvments over the RMB 1075!? Or what about the RB 1090, would that improve the sound even more?
    The new Classé Delta CP-500 & CA-2200 looks very nice, but it's almost 3 times more expensive, can it be that much better, I doubt it!?

All thoughts on this are most welcome,

Cheers

TC

PS.
    I posted a similar thread in the B&W forum, but I didn't get so many peplys, so I try it here as well if you don't mind.
  • Twincam
    • Feb 2004

Just to add to my previous post, regardless if I go for RB 1080 or a 1090 (or something else). How do you think a RSP 1068 would perform against a RC 1090 in a pure 2-channel setup?
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but wouldn't a multi-channel pre-amp allow me to connect a SACD or DVD-A player, or is that possible with a RC 1090 as well? Or do you only use such a setup with 5.1? I never listened to a SACD or DVD-A recording so I really don't know if there are any benefits...

Thanks

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

Through the setup menu of a DVD-A / SACD player you can tell the unit / decoder how many channels you'd like it to 'output'. So connecting the RC-1090 to an SACD / DVD-A player won't be a problem.

SACD and DVD-A discs can also be played / decoded in 2 channel audio. (Actually not all SACD discs are multi channel...)

Good luck!
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Twincam
        • Feb 2004

Ok, thanks a lot for your input.

After some more intensive scanning of the Archive, it looks like the RB 1080 should give me an improvment of sound quality compared with my current RMB 1075. Very tempted by the RB 1090 as well, the 804s love power, the question is how much imrovment that would give!? Or is it better to spend the money of upgrade to a good CD player like the RCD1072, or a good SACD/Player like the Denon 3910.

I see a practical problem if I would go for the RB 1090: Where to find a (stylish) rack for that beast, the height of it is 24 cm....
        I'm more confused that ever....

kindly regards

TC

Comment

• weijst
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Twincam
          After some more intensive scanning of the Archive, it looks like the RB 1080 should give me an improvment of sound quality...the 804s love power, the question is how much imrovment that would give!?TC
          The 1090 is a beautifull unit (and a beast indeed!).

I remember members on this forum mentioning that Nautilus speakers will keep improving whenever you throw more power at them. However, I do think that when you're starting to consider the 2 channel RB-1090, you should start considering other brands aswell (parasound maybe, just browse through the threads to find more options). Rotel is (rumoured to be) famous for offering relative high performance at relative low prices. However, when you start looking at their top (i.e. most expensive ) models, this ratio might not be that attractive anymore...

One other thing. At home I have a brochure of Rotel equipment. At the right side of the section that displays their 2 channel amps, a review done by a third party says something like "...the RB-1080 lets the N802 / N801 / N800 (can't remember which one) sound how good they are..." (I obviously dont have the brochure here now). Allthough I find it hard to believe a 200wpc Rotel amp would fully bring a N800 to life, what it does tell me is that the RB-1080 might a very high value unit for the price you pay for it...

Comment

• JDH
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by weijst
            The 1090 is a beautifull unit (and a beast indeed!).

I remember members on this forum mentioning that Nautilus speakers will keep improving whenever you throw more power at them. However, I do think that when you're starting to consider the 2 channel RB-1090, you should start considering other brands aswell (parasound maybe, just browse through the threads to find more options). Rotel is (rumoured to be) famous for offering relative high performance at relative low prices. However, when you start looking at their top (i.e. most expensive ) models, this ratio might not be that attractive anymore...

One other thing. At home I have a brochure of Rotel equipment. At the right side of the section that displays their 2 channel amps, a review done by a third party says something like "...the RB-1080 lets the N802 / N801 / N800 (can't remember which one) sound how good they are..." (I obviously dont have the brochure here now). Allthough I find it hard to believe a 200wpc Rotel amp would fully bring a N800 to life, what it does tell me is that the RB-1080 might a very high value unit for the price you pay for it...
            OK, I think this is the review the Rotel Manual is refering too, see the bottom of the page.

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

804s combined with a 1090 is just flat-out overkill, in my opinion. The 1080 should be able to supply more than enough power. If you were looking at the 1090 for 803s or 802s, then I'd say definitely go for the 1090.

Comment

• weijst
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by weijst
                One other thing. At home I have a brochure of Rotel equipment. At the right side of the section that displays their 2 channel amps, a review done by a third party says something like "...the RB-1080 lets the N802 / N801 / N800 (can't remember which one) sound how good they are..." (I obviously dont have the brochure here now).
                OK, that should have been:

"...The S800 made it clear how good an amplifier the Rotel was; only those intimately familiar with the S800's performance with other amps would notice any lapse from the speaker's optimum performance..."

Thanks JDH

Comment

• Twincam
                  • Feb 2004

Many thx for your input guys!

A quote from the linked review:
                  But when I turned up the volume, the 1080 came to life.
                  This is something I feel apply to my 1075 as well. It sounds good, but you need to turn up the volume a bit... When you play at low volumes I think something is lacking sometimes. I have only listened to the 1080 connected to a pair of 703s, sounded great. Will try to borrow that one home to see how it compares with the 1075. Unfortunately he doesn't have the RB 1090 as demo-untit (quite a small dealer).

I am considering other brands as well. I have read that DrBoom prefers the sound of Parasound vs the Rotel power amp. My (german) dealer accross the border recommends T+A PA 1530 R (german brand) besides the RC 1090 / RB 1080 combo. Never heared about that brand before. From a swedish forum (I'm swedish but live in Switzerland) I got a recommendation of GamuT D-200 MKIII and Gryphon Callisto (both danish brands I think). They don't seem to be so common in Switzerland or Germany.

Thanks again for your inputs, very much appriciated! Keep going! This forum is GREAT, but spending to much time here will make the "upgrade decease" ever worse I fear.. :wink:

Comment

• JBall
                    • Oct 2004

I just hooked up my 803's tonight, i put a 1080 on the lows and used my 1067 for the highs to bi-amp them, they sound great

the 1080 was recommended this month in stereophile, very nice write-up, outperformed others costs 2-3x as much...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"