X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magicvinny
    • Jul 2008

Speakers for dedicated HT

Next year i would like to start to transform my attic in a dedicated HT. Dimensions would be 4 meter x 5 meter.
    I would like to use an acoustically transparent screen so the speakers are hidden away. Now I'm debating on what speakers to use. I have 3 different types in my head: - CWM 7.3 x3
    - 805Di + HTM4D
    - Signature 805(not 805S) + HTM4S

With the CWM 7.3 I can get a 7.2 set up with speakers of the same series(700) AND i can also hide the surround speakers.

With the 805Di I can only put the 3 front speakers behind the screen but then for the surround I would also need diamond speakers to keep the uniformity but i cannot hide them away. This will also be the most expensive set up.

The Signature 805 is, if I understand correctly, a better speaker then the "normal" 805S and they can be found for a quite fair price. For the surrounds i could use the Signature SCM wich are also visible but i could wall-mount them.

For me it would be important to use all 7 speakers from the same range, don't want to mix and match. So wich of the above 3 options would be best?

So any help of people with experience would be appriciated!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

magicvinny,

Decisions, decisions. Each option has merit. I like the CWM option because it allows for two subs, an appealing idea. The signatures are very nice in their own right.

However, the bedrock of an HT system is a stout stereo setup. I happen to love the Diamond tweeter of the 800 products. I also believe getting the best speaker for your budget is the best long term solution. That's why I am gravitating to the 805Di option. While you can also get 805Di's for surrounds, you could consider 805S's for now. They would be a pretty good match for the 805Di's, and less expensive. Then upgrade later. But all speakers the same is the best option long term.

I have the same size room as you as a dedicated HT room. I have 802D's, HTM2D and 804S's. They are pretty spectacular. You might consider 804Di's as your main speakers. The cost of these is not much more than 805Di's with the matching stands.

I like tower speakers. Including as rear speakers. You could consider going with 4 804Di's and the HTM4D. That would be pretty sweet. With the HD audio formats in Blu Ray, having the towers for the four corners would be quite nice. You can then add the 6th and 7th channels later.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• magicvinny
      • Jul 2008

htsteve,

Thanks for your reply!

I understand that diamond speakers all around would be best. However, is it smart to put 805Di's or 804Di's behind a screen, inclosed between the wall and the screen.
      What i mean is that they don't have much space to "breathe".

As for surrounds i could use 805Di's and try to wall-mount them. Ofcourse the speakers are visible then

Is there a really big difference between 805Di's and Signature 805? I know in price there is

I can't really comment on the CWM 7.3 as I never heard them but reviews are good.
      They would be ideal because then no singel speaker is visible, just think that the diamonds or signature's would sound better. So....dilemma, having the better sound with all speakers visible or having maybe less good sound with all speakers in-wall.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

If there is one thing Women hate more, it is exposed speakers and wires!!. Most Women that see my living room set up are applaud at my exposed 60" TV, large, floor standing tower speakers, wall mounted speakers, and multitudes of wires floating around on the floor!!. Honestly, I would take sound quality over aesthetics any day but then again, I'm an audiophile and a guy!!.

The only thing I can say is buy the best speakers you can afford, and make sure that all 5 or 7 of them are of the same model series and uses the same driver composition. This makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the audio presentation both for HT and music!!.

I have no experience with the above speakers so I cannot comment on them. However, there is an almost certain sonic price to pay for in wall speakers or speakers placed behind a screen.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• leej
          • Feb 2009

What about the B&W CI or CT Series for custom install?
          Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
          B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• John22614
            • Feb 2010

It seems like kind of a shame to place the beautiful 800 DI series behind a screen.....part of the joy of owning them is seeing them.
            Last edited by John22614; 19 December 2011, 13:50 Monday.
            B&W 804s Mains
            B&W HTM4 Center
            Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
            Marantz AV 7005 processor
            Anthem MCA 30 Amp
            Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• Tweir
              • Oct 2006

First let me say that I have thought about the same setup and I do not think you can achieve good results behind a screen with this speaker. I would recommend against the 805's behind the screen. Here are a couple of reasons 1) if you are using an 805 then most likely you will be using separates to power them and if so then this setup would probably be a balanced setup. This would not allow you to use the stewart cinemasonic processor (which is a single ended device ) that compensates for the frequency fluctuation of placing the speakers behind the screen. 2) if you choose the new 805d's then they have alot of reflection points on them, gloss black, the new rings around the drive units that could reflect back and become visible to the eye. I would choose the ccm7.3 in wall speakers if space is tight if not then use the ct7.3 or ct7.4 as your front three. These speakers are very efficient and are of a matte finish with little to no reflection. You can then use something like the rotel separates that are not balanced and then can use the cinemasonic processor from stewart that uses single ended rca. If you are serious about this room and want to do it right check out this link below.

Comment

• Tweir
                • Oct 2006

"However, the bedrock of an HT system is a stout stereo setup." I completely agree just not in a dedicated home theater system were the goal is to replicate the commercial environment with the speakers behind the screen.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"