X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarcoJ
    • Oct 2005

Marantz SR8500 Receiver & 804S?

Hi,
    I am new here. Just found out that there is B&W forum and I have B&W for several years now. But it is never too late :P

Recently I have upgraded my av receiver + dvd to a marantz sr8500 + dv9500 and now it is time to upgrade my speakers :W. Currently I am using the 600 series but I really like to new 804s! Haven't heard them yet.

Is my receiver powerfull enough to enjoy these speakers or is this too much?

I hope you can help me

Marco
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It will do alright...and will sound better that's for sure.

But you won't be getting the full potential out of your speakers. You'd need to get a good amp to go with the Marantz (use it as a pre)...then you'd be set.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• MarcoJ
      • Oct 2005

Thanx!
      I think I will start without an extra amp cause my budget is not unlimited :M
      The marantz has an option to bi-amp the frontspeaker. Will this improve the sound or will this make a little sound change?

Comment

• Verinnal
        • Mar 2005

I have the SR8500 w/ the DV6500, 804S for the LR and HTM4S for the center with two signature 7NTs for surround duty. I'm very satisfied with the SR8500.

Comment

• MarcoJ
          • Oct 2005

Ok!
          So the 804 is still an option for me That is great news!!!
          Have you bi amped your frontspeakers?

Comment

• Verinnal
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MarcoJ
            Have you bi amped your frontspeakers?
            Nope. I'm very happy with the way they sound so I figure why mess with a good thing. One day I'm sure I'll probably use the extra two amp channels from my receiver to experiment with biamping but I heard one or two people say that they didn't hear a difference at all so at this point I'm not motivated enough to do the work and test it. I suggest you try to find a way to listen to them before you buy. I was lucky enough to have a nice salesman and he set them up for me with the same equipment that I had at home so I knew how they'd sound before I got them in my house.

Good luck.

Comment

• Ian D
              • Jun 2005

Hi Marco J
              I have the SR8500 with 703's as fronts, and the bi amping definately improved the sound.
              I've recently got a power amp, Lexicon LX5, and use the Marantz purely as a pre and am very very pleased with the improvement, well worth the extra bucks.
              Cheers Ian
              :^x

Comment

• Verinnal
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ian D
                Hi Marco J
                I have the SR8500 with 703's as fronts, and the bi amping definately improved the sound.
                I've recently got a power amp, Lexicon LX5, and use the Marantz purely as a pre and am very very pleased with the improvement, well worth the extra bucks.
                Cheers Ian
                Ian,
                Can you elaborate on how it improved the sound? Were there any measurable differences? Were you running into problems before biamping that caused you to biamp the speakers (i.e. clipping or distortion)? If your sub is crossed over at 80hz (which seems to be the lowest the SR8500 allows you to go) I would think that the speakers very rarely dip into those low impedances that would require more juice. I'm curious about the benefits of biamping but haven't had the time or motivation to make myself another set of cables to test this.

Comment

• Ian D
                  • Jun 2005

Verinnal,
                  Firstly let me say that I have always bi wired my speakers, and on studying the manual for the SR 8500, about a year after I got it , it was quite a simple exercise involving no cost to bi amp, that’s why I tried it, and to be honest I didn’t expect much difference when I did it. I use my system for both stereo, and multi channel so I’ll address both separately,

When listening to Stereo sources I usually use the pure direct function on the amp hence disconnecting all processing and filters, listening just to what’s recorded on the disc. This disconnects my sub. I found bi amping tightened up the lower end drastically giving it more control and deeper sounding notes, drastically increased the soundstage, with the mids sounding clearer and better defined, can’t say I noticed any change in the higher frequencies. The overall improvement was nothing short of outstanding and I have to admit I swapped back and forth a good few times over a period of a week or so as I couldn’t believe the improvement.

On Multichannel the difference was far less obvious but still apparent, the mids certainly improved and the soundstage appeared larger, positioning of surround effects also seemed to be more pronounced, and I know it doesn’t make sense but moving effects seemed easier to determine the position of the objects, Jets on Top Gun and effects on SACD particularly DSOTM sounded clearer.

I would strongly recommend giving it a try if you’ve got a spare couple of channels on your amps The B&W’s certainly appreciate it.

Cheers Ian

Comment

• MarcoJ
                    • Oct 2005

I think I listen to the 804 and decide if the marantz combination is ok. I listen to music for 70% and my listening level is not that loud so perhaps I can start without an amp and add these later...

Comment

• Verinnal
                      • Mar 2005

Ian,
                      Aww shucks. Now you've done it. I guess I have another project to add to the "To Do" list this the weekend. Time for some experimentation...

Thanks for the reply.
                      Jason

Comment

• MarcoJ
                        • Oct 2005

Verinnal you should really give a it try! I bi amped my speakers in 15 minutes with qed silver annivereiry bi-wire

Comment

• Ian D
                          • Jun 2005

Jason - I'd love to hear your opinions when you do it
                          Marco J - So what do you think, is bi-amping better or not ? Are you still using the 600's or have you got the 804's

Comment

• MarcoJ
                            • Oct 2005

I still have the 600 but I'll go to listen to the 804 next weekend. So I am excited already
                            I think bi amping improved the sound. The bass is more controlled and there is more in the music. But I find it difficult to explain what really the differences are. But I believe the sound is better and is the important thing!!

Comment

• MarcoJ
                              • Oct 2005

I've listened to several speakers today. Didn't like the Dynaudio (focus, 72se) at all. The music was very laid back and it seemed to be in the speaker and not around it.

Liked the 704/703 and 804s very much. The 804s was the most musical speaker but also the most expensive one :P
                              I have to go the next back to do some more listening. It's a dirty job...

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"