X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ray
    • Jun 2004

4 x 703s or 4 x 804s ???

Hello,
    I'm a new member and will start by thanking you all for all the information you already gave me via all the previous threads. I'm willing to buy speakers for a 5.1 setup. I choose B&W because I like the clear sound image it produces. I'm thinking of the following speakers:
    - 4 x 804 (or 4 x 703)
    - HTM-2 (or the HTM7 in case of the 703s)
    - Sub ??? ASW850 is too much, and the ASW800 is no longer in production.

I have already a Denon DVD2900 player and I'm thinking of buying the Rotel RSX-1056 or RSX-1067 (which one is best to drive the 804? I think the RSX-1067 (7 x 100w)).

Is 4 x 804 a overkill for DVD-A and SACD listing and should I choose 2 x 804 and 2 x 805??? And which sub should I choose?

So thats a lot of noise for a first round, and I'm sorry for it, but would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,

Raymond
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Well, as hard as it may be to believe, it's really a no-brainer.
    Either you like the 703, or you like the 804.
    These 2 are nowhere near each other in the sound department, or the looks.
    So as soon as you audition both, with the amp you'll be using them with (or plan to get) it will all become very clear which series is right for you.
    I was in the same dilemma half a year ago, and was almost certain I'd get 4x 704 + HTM7, but listening proved that I liked the sound of the 800 series way better.
    The other thing is, if you decide to get 4x 804, you NEED that HTM1 center.
    Otherwise you'd be better off getting 4x 805 + HTM2.
    Besides, the 805's paired with a good sub is a very nice combination as well.
    Regarding your choice of amplification, if you go the 804 route you definitely need a separate poweramp to get these going, especially since you want 4 of them.
    The 703's are a little easier on the amps, higher efficiency and just easier to drive.
    I'd go as far as recommending an RMB1095 for the 804's, I had the 1075 and it didn't really bring out the best in them.
    It was OK, but not even close to what they're really capable of doing if powered right.
    Being an ex-Rotel owner myself (still got the 1098 pre-amp though) I 'd like to suggest that you try a different brand of poweramp too if possible, just to be sure you actually like the sound of Rotel poweramps.
    If money is no object, I'd go for 4x the same speaker.

Regarding the subs, who says the ASW800 is no longer in production ? 8O
    If you think the 850 is going to be too much, there are several other fine brands that you can try.
    REL for instance, or one of the larger internet companies like HSU or SVS (never heard those but get lots of publicity).
    It all depends on the size of your room, budget and taste.

If it was my choice, 4x 804 + HTM1 + ASW850 (or REL STadium) powered by separates. :T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

804's and HTM1 for a big )

DrBoom,

Let me second that re:
      1) The listening (the 703's and 804's are very different)
      2) Separates
      3) Trying several amps (too much power is not enough for those 804s)
      4) The 804's for my taste - much better mids and treble than the 703's for my ears)
      5) The HTM-1 Centre - for the 804's - so important for the seamless midrange match.

Ray - Enjoy your comparative listening.

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I have to agree with the above posts.

You will need a power amp for 804s.
        I have a cinenova grande (300w x 5) and I think it sounds great! really warmed the sound up, almost tube-like.
        Do not bother with the htm2 if you go with 804's.
        im have the same dilema in regards to a sub.
        Im not sure if I would spend the money for 804's in the rear. I would definately try it, and then try 805's or the scm1's and see if you notice a difference. If you do, then go for it!
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Sikoniko,

Good point re the 805's they are a nice match and easier to place (for most rooms) than the 804s.

That will help Ray with the cost of the HTM-1 centre and ASW-850 subwoofer

Geoff

Comment

• luszer
            • Feb 2003

Sikoniko

You mention the HTM2 not matching well with 804s. I have a request regarding the HTM2 mated with CDM 9nt's. Does this config match well and what can expect?

Thanks Ron

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I would not recommend trying to mix series. While the htm2 is not as good as the htm1, it is still a very good center. There was a significant difference between the old matrix htm I had and the htm2.

I originally had the same thought, having a really good center matched up with ok fronts. Mine was the matrix htm matched w/ 604's. The problem you will have is that there will not be a seemless soundstage which in my opinion is more important than having a really good center and a couple lower end fronts.

while I have not heard the speakers matched up that you are referring to, I would tend to go against that thought.

Comment

• Ray
                • Jun 2004

Hi Guys, thanks for all the response!
                The reason I was thinking of 4 speakers of the same type is that the main goal of this setup is audio listening (cd sacd dvd-a). I can understand that 4 speakers of the same type isn't that important for watching movies. I'll certainly try the 804/805 combination. But is it so hard to position the 804s?

I will audition several setups on wednessday, and let you guys know what I think of them.

Thanks again,

Ray

Comment

• Ray
                  • Jun 2004

Hi,
                  Yesterday I auditioned the 703 and the 804 with several amplifiers at a local store. Men, what a difference between the 703 and 804! The 703 are spreading the sound too much, and, that irritating extra high! So the 804 did win the race. I also choose the HTM1 for the center part.

And now the amplifier part...

The 804's need a lot of power to drive them the way they want to. If they are feed with enough power, the sound will become more peacefully with the result that the sound will have more detail.

I think I go for the Rotel 1098/1095 combination. They really bring the 804 alive! I think I keep my Kef Reference model One speakers for the rear part. I can always replace them later on.

So my new setup will be:
                  Denon DVD2900
                  Rotel RSP-1098
                  Rotel RMB-1095
                  B&W HTM1
                  2 x B&W N804
                  2 x Kef Reference Model One

For now, no sub, I will buy the ASW800 later this year.

I think my ears will love this!

Ray

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Ray,

Your two descriptions of:
                    1) The difference in sound between the B&W 703 and the 804
                    2) The magic of a high current amplifier on the 804's
                    Are perfect...

Enjoy now and enjoy again when you get the ASW 800 or 850 sub

And yet again when you upgrade the rears....

The magic of this hobby

Geoff

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

The magic of this hobby
                      The real magic is it can make your money disappear just like that :E

Good choice on the 804's, I had exactly the same experience when I auditioned both series.
                      I can also support the choice to go for the 1095 at least, I had the 1075 but it didn't really make the 804's shine like they can.
                      It's not that they need hundreds of watts, but they do need a stable amplifier with lots of current on tap.
                      Also the quality of the amp is really important since these are very revealing speakers.
                      I like to think of them not as speakers, but simply as a way to make the audiosignal audible.
                      They just reproduce what you give them, whether it's good or bad.

Keeping the KEF's for now is just fine, you can always upgrade later to 805's or 804's.

Comment

• Ray
                        • Jun 2004

Hello,

I forgot to look if the Rotel RMB-1095 is suitable for bi-wiring. Does anyone know this?
                        I suppose so (for the price), but you never know!

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

before we get flamed, you should probably post questions about rotel products in their own forum. a quick answer though, it doesnt really matter, bi-wiring is in the speaker wires. bi-amping would require a second amp.

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

Is there an easier way to search on 3 digit numbers as opposed to scrolling through all the old posts?

I just had the same experience when comparing the 703s to the 804s, didn't think there would be that much of a difference.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"