X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprocket101
    • Aug 2005

Center Channel for DM610i Mains

Does anyone have a recommendation for a center channel to go with a left right pair of DM610i? Thanks for your time.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi sprocket101,

I don't have any advice for you on a suitable centre because I'm into music not HT.

I just wanted to say hello to a fellow DM610i owner because there are so few of us in the HTGuide Forum - in fact just the two of us as far as I can see!

I've had really good service from my 610i's over the past 12 years. They're now my second pair of speakers in a 4.1 configuration (2 stereo pairs plus a subwoofer). Whilst they lack the detail of higher-end B&W speakers, I think they have a warm sound that makes them a pleasure to listen to over long periods.

Recently one of my drivers developed a fault so I took the speaker into B&W's head office in New Zealand. Amazingly they had a spare driver on the shelf for less than US$100. That's pretty impressive for such an old piece of equipment. I should be able to get another 12 years out of them now!

Comment

• sprocket101
      • Aug 2005

DM610i

Bigburner,

I apologize for the slow reply. I work in the sound reinforcement industry and summers are crazy. I've owned my DM610i speakers for may years also. I have never changed them because they have never given me any reason to do so. Nothing really "bugs" me about their sound. Maybe one of the hidden gems on e-bay. They sell cheap there.

I like to hear other people's impressions of sound. You find the 610's to be warm and lacking detail. I think this is great. Everyone's ears are different. I find them to be upfront and close. Little sizzle and an accurate low-end from the closed box woofer alignment. Being involved with recording and concert production I think I like the "accurate" or "flat" sound these have; not everyone would find this a good quality.

I picked up a Voice of Music Tube amp at a local thrift store many years ago. $6.00. It must be no more than 12 watts per channel manufactured in the late 1960's. I goes well with the 610's and colors the sound in a very musical and organic way. But there is a warm-up time and no remote...and definitely no surround. Since I'm not touring as much anymore I wanted a home theater system. I purchased a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, B&W LCR60 S3 center channel and a pair of DM600 S3 for surrounds. They seem smoother and probably more accepted for the mass listening audience. Though I don't think as accurate. They seem to be a good complement to the Main L & R 610's. It would be great to hear from other DM610i owners and their impressions of them.

One other side note. The DM610i can get very loud when fed with enough (80+) wattage. High-pass the 610's and add a separate sub, you can have a concert P.A. system in your living-room.

Be well

Sprocket101

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

I drive my DM610i's with a Harman Kardon amp that delivers 120 watts into 8 ohms and 170 watts into 4 ohms, and they seem to thrive on the power. They are fed via the high-pass filter in my sub which is set at 80Hz.

A photo of my DM610i is attached. Do yours look the same?
        Attached Files

Comment

• marcelhold
          • Oct 2006

Hello there!
          Not sure if this is still current, but then again, it doesn't matter if it's not....
          I've just come across this site by accident: I was actually searching for reviews of my trusted 610i-s and came across this thread.
          I've had mine since 1995/6 and bought them with my midi hifi set, which is also still with me....
          I'm hoping to upgrade the system, but keep the boxes as I've replaced the bass units in them and they sound as great as ever !
          What would be the best match to buy for them, does either of you know?

Comment

• Clepto
            • Feb 2006

You might be best served by seeing if you could find a used pair on ebay/audiogon... and then you can use 3 in front, and have a 'spare' if needed...

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by marcelhold
              What would be the best match to buy for them, does either of you know?
              Hi marcelhold,

Many people in this forum consider Rotel gear to be a good match for low to mid level B&W speakers. Rotel manufactures a range of 2, 5 and 7 channel equipment. I suggest that you have a look at www.rotel.com under "Products".

Nigel.

Comment

• marcelhold
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                Hi marcelhold,

Many people in this forum consider Rotel gear to be a good match for low to mid level B&W speakers. Rotel manufactures a range of 2, 5 and 7 channel equipment. I suggest that you have a look at www.rotel.com under "Products".

Nigel.

Thanks Nigel!
                I've heard this before... what kind of sound do they generally produce? I'm unsure of what exactly I'm looking for, but I would have thought a neutral sound would be a good starting point
                BTW: my 610i-s look exactly like yours

Marcel

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by marcelhold
                  I've heard this before... what kind of sound do they generally produce? I'm unsure of what exactly I'm looking for, but I would have thought a neutral sound would be a good starting point
                  Marcel, I believe that the sound of a hi-fi system is determined mostly by its speakers, not the amp driving them. I would therefore be looking for an amp that is powerful enough to control your speakers well. For example, if the recommended power for a particular pair of speakers is 30 - 100 watts at 8 ohms I would buy an amp that delivers 100 watts of power at 8 ohms. You could even buy a more powerful amp than this if you plan to upgrade your speakers in future.

Rotel amps offer good price performance, which makes them popular. However I am sure that there are other brands that will drive your speakers nicely too.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"