X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charcoalbuddy
    • Aug 2007

B&W Nautilus 805 vs 805S

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Nautilus 805 and 805S?
    I'm guessing that the 805S is just a newer version. What will I lose if I just get the N805? Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find any information regarding the differences. I think the N805 was released in 1999, but when was the 805S released?

thanks,
    Charcoalbuddy
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I believe the major difference is in the crossover "design & components".

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

If you search through these threads, there are several on this subject. The following review from Hi-Fi Choice sums it up pretty well:

805S Review
      Brad

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

To my ears 805N is more neutral and more warm on the ears...Less fatiguing!!
        805s are to my ears brighter more forward, probably a wee bit more detail, but very fatiguing and tiring to hear at medium to high listening sessions.
        The 805N are older of course ,and quite a few crossovers and components have been changed, but I still prefer the perfect neutral and more NATURAL detailed sound of the 805N over the 805s ,and mind you ,the 805N will be a lot cheaper!! I say go for them but as the LAW of this forum suggest: Let your ears make that decision for you amigo!!
        Godd Luck and cheers.

Comment

• Pedro
          • Jan 2006

The newer standard 800 (800S) serie, is a bit forward. I´ve heard the 804S and this is very forward but less than 703 wich is a very very bright speaker. The Diamond series is the smoothest speaker i´ve ever heard from BW. They are smooth than the old nautilus series, and probably so smooth as the Matrix series. I´ve recently bought the 803D and this speaker excels my expectations: very balanced, and have a GReAT bass, with a top end detail without being fatiguin (very smooth)

Comment

• Charcoalbuddy
            • Aug 2007

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure if I will have a chance to listen to the older Nautilus 805 speakers before I buy them. I'll be getting it from an auction site. I assume most retailers won't even sell the older speaker anymore.

I have a couple of follow up question. If I get the older Nautilus 805, which center channel speaker pairs up best with it? HTM1, 2, 3,4,7?
            If I get the newer 805S which center channel speaker is best for it?

Thanks,
            Charcoalbuddy

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

Hello Charco,

The N805 were well paired with NHTM2. The 805S could be pair with HTM4S wich has the same dimensions of NHTM2

Comment

• Charcoalbuddy
                • Aug 2007

Thanks Pedro for the quick response. Now I know what to look for
                I was thinking I could go with the 805S for the front speakers and get the N805 for the rears. I already have the Velodyne Minivee 10 subwoofer. I'm considering purchasing the new Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver to drive the 5 speakers. I haven't found any professional reviews on the receiver yet though.

Regards,
                Charcoalbuddy

Comment

• Boone38
                  • Dec 2004

Read your entire thread. I have owned several B & W speakers over the years. I have owned the 805N and the 805S. I have had both the HTM2 and 4. Currently I have the 804S and the 805S with the HTM4S for the front. The sound of the "S" vs the "N" to me is not in question. The S version wins hands down.

Do you really think that B & W would release a version that is of less quality then the prior version? The difference may be subtle but better none the less.
                  These speakers are very revealing as you know. That makes your source power even that more critical. I run my main system with a Classe CAV75 and an Anthem AVM30. The sound is very detailed and rich. On a second system I have the 805S and a Denon 2807 receiver the sound is incredible for the amount invested. Onkyo makes a good receiver. Give the denon a try before you buy. Above all look at the S version.

Comment

• Charcoalbuddy
                    • Aug 2007

Boone38, thanks for the feedback. I definitely want the 805S for my main LR speakers. I still need to do more research for the receiver/pre-amp/amp. HDMI and the new HD audio codecs from DTS and Dolby is important for me for HD-DVD and blu-ray playback. So I want something that can handle the new HD-DVD/blu-ray playback requirements.

Regards,
                    Charcoalbuddy

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"