X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottielee
    • Apr 2005

b&w signature 805 + velodyne dd-12

see thumbnails for some interesting 15hz - 200hz response charts for my pair of signature 805 before and after incorporating a velodyne dd-12 into my system :E :T
    i am one happy camper
    Attached Files
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

WOW, you just sold me on the digital EQ system!!

Comment

• perato
      • Jan 2005

Very impressive EQ, what crossover frequency did you use?
      In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• scottielee
        • Apr 2005

thanks guys. i am sending full signals from cd player to both monitors and sub, while limiting the sub's response to 60hz and below. i chose 60hz because it is the center of my monitors' response dip. it works well.

i initially thought of getting two subs. but after hearing the superb dd-12, i doubt another one would be much better for the money.

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Hmm...why not use a high pass crossover on the monitors?

Comment

• scottielee
            • Apr 2005

the sub's crossover adds a slight ssszz noise, although only audible when i am 6 inches away from the tweeters. when going direct, the noise is only audible when one of my ear is 1 inch away

plus i am a purist/minimalist at heart. but i think i have an accessories fetish with isolation stands, tube dampers, cable muffs...

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

Don't you think the 805s would play much 'cleaner' in the midbass/midrange if they weren't playing the lower frequencies?

How bout a better HP crossover?

But if you can only hear it from 6" away does it really matter??....to each his own I guess.

Still love the sub! I'd be curious to compare price/performance/sound quality of the new B&W vs. Velodyne eq subs.

Comment

• scottielee
                • Apr 2005

it actually sounds cleaner to me without using the sub's crossover. my perception could be biased since i already know about the noise... it bugs me too much to mentally ignore it even if i can't hear it normally

my philosophy is to not degrade the source signal as much as possible. it would take a jadis jps2 preamp for me to accept additional noise...

do you know when are the new b&w subs with eq are coming out and approximate prices?

thanks!

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                  • Mar 2005

I found the same thing. I actually run my N804s the same way...full range without using the high pass crossover in my HGS12II. I tried both ways and found the coloration I heard unacceptable in the mids. When I was doing passive biamping, I never heard the coloration as I was driving the midrange/tweeter at full range with one channel of the amp. The woofers were driven off the other channel of the amp but the input signal for that channel was passed through the high pass filter. That setup worked pretty well until I scrapped the configuration in favor of a bigger beefier amp (Bryston 6B ST.)

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

I wonder if anyone can suggest a higher quality HP crossover? That will not 'deterioate' the sound. I'm guessing the crossovers placed in the subs aren't all that great.

I believe the new B&W subs were supposed to come out in the fall sometime.

Comment

• junior77blue
                      • Nov 2004

B&W 875 15" = $4000 (from B&W website)
                      B&W 865 12" = $3200 (est)

How do those retail prices compare to velodyne?

Comment

• scottielee
                        • Apr 2005

b&w prices are very competitive with velodyne's:
                        velodyne dd-12 (12") $3000 retail (i paid $1800 new)
                        velodyne dd-15 (15") $4000 retail

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

Umm...how did you get such a deal?

I just wonder how they sonically compare to each other, features, ease of use, etc...

Comment

• scottielee
                            • Apr 2005

if anyone would like to know where i purchased the dd-12, please feel free to send me a private message.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"