X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

802D Surround System Help

I recently traded in a complete 7 series surround system (and quite a bit of extra cash) for a pair of 802Ds (needless to say, I couldn't be happier...). I am now saving up for a full surround setup and could use some advice on a few different choices.

I am considering the HTM2D for the center channel, though this will likely be the last element I add to my system since it is not absolutely necessary for cinema surround (I am adding it later because my whole family will be watching from the same couch and thus we will need to have dialogue centered). As far as higher resolution formats such as SACD and DVD-A, will not having a center channel have an adverse effect on the sound since SACD to be specific outputs to a center channel, or does the DVD player (Denon DVD-5910 in my case) split the signal between the left and right front speakers like it does with most digital film formats? A main issue I have is that my 802D speakers are only about 5.8 to 6 feet apart (in order to keep them 3 feet away from the front and side walls, which was necessary to lighten the bass).

The next consideration is my surround speakers. I am not sure what other options I have besides the 805S speakers and their stands, but I am worried they will not match up correctly with the diamond tweeters. It seems that getting the 803Ds would be ridiculous for surround since the back of my couch will be blocking them. I wish B&W released a diamond tweeter version of the 805 speaker. Does anyone know how well the 805 speakers match up with the 802Ds or the diamond tweeters in general? Are there any other options? What is the best choice in this situation without going crazy and spending another 12k+ (USD) on 802Ds or 8K+ (USD) on 803Ds? Is there a more upscale 805 available or will they possibly be releasing a diamond tweeter version of the 805 in the future? I would like the system to match up well for high resolution audio.

One last question. Does anyone know the price of the FS-HTM (MSRP) floor stand?

Thank you in advance,

Jeff
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

Try the SCMS for your surrounds.... For HT use you really won't do much better without going to the 803Ds or more 802Ds which is just silly in the room size you have... The SCMS really fit nicely on the wall and don't give away anything to the 805S in sound...

ALso with the closeness of the 802Ds try before you buy re the centre channel - the 802Ds image so well you may just not need it...

Geoff

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
      Hi,

Try the SCMS for your surrounds.... For HT use you really won't do much better without going to the 803Ds or more 802Ds which is just silly in the room size you have... The SCMS really fit nicely on the wall and don't give away anything to the 805S in sound...

ALso with the closeness of the 802Ds try before you buy re the centre channel - the 802Ds image so well you may just not need it...

Geoff
      Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to mount the SCMS speakers, so I'm stuck with either 803Ds or 805Ss. Will the 805Ss integrate well with the 802Ds and a HTM2D? Does it matter all that much as long as the front two or three speakers match up well, i.e. - will the differences between the 805Ss and the 802Ds not be noticable because of less emphasis on back surround channels in most musical and cinematic applications? I'm worried the 805S speakers won't match up well with the 802D fronts and the HTM2D.

Thanks again.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
        • Mar 2005

I have 800D fronts, HTM2D center and N800 surrounds. They integrate fine... Keep the front similar and the rear similar (5.1 or 7.1 rears) and you should be fine.

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

The 805s will be perfect for the surrounds, I actually prefer them over the wall mount versions, The tweeter being open on the top makes for more of wider dispersion pattern, which gives an excellent rear soundstage and surround effects.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

Great, thanks for all the replies. The 805s will definitely allow me to spend money on things I find more important in the system, like a better source for two channel media.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

JKalman,

The better source for 2 channel is a great idea the 802Ds will really reveal every bit of improvement!

Geoff

Comment

• JKalman
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                JKalman,

The better source for 2 channel is a great idea the 802Ds will really reveal every bit of improvement!

Geoff

I'm considering the Ayre C-5xe as one of the first units I'll demo. Any recommendations on other sources to try out are defintely appreciated. I have a Denon DVD-5910 right now that I am using for everything until I get the new source (which I need mainly for CD, but a player with DVD-A/SACD stereo is a plus, since I prefer stereo for music). I'll continue using the Denon DVD-5910 for surround and video after I purchase a new source.

I've done demos in house with the Rotel RCD-1072, the FMJ CD33, Meridian G08, and the FMJ CD23 as well, but unfortunately I tested these with my old B&W 703 speakers, not with the 802Ds. Other considerations are separate transports and dacs, but I don't want to go overboard for a final 1-5% improvement that I likely won't even notice (I've considered trying out the dCS stacks, EMMLabs stack and Accuphase stack). The reason I like the Ayre C-5xe so much in principle is because it does DVD-A and SACD as well as being an excellent CD source, whereas for 20k or more, even the separate units only do SACD and CD, not DVD-A. The Ayre unit seems to be getting kudos all around.

Thanks.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                  I'm considering the Ayre C-5xe as one of the first units I'll demo. Any recommendations on other sources to try out are defintely appreciated. I have a Denon DVD-5910 right now that I am using for everything until I get the new source (which I need mainly for CD, but a player with DVD-A/SACD stereo is a plus, since I prefer stereo for music). I'll continue using the Denon DVD-5910 for surround and video after I purchase a new source.

I've done demos in house with the Rotel RCD-1072, the FMJ CD33, Meridian G08, and the FMJ CD23 as well, but unfortunately I tested these with my old B&W 703 speakers, not with the 802Ds. Other considerations are separate transports and dacs, but I don't want to go overboard for a final 1-5% improvement that I likely won't even notice (I've considered trying out the dCS stacks, EMMLabs stack and Accuphase stack). The reason I like the Ayre C-5xe so much in principle is because it does DVD-A and SACD as well as being an excellent CD source, whereas for 20k or more, even the separate units only do SACD and CD, not DVD-A. The Ayre unit seems to be getting kudos all around.

Thanks.
                  JKalman

I have a setup similar to what you are thinking about. I have the Ayre D-1XE DVD/Cd player and it is outstanding needless to say. Big investement but well worth it.

I would have to disagree with Aussie Geoff about the 802D's and center channel. Not because the imaging isn't great as when I play stereo I have to actually walk up and check that the center speaker isn't playing they image so well. But I have the htm2d in the center channel and for DPLII (satellite tv) and HT it is really an outstanding speaker. So much comes out of a center speaker that IMHO it is THE most important speaker in the the <HT>

In a True HT setup ALL the speakers would be the same. All 802D's or 703's or whatever, would not change the 'fact' that so much more information comes out of the center channel (speech amongst other things). Therefore, B&W has a speaker like the htm1d, its not by chance.

Bruce

Comment

• Blazar
                    • Feb 2004

pretty much any nautilus range or diamond range speaker should work fine for the surrounds. I have tried my 802N with my 802D fronts and currently I use the SCMS and I am perfectly happy with the SCMS.
                    Blazar!
                    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• Blazar
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                      JKalman

I have a setup similar to what you are thinking about. I have the Ayre D-1XE DVD/Cd player and it is outstanding needless to say. Big investement but well worth it.

I would have to disagree with Aussie Geoff about the 802D's and center channel. Not because the imaging isn't great as when I play stereo I have to actually walk up and check that the center speaker isn't playing they image so well. But I have the htm2d in the center channel and for DPLII (satellite tv) and HT it is really an outstanding speaker. So much comes out of a center speaker that IMHO it is THE most important speaker in the the <HT>

In a True HT setup ALL the speakers would be the same. All 802D's or 703's or whatever, would not change the 'fact' that so much more information comes out of the center channel (speech amongst other things). Therefore, B&W has a speaker like the htm1d, its not by chance.

Bruce

I agree with having to check to see if the center is working ... the 802D sound seamless with my older HTM1. I see no obvious reason to upgrade to a diamond center. I can't imagine my movie enjoyment increasing enough to justify the cost increase to a diamond center.
                      Blazar!
                      (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Blazar
                        I agree with having to check to see if the center is working ... the 802D sound seamless with my older HTM1. I see no obvious reason to upgrade to a diamond center. I can't imagine my movie enjoyment increasing enough to justify the cost increase to a diamond center.

I was actually addressing the difference between "No" center channel at all and just "fronts". Htm1 will do the trick fine.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"