X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor
    • May 2005

B&W 703 vs older 804

Just wondering if it would be worth 200.00 dollars to upgrade to a one year old pair of 804. I am waiting for my local dealer to get in a used set of 703 to upgrade from my 604 s3. I want to know if it would be worth the upgrade for the old 804. I cannot listen to the old 804 since the dealer no longer has the older model. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks Trev 8O 8O
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

well...if it'd only cost you $200, then I'd say it's a no brainer. Do you do more movie listening or music listening? If mostly music, I think the older 804s will be better than the 703s, but if mostly movies, then I'd take the 703s and save that $200 on something else, like a better interconnect cable or something. Where you from Trevor? There might be some generous HTguider near you that can maybe give you a demo of the older 800s series.
    Good luck.

Comment

• Trevor
      • May 2005

I am in Albuquerque New Mexico. I listen to two channel about 70 percent and movies about 30.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Trevor,
        Just wondering if it would be worth 200.00 dollars to upgrade to a one year old pair of 804.
        Absolutely!
        The only reservation I'd have would be power amplification - the 804s are a little more demanding of the amplifiers and whereas a 703 will work acceptably on a quality reciever, few people have found the 804 to be satisfactory driven that way.. What do you have to drive it?

Geoff

Comment

• Trevor
          • May 2005

Right now I am using a 200 watts per channel adcom amp. I am stuck on the idea of the brightness of the 703 vs 804's. I really liked the 804s but that is way out of my price range?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Trevor
            Right now I am using a 200 watts per channel adcom amp. I am stuck on the idea of the brightness of the 703 vs 804's. I really liked the 804s but that is way out of my price range?
            Your adcomp amp will drive the 804 just fine...
            The 804 is tonally similar to the 804S - which has sweeter trebble and (just a little) tighter bass. However for $200 you will get a big step-up from the 703 for music (especially vocals).... Go for it!

[B]Geoff[/B
            ]

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

I , too, initally wanted to purchase the 703 but once the delaer offerd me a good price on discontinued 804N I could not pass it up. In your case, the $200 differnece is an easy decision - get the 804s.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"