X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hunglikethor
    • Feb 2007

HTM3S vs. HTM2D

I am building a 5.1 home theater system and am using 803Ds for the front, 805Ss for the rear and REL B1 for the subwoofer. I listened to this setup along with the HTM3S and it sounded excellent; however I have read that the HTM2D mataches well with the 803Ds. Before I go ahead and setup another listening session with the 803Ds/805Ss/HTM2D/REL B1 combo, I would be interested in other peoples views as to how much better the HTM2D is versus the HTM3S.

Thanks in advance!

Edward Ray
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Hi Edward & welcome to the club

Whilst I am unable to express an opinion on a direct comparison between the HTM2D and the HTM3S, it should be noted that the HTM2D employs the same diamond tweeters as the 803D and thus should provide you with a perfectly matched front end.

The HTM3S is a better match to the 803S's & 804S's.

Of course, the ultimate test is for you to listen to them yourself & then judge what is best for your own ears.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Comment

• Glenee
      • Aug 2006

I doubt from a home theater stand point you would be able to tell the difference. I had them both on loan to try with my 802D'S. I thought I could tell a difference on music. But then I decided that I was mistaken. I like the fact that the HTM3S was non Ported so I bought it.
      Glenee

Comment

• Maverick71
        • Nov 2006

I have lot's of doubts on this matter also... I have 802D as fronts and will be going to a HTM3S or HTM2D as my center and finally have a decent center speaker in my 5.1 setup.

IMHO,

HTM3S
        +'s
        Smaller cabinet
        Closed cabinet
        Cheaper

-'s
        Non Diamond tweeter

HTM2D
        +'s
        Diamond tweeter
        Better Freq. Response

-'s
        Rear ported (can be problematic)
        More expensive
        Bigger and heavier

Decisions, decisions...

Mav

Comment

• norpus
          • Oct 2005

Have you thought of buying a 3rd main and putting in centre. IMO, this is the ultimate (for a projector setup at least) when it doesn't interfere with the display(s)
          A mate has 3 x 703's across the front and its way better than the htm he had before.
          If I didn't have a crt under my pj screen, this is what I'd aim for rather than a 'matching' traditional centre
          I have experimented with my centre vertically and the voices/clarity is better - just not practical in my setup
          Cheers
          Norpus
          "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I've had both and have the Htm2D, but can say that I hardly heard a difference.

I do what most of the sheep do and follow as I think the center speaker IS the MOST imporatant speaker in the HT.

I am about to bi-amp my htm2d to see if that does anything. (skeptical)

Comment

• Aldo
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              I've had both and have the Htm2D, but can say that I hardly heard a difference.

I do what most of the sheep do and follow as I think the center speaker IS the MOST imporatant speaker in the HT.

I am about to bi-amp my htm2d to see if that does anything. (skeptical)
              misterdoggy:
              What cure your upgraditis?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Possessions = happiness ?

happiness = within

Great Stereo is great, starting at a lot less than $100k thats all

Comment

• Maverick71
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by norpus
                  Have you thought of buying a 3rd main and putting in centre. IMO, this is the ultimate (for a projector setup at least) when it doesn't interfere with the display(s)
                  A mate has 3 x 703's across the front and its way better than the htm he had before.
                  If I didn't have a crt under my pj screen, this is what I'd aim for rather than a 'matching' traditional centre
                  I have experimented with my centre vertically and the voices/clarity is better - just not practical in my setup
                  That indeed would be perfect, but not viable (at least for me).

Mav

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"