X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasmine_love
    • Jun 2005

Amps for signature 805

Hi,

can somebody recommend me nice amps for signature 805 at around $2000? I really love this speakers. I am currently using yamaha receiver z9 now and finding a way to use yamaha as a pre/pro if this make sig 805 souds better. Is there a way to drive front speaker with additional power amp and surround with receiver? Is there a way to turn on the amp when the receiver is on? Thanks.

jasmineluv
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

...Is there a way to drive front speaker with additional power amp and surround with receiver...
    If your Z9 has pre-out, this won't be a problem.

Is there a way to turn on the amp when the receiver is on? Thanks
    Rotel has these 12V trigger outputs for this. I don't know if the Yamaha has these... Maybe your Z9 has a 'normal' power output on the back to which you can connect the power cord of additional gear. It is supposed to turn on the connected gear whenever the Z9 is turned on. Remember to check the limitations of this input before you connect the amp!

Good luck!
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

speaking as a proud owner of signature 805 (2 years and counting) and jadis tube amps: i may be the only one on this forum who would recommend tube amps, but my advice is to at least listen to one within your budget. a few of my favorite brands to consider: jadis, canary, cary, and mcintosh. they all have models within your budget in used condition and some new. try audiogon.

best of luck!
      scottie

Comment

• jasmine_love
        • Jun 2005

Hello scott,

I am glad that I found another signature 805 user. I've never used tube amps. What kind of care is needed?

Comment

• scottielee
          • Apr 2005

i have owned my tube amps for 8 months now, so i am no expert. but here is what i know and have experienced:

1. tube biasing when changing tubes can be a major pain, so look for amps with auto bias.
          2. some tube amps can get real hot, depending on design and number of tubes.
          3. look for quality tubes that last (don't have to be expensive new old stock). some tubes last more than 10,000 hours (years of enjoyment)
          4. tube amps need to warm up (10+ minutes) each time you turn them on before listening. some sounds best after 1 hour of warm up. why not leave them on all the time? some amps are unreliable and tube replacement can get expensive.
          5. avoid unreliable brands (obviously ) i have heard of tube amps breaking down while blowing the tubes to create small fireworks :E
          6. they are not children-friendly, but most audio equipment aren't.

you may think tube amps come with a lot of hassle. but newer jadis amps, canary, mcintosh, balanced audio technology, cary, lamm, and a host of others are very reliable and easy to maintain.

keep in mind that one of the biggest advantage of tube gear have over solid state is that you can change tubes to better match your other gear to get the sound you like. it is more work, but this hobby is pretty sophisticated to begin with :T

best of luck!
          scottie

Comment

• Fife
            • Apr 2004

Good advice Scottie.

Comment

• Patt
              • Feb 2005

Me not being familiar with tube equipment Scottie had some interesting easy to understand comments compared to a lot of other stuff I've read.
              ......Pat

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"