X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

Best Signature 805 Sub Combination

I am going to add a sub to my system which will compliment my Signature 805s. I have it narrowed down to 3 contenders which are the B&W ASW 800, Rel Storm 111, or Velodyne DD10. Keep in mind I will be buying a used unit and they all seem to be available in the $1,200 to $1,500 range. I will be using the system for about 60% music and 40% HT.

Thanking you in advance , Ed
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I don't have the Signature 805s, I have the Nautilus 805s combined with a Velodyne SPLR-800. I think for this question scottielee is your man. He has the Signature 805 combined with the Velodyne DD12s. Might want to talk to him.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

I'm one of the few fan of B&W subs. You'll find a lot of people are quick to dismiss them because they are overpriced. However, based on what you were saying about the price range, I think that argument won't apply for you.
      Let us know what you decide.

Comment

• bullitt731
        • Aug 2005

Yes I saw a post where scottielee was running the DD12. I was hoping to get some opinions on the REL Storm 111 from an actual owner.

Ed

Comment

• scottielee
          • Apr 2005

hi Ed,

honestly, i went with a dd12 to buy me some time until i can afford my dream full range speakers. it is doing a pretty good job so far. very good integration and great punch.

but after listening to other 2 channel systems with more full range speakers, i feel that my 2.1 setup lacks the finer details in mid to low bass by comparison.

if you have use of a sub in a future 5.1 setup, which is in my long long term plan, then getting one is certainly a fun and educating solution. i have learned the importance of bass in the process.

best of luck!
          scott

Comment

• bullitt731
            • Aug 2005

scottielee

Sounds like I should just use the Veolodyne F1000 10" servo sub I have now and save the $1,500 I was going to spend on a new sub for upgrading to the 803Ds. That is where I want to end up in about a year or so.

Ed

Comment

• scottielee
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bullitt731
              scottielee

Sounds like I should just use the Veolodyne F1000 10" servo sub I have now and save the $1,500 I was going to spend on a new sub for upgrading to the 803Ds. That is where I want to end up in about a year or so.

Ed
              i agree :T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Bullit731
                Sounds like I should just use the Veolodyne F1000 10" servo sub I have now and save the $1,500 I was going to spend on a new sub for upgrading to the 803Ds.
                Try the B&W 800 series sub - I kow this will give you the subtle musical bass details you are after (they are made to). While it is not the best HT sub in the world - they are amazing for music and I belived will be what you need...

Geoff

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

Martin Logan Descent is a fabulous sub for both music and movies and is very easy to blend. It runs around $2K used but is worth the extra $ IMO.

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

I own the ASW850 and really like it for 2 channel, but I just listened to the Martin Logan Descent paired up with some Wilson Watt Puppys and for HT and holy moly!!!, that sub will clear your colon. :T ;x( ;x(

On the other hand, if you are going for the 803Ds, those speakers should supply enough bass to do both HT and 2 channel.
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"