X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

B&W 804s vs B&W 703

I started a thread "New B&W series", and we came to 804 vs 703, so that's why i'm opening new thread to dont continue off topic..

As u know i had a chance to have them both at my place (too bad that instead of having few days, i have them for few hours together, becouse they sold 703, so i had to return them earlier). Anyway, i have 703 for few weeks, and now i'm still listening 804s, so i can compare them.

Room size: 5.5m x 3.8m with opening about 5 square metters..
    Equimpment: Denon 3808 acting as Pre/Pro and powering Center and rears
    Power Amp: Rotel RB-1080
    CD Player: Rotel 1072
    Cables: Van Den Hull Hybrid CS-122
    Interconect cables: From Denon to Rotel: Van Den Hull Hybrid MK102
    From CD Player to Denon: Audio Quest King Cobra

Room have very bad acoustic, with no carpeting, a lot of windows, and nothing on the walls.

1. B&W 703. I got them brand new, so as first i was very dissapointed becouse they sound so boomy and producing not coherent sound..
    Anyway, i let them play for few days, and changed rubber things with spikes..

Seem that this speakers need burn in period, becouse after maybe few days, they changed their sound... Boomines almost gone, and they start playing more coherent and very very detailed... I like with 703 that on very silent listening i get all details..

They have very wide soundstage, and they are very forward, and i can feel the music with the body, not just with ears.. In my room i found out that i have to put foam plugs inside, becouse without them, there was like a little echoing, and boomines in the bass.. In that configuration, they sounded very nice, and becouse everyone said that it can be tiresome, i tried to listen to them few hours, while i was reading or doing something else.. Actually i done all the test's with my gf, who was singing in choir for long time, so she have the feeling how it have to be.. We find out, that on 703 we just turn the volume a bit down, and while we still have all details, it was not tiresome at all.. About boomines and echoing without foam plugs, what do u think, maybe with more playing it would be totaly gone? Or i'm not right?
    One negative thing that i found is on rock music where there is fast passages with a lot of drums and cymbal parts, the sound of cymbal is not recognized like tsh tsh tsh , more like tshhhhhhhhhhhhhh ( I Noticed this od Danny California, Red Hot Chille Pepers, and maybe it's their bad production).
    I like their curtness with some type of music, and i got feeling like they are so detailed and very accurate.. But on cd acoustic guitars (Vlatko Stefanovski and Tadic Live in Belgrade), on the part when there is tapping guitars, becouse they are so curt, there was not decay on that sound, so it was a bit not that real compared to 804s..

Anyway, except that i have to put foam plugs in the ports, i like it how they sound..

2. 804s. I got them allready played for more then 100 hours, so they sound the same from the start..First what we noticed that they sound more laid back, and with less bass (sometimes i miss a bit more bass).

They have great imaging but they are definitly more laid back compared to 703. Also i found that they are very detailed, but becouse of smaller soundstage not that argumentative. Also they play tighter then 703, and sometimes is that good (i like how they play drums and cymbals), but i dont like tightness and laid back thing in vocals.. on 703 vocal is more exposed, and on 804 sometimes i feel like vocals are in the back, and not muddy, but still a bit distorted... Seem that 804s maybe need more power then Rotel RB-1080.
    The feeling with 703 is like there is live concert in my room, and 804s make like feeling is somewhere not that close. Also i like how 804s look like, and they are just wonderfull in room (i have them in rosenut colour, i think it's best colour). Sometimes with 804s we missed the energy from 703, but on piece with acoustic guitars i really like the feeling specialy from tapping on guitars (there is not that much curtness and there is little decay, which is great on this part of music).

We like the details, sometimes i miss the bass, and i didnt like it that vocal is in the back.. Also i missed sometimess fullines of sound that i get with 703, and sometimes like energy is missed.. When i put foam plugs to 703, i almost got the same feeling 804s, except with more energy...

So what do u think it's better for my room?

1. 703 - I bother with that that i have to put foam plugs in the ports for my room. There is no matching center (but my Denon Audisey fix that and i dont miss that much), and maybe becouse they would be updated with new model, they would be hard to sell in the future). Also they look a bit too big as design compared to 804s

2. 804s - I bother with that i miss energy, fullness of the sound, and very laid back vocals, and that maybe i'll have to upgrade my Rotel 1080 with something more powerfull (and more expensive). There is matching center, but if go the route 804s, with matching HTM3s is 2200 eur more then 703 and HTM7), and i wonder if that is worth..

So guys u'r turn now? What do u think?

Darko
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Although 804S can be quite easy to drive, they require good quality power to get the best of them, and IMO the RB-1080 is the minimum amp that one should couple with the 804S. If you dont plan to do any further upgrades to your electronics, than the 703 would be the better match.

Comment

• cug
      • Jan 2008

I agree that the RB-1080 or one of Rotels Class D amplifiers which can handle hard loads pretty well.

What I found with the 804S is that they are not as aggressive as the 703. I liked the 703 in the beginning, but after listening to them for a while I definitely preferred the 804S by more than just a little bit. Also the 804S had better and more natural imaging (soundstage) for me. Jazz and Classic was soooo much better for our ears, that there was just no question which speaker to take, as we mostly listen to these. Pop/Rock might be more attractive on the 703 because of the aggressiveness, but we didn't care.

We compared with a Classé CAP-2100 driving the two. Nice amplifier, but for me definitely not worth the 5000 bucks they are charging for it.

At home I have now a Musical Fidelity A5 amplifier and CD player. We also tried the RCD-1072 with the A5 amp but it is absolutely no match for the MF player - the amplifier didn't make too much a difference compared to a Rotel RA-1062, but the CD player did - different character.

With all that said: You need to find the "right" combination, that fits your taste, your room, and everything should be "appropriate". Than you have made the right choice. I'm done with upgrades now, I found my "perfect combination" and so I'm pretty happy.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
        • May 2005

Cug, I am planning ahead for my next upgrade of my 804's. Did you compare the Musical Fidelity A5 to the Krell Kav 400xi? What other options did you consider and listen to?

I am running my 804's now on a Denon 3805 AV receiver and am looking for that next level of sound quality and dynamics. Do you think that this might be a worthwhile upgrade in sound quality from my present system. I purchased a subwoofer a few months ago and that seems to have helped for certain tracks that require more low end for my big high ceiling room.

If you don't mind, could you also private message me with the dealer in Calgary you used and the price you paid for the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp and CD player? I live in Vancouver but one of my business associates lives in Calgary and he could conceivably pick some equipment up for me (and save me the 7% BC sales tax).

Thanks for any information you can offer :T

Comment

• cug
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
          Cug, I am planning ahead for my next upgrade of my 804's. Did you compare the Music Fidelity A5 to the Krell Kav 400xi? What other options did you consider and listen to?
          I did listen to the KAV 400xi and was really considering it as a replacement for my RA-1062 because I saw a (slightly) used one on Audiogon for a pretty good price. But I didn't like that every review was talking about how hot this amp gets.

Compared to the Musical Fidelity: I think the A5 is a bit more neutral (pretty close to the Rotel amps, maybe a tick less high frequencies). I couldn't do A/B with the Krell and the MF, but I really liked the sound of the Krell.

I did A/B the A5 with the Classé CAP-2100 and they were incredibly close in character. The Krell seemed (no A/B so not sure) to be a bit "warmer" (a bit more lower mids).

Again: there isn't much difference in all amplifiers I compared, as they were all high quality. There was a way bigger difference between the A5 CD player and the Rotel RCD-1072. The A5 has an incredible sound. Very open but still very smooth. I didn't expect to get that much from the upgrade.

I am running my 804's now on a Denon 3805 AV receiver and am looking for that next level of sound quality and dynamics. Do you think that this might be a worthwhile upgrade in sound quality from my present system. I purchased a subwoofer a few months ago and that seems to have helped for certain tracks that require more low end for my big high ceiling room.
          Actually: I don't know. In my opinion this all relates to the ability of the amp to drive the speaker properly and the rest of the sound is made up by the specific frequency response. So, it might be a good update, you should try to get a "home demo".

The Krells normally have a bit more "punch" - so you might like the sound.

If you don't mind, could you also private message me with the dealer in Calgary you used and the price you paid for the Music Fidelity A5 integrated amp and CD player? I live in Vancouver but one of my business associates lives in Calgary and he could conceivably pick some equipment up for me (and save me the 7% BC sales tax).

Thanks for any information you can offer :T
          I guess I can tell you here because I got the amp for the "show off" from a friend and ordered later when I saw one on Audiogon from Underwood HiFi.
          Last edited by cug; 28 April 2008, 16:59 Monday. Reason: Corrected quoting

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I don't know Krell, but I think me and Cug are thinking alike. Get the 804 and match it with an amp that is a bit more punchy or forward.

I was not in the same position as you, but back then, I was auditioning the 704 vs the 805 + sub. I liked the bit forward sound the 704 gave me, but I favored more the airy and smooth sound of the 805. I received 805s, and went through several amps. After playing with my 805s, I was disappointed on how laid back it sounded with some music... specifically hip-hop and rock. I ended up matching it with a Parasound amp, and I was very happy with it. It was relaxing with soft music, and it came alive with hard music. I would say to go with the 804, and get an amp like the Parasound Halo. There's a Parasound section in this forum, so you might want to check out if anyone there is matching the 804s with a Halo.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Rod S
              • Mar 2005

A lot of your final choice will depend if you want to go multi-channel music or would stick with stereo as a focus. For movies, you might be happy to live with a non-matching center. I'm not a multi-channel music listener, but most who are, will advise not to under estimate the center channel speaker in your front setup. Even for movies it’s a pretty key component for dialogue.

There have been numerous threads on this board about people looking for an HTM-7 alternate. As I recall, some just went straight to 800 series across the front, others mixed 800 series centers with 703 and some went for 3 x 703.

From what you've written here if you stay stereo I think your more content with 703, if you want multi-channel, there is the chance, sooner or later you'll be looking to do something with the lack of FST center in the 700 range in which case maybe 804 is the way to go.

I would say that using your Denon as the front end may be a limiting factor in hearing the difference between the two speakers, that’s not to say the Denon is bad. Even when comparing products from the same manufacturer, say Rotel, there are definite advantages to using a dedicated preamp vs. a processor for stereo music. This is why an HT by-pass function is a feature provided by some manufacturers.

Just some food for thought to completely muddy the waters.....

By the way I'd get the 804S...

Comment

• Mig17
                • Jan 2008

3808 as processor
                you lost about over 50 % music is all about

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                  • May 2005

"3808 as processor you lost about over 50 % music is all about". I wish I could take the Krell KAV 400xi or the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp home to compare to my Denon 3805 in my listening room but unfortunately there are no dealers that I know of in Vancouver that offer this to their customers. Of course I can go to the dealer showroom and listen to the different amplifiers but I will not be able to do a direct comparison with my receiver and speakers in my actual room.

From what I have read from some other sources, the speaker is where the biggest difference in sound is going to come from. If the amplifier has enough power to drive the speakers then there should be no significant difference in sound quality from one amplifier (or receiver to another). I am not sure though if my Denon has enough power to drive my 804's or how it compares in real sound difference to these other integrated amplifiers.

My hesitation is that I go ahead and spend the money on the new amplifier and get it home and hear no real difference from my current Denon 3805. The Denon 3805 at least on CNET (which I know is not a pure audiophile website) received a good review for sound quality and is rated at 110 watts at 8 ohms. http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-30831156.html

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

• cug
                    • Jan 2008

From what I have read from some other sources, the speaker is where the biggest difference in sound is going to come from. If the amplifier has enough power to drive the speakers then there should be no significant difference in sound quality from one amplifier (or receiver to another).
                    More or less true. Nevertheless, speakers have different impedance over the frequency range and amplifiers have different frequency response and power capabilities. Overall I'd say that an amplifier should be stable down to 2 Ohm, not necessarily doubling, but close to that, have a flat frequency response and "enough" power, than your conclusion is my believe.

I am not sure though if my Denon has enough power to drive my 804's or how it compares in real sound difference to these other integrated amplifiers.

My hesitation is that I go ahead and spend the money on the new amplifier and get it home and hear no real difference from my current Denon 3805. The Denon 3805 at least on CNET (which I know is not a pure audiophile website) received a good review for sound quality and is rated at 110 watts at 8 ohms. http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-30831156.html

Any thoughts on this?
                    Why not pack your Denon, go to a dealer and compare there? Try to do level matching as good as possible, try to get them on hard to drive speakers (802D ... :B ) and search for the differences. That should get you closer.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                      • May 2005

When I am ready to pull the trigger on a new amplifier I will try to bring my Denon 3805 to the dealer to do an A/B comparison.

I listened to some more CD's today and I found that just temporarily moving my chair closer to the speakers (to form an equilateral triangle) and moving the coffee table between my chair and the speakers improved the soundstage and impact of the music. If/when I do make an upgrade I will definately try to listen to the Krell KAV 400xi and the Musical Fidelity A5 and the Parasound.

By the way Cug, the Musical Fidelity amp and CD player are a very nice looking match! I have been skeptical of the wide variance in sound from choosing different CD players but your opinion on your improved sound from your new Musical Fidelity CD player will lead me to do more comparison listening tests.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

We did a comparison between an MF DAC (3.24 or something) and my Naim CD player - the MF owner was surprised how different they sounded. I was surprised at the additional output and energy of the MF but we did not level match so volume played a part.

Personally I thought the MF energetic and detailed but it sounded like a digital CD - the Naim had a more organic sound - ie more "realistic" and natural, less hard and more musical flow - I'm biased so I prefer the Naim version of musical events despite its far higher price over the second hand DAC - the musical sound is why I went with Naim in the first place.

I should probably define what I mean by musical- To me when you are listening the song makes sense - its easy to read the structure and flow of the song with no effort and it has that X boogie factor that allows you to get lost in the song.

Right now I am really loving the sound my system is producing, regardless of recording quality (and not because of lack of detail, it has bags of detail)
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• cug
                          • Jan 2008

By the way Cug, the Musical Fidelity amp and CD player are a very nice looking match! I have been skeptical of the wide variance in sound from choosing different CD players but your opinion on your improved sound from your new Musical Fidelity CD player will lead me to do more comparison listening tests.
                          It's definitely worth doing comparisons. We got the CD player more or less only because we wanted to move the whole Rotel system to a second room (not set up right now) and to have a matching look (and feel).

We were very surprised by difference in sound when switching between the two setups. And as I had to return the first player and I'm now waiting for the replacement, we found out that the main difference came from the CD player, not the amplifier.

I like the the sound of the A5 better, it seems to be more precise, more open (more high frequencies) but also warmer and more appealing. So we are very happy with our upgrade and decided that this will be the last one for many years. Btw: for me the A5 CD player sounds better than the Classé CDP 102 from my neighbour (in my setup). For him the Classé sounds better. The differences are nearly indistinguishable and may result only from volume differences ...

Comment

• lvhung
                            • Jun 2005

"3808 as processor you lost about over 50 % music is all about". I wish I could take the Krell KAV 400xi or the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp home to compare to my Denon 3805 in my listening room but unfortunately there are no dealers that I know of in Vancouver that offer this to their customers. Of course I can go to the dealer showroom and listen to the different amplifiers but I will not be able to do a direct comparison with my receiver and speakers in my actual room.

From what I have read from some other sources, the speaker is where the biggest difference in sound is going to come from. If the amplifier has enough power to drive the speakers then there should be no significant difference in sound quality from one amplifier (or receiver to another). I am not sure though if my Denon has enough power to drive my 804's or how it compares in real sound difference to these other integrated amplifiers.

Any thoughts on this?
                            Denon is made mainly for HT
                            In music it never sound sweet ;x(
                            I am getting rid of 4802
                            TRy some Anthem or Krell processor if you can afford
                            In my country only Rotel 1069 is within my reach

Comment

• dknightd
                              • Mar 2006

specialized,
                              I'm curious what you ended up doing.
                              I resisted posting because in some ways you are better
                              off than some of us - you can compare the speakers in your house,

Your dealer has been very cooperative - makes paying MSRP
                              worth it in my book.

I ended up buying the 703. To my ears the 804 had a little
                              bit better integration between the mids and highs. On;y you can
                              decide which you like better for the money.

One thing to keep in mind is your room matters ALOT.
                              A few hundred dollars and a little labor in room treatments
                              made more difference to me than an extra $1k in speakers
                              would have made. But that was me, and my room. It may not
                              be the same for you.

IMO the 703 is a great speaker for a stereo setup. It
                              might not be as well suited to multichannel - but that was
                              not a consideration for me. IMO you have go to the D series
                              to get much improvement in the b&w line. If money allowed
                              I'd go for the 802d, if money and space allowed I go for the 800d.
                              But then I'd start all over again and might not end up with b&w at all.

Good luck with your speaker purchase.

p.s. foam plugs should not be needed in the 703 if you can place
                              them properly for your room. But if you can't do this I would not
                              worry about using the plugs. If you decide you need foam plugs don't
                              be afraid to experiment, it could be that different plugs make
                              a difference to you - you do not have to use b&w plugs, sometimes
                              an old sock can work better for you, your placement, and your room.
                              Once you decide on speakers you can continue experiments . . .

Comment

• Mitchell
                                • Sep 2004

I bought speaker stands for my 703's in order to insulate the speakers from the floor and reduce sound to downstairs neighbors.
                                An added beneifit was a significant difference in the bass which became more defined and articulated.
                                Mitchell

Comment

• joetama
                                  • May 2006

What kind of stands did you get for the 703?
                                  -Joe

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Stands?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Me thinks they mean isolating "feet".

Mind you I know a couple of people that have smallish floorstanders on metre high monoliths..........pedestals is probably a more accurate word but it reminds me of toilets.
                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Mitchell
                                        • Sep 2004

These were made by a company called Soundanchors
                                        Speaker Stands from Sound Anchors are the best speaker stands on the market. From speaker floor stands to speaker monitor stands we have your hi-fi home audio and pro studio needs covered.

They are a steel frame that holds the bottom of the speaker and then feet made of two kinds of metals that I believe have different resonant frequencies that are supposed to isolate the speaker from the floor. Its hard to be sure if sound to my downstairs neighbor has been reduced but I immediately heard more articulate bass.
                                        Mitchell

Comment

• specialized
                                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by dknightd
                                          specialized,
                                          I'm curious what you ended up doing.
                                          I resisted posting because in some ways you are better
                                          off than some of us - you can compare the speakers in your house,

Your dealer has been very cooperative - makes paying MSRP
                                          worth it in my book.

I ended up buying the 703. To my ears the 804 had a little
                                          bit better integration between the mids and highs. On;y you can
                                          decide which you like better for the money.

One thing to keep in mind is your room matters ALOT.
                                          A few hundred dollars and a little labor in room treatments
                                          made more difference to me than an extra $1k in speakers
                                          would have made. But that was me, and my room. It may not
                                          be the same for you.

IMO the 703 is a great speaker for a stereo setup. It
                                          might not be as well suited to multichannel - but that was
                                          not a consideration for me. IMO you have go to the D series
                                          to get much improvement in the b&w line. If money allowed
                                          I'd go for the 802d, if money and space allowed I go for the 800d.
                                          But then I'd start all over again and might not end up with b&w at all.

Good luck with your speaker purchase.

p.s. foam plugs should not be needed in the 703 if you can place
                                          them properly for your room. But if you can't do this I would not
                                          worry about using the plugs. If you decide you need foam plugs don't
                                          be afraid to experiment, it could be that different plugs make
                                          a difference to you - you do not have to use b&w plugs, sometimes
                                          an old sock can work better for you, your placement, and your room.
                                          Once you decide on speakers you can continue experiments . . .

I like u'r reply a lot, and i havent answer becouse i wanted to reply to u with open mind .

Between 703 and 804s i decided to go for 703.

804's have very impressive tight bass which i like a lot, it's definitly have a tighther sound then 703, but i miss kick and sound stage from 703. 804's Have very good image but there is not depth, it's like im on concert in the last row, and 703 make me feeling like concert is in my room.

I dont like on 703 boomines in bass (im sure it's my room, and with positioning i can improve this) (on 804's i have chance to play with positioning and i upgrade the soundstage and improved the bass, so i'm sure it would be on 703 like that as well). Still i'm not sure if 703 it's too big for my room, i put them on order, but i still have days to replace my order. Also im worry becouse there is no matching center for 703.

I have at home in this moment 705, which i like a lot and in same moment i hate them so much. Depend from song from song. Very detailed, nice image, but too harsh and there is no depth.. Sometimes they feel very uncomfortable. This model make me want to try 805s as well, so i just get them as well. I can say that the final fight would be 805s vs 703.

Im listening 805 for a few hours and until now, i found that they have the best imaging i ever heard, there is not that big soundstage as 703 (in depth), but seem that they are more accurate left/right positioning. Still they are better sounding then 804 (maybe 804 need better amp then Rotel 1080) overal, but still i miss 804s very tight and fast bass.

So what do u think for my room i would miss with 703 compared to 805s?
                                          So what do u think for my room i would miss on 805s compared to 703?

I like 805 also becouse form just a little more money, i'm getting perfectly matched center.

For rears i ordered CM1. (in both situation 703 or 805 in front)..

Greetings

Darko

p.s. And i'm attachihg pictures of my room.. In the middle would be some carpeting (not so big, and a small table).. On the windows there would be some totaly minimalist covering (not thick things). I think now u'll have better idea about my room.. And to be able to give help to choose, 703 or 805s (this is final decision).
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by specialized; 09 May 2008, 17:24 Friday.

Comment

• joetama
                                            • May 2006

Unless you are going to have a center positioned sub or stereo subs you are going to miss the 703 & 804 when listening to the 805 & especially the 705.
                                            -Joe

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                              • Apr 2007

703, this was my choice :T .

The 703 more are balanced than the 804 and still it costs little.
                                              "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• cug
                                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Luke Skywalker
                                                The 703 more are balanced than the 804 and still it costs little.
                                                You should add "for my taste". For my taste the 804S is far superior to the 703 and I had no problem spending a bit more.

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                  • Apr 2007

It is clearly that I speak for me, did not think?

Every one speaks for itself.

What he would be of the yellow if all liked blue?

:T

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• cug
                                                    • Jan 2008

Yeah, I know that, but if you state "The xy is more balanced than the yz" this sounds like a statement as in "5 is bigger than 4". And too many people can't distinguish between facts and impressions / taste. Nothing that should be supported even more.

Comment

• joetama
                                                      • May 2006

But sometimes 4 is bigger than 5.

If I have 4 Semi Trucks and 5 compact cars.
                                                      -Joe

Comment

• dknightd
                                                        • Mar 2006

Can you move your TV up a bit? If so, perhaps you can use three 703 across front.
                                                        If you move the speakers away from the wall more, then bass boominess should reduce.
                                                        Do you listen from the couch or the recliner? If you listen from the couch, and can move it away from the back wall, this might also help boom.

Comment

• joetama
                                                          • May 2006

If B&W ever comes out witht he CT 7.3 you could try it as your center channel...:roll:
                                                          -Joe

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                            • Apr 2007

We do not have to look at the price of 804s isolated. We must remember the used electronics, RB-1080. For 703, beauty, for 804s leaves to desire. One up pulls the others.

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• specialized
                                                              • Apr 2008

Can you move your TV up a bit? If so, perhaps you can use three 703 across front.
                                                              If you move the speakers away from the wall more, then bass boominess should reduce.
                                                              Do you listen from the couch or the recliner? If you listen from the couch, and can move it away from the back wall, this might also help boom.

TV is centered eye level in the middle of TV. So if i put it higher (enough to be able put 703 as center), it would be too high, and i'll get a numb neck
                                                              TV is located about 4 - 4.5 meters from the couch. Another problem is that it's not possible to buy only one 703.
                                                              When i seriosly hear the music i'm listening from the couch (there is the center position between speakers, so i'm getting the best imaging), and when i just want to listen while i read (or write on this forum ), i'm using recliner, or another peace. The position in the center of couch, is about 4 -4.5 meters from the speakers. I can go with couch maybe 20-30 cm in the front.

So do think 703 are not too big for this room size (Seem that my room is like medium sized?) ?

Do u think 805 are too small for this room size? With 703 i'm not using sub in stereo listening.. With 805 sometimes i have to use the sub (in this moment i'm using Mordaunt Short Avanti 309i, which would be upgraded for B&W 610XP or PV1). When i use Sub for listening music i have to set DENON 3808 in Stereo mode (in Pure Audio mode seem that sub is not working). So becouse im using stereo and not Pure Audio that maybe i get some equalisation and coloration from Denon?

Darko

Comment

• dknightd
                                                                • Mar 2006

I think either 703 or 805 will be fine in that room.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

I think either 703 or 805 will be fine in that room.
                                                                  805 are much nicer than 703 and with a good sub JL Audio Fathom F110 you should have a great time.
                                                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• specialized
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                    805 are much nicer than 703 and with a good sub JL Audio Fathom F110 you should have a great time.

Can u describe u'r opinion more detailed please? Did u listen both speakers?

Pros/Cons?

Darko

Comment

• dknightd
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

In case you have not seen them, there have been a couple of threads lately about 703 vs 805

Comment

• specialized
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2008

Thank u..

Darko

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by specialized
                                                                          Can u describe u'r opinion more detailed please? Did u listen both speakers? Pros/Cons? Darko
                                                                          805 are more detailed some say clinical but I think very revealing. I have alway like monitor speakers who do very well in high and mids. If I want bass I get a super sub. JLAudio Fathom F113 Even with my system (3) 802Ds and (2) 802S
                                                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• specialized
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2008
                                                                            • 332

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                            805 are more detailed some say clinical but I think very revealing. I have alway like monitor speakers who do very well in high and mids. If I want bass I get a super sub. JLAudio Fathom F113 Even with my system (3) 802Ds and (2) 802S

Hmmm Strange, becouse i have same feeling about 703.. I remember them as most detailed and sometimes without emotion.. Anyway, i had a chance yesterday to compare 805s against 804s Connected on McIntosh.
                                                                            I want to check them A/B and on nice amp, becouse many peoples said that 804 s need a lot of power and that Rotel 1080 is not enough.. What me and my gf conclude?

805s are more clear then 804. Soundstage on 805 is bigger then 804. 805 are more forward then 804.. But there is not power enough sometimes with 805s. Let's say when drum hit, or when string from guitar i hard pushed, there is not that energy.. I wonder if i get a Sub PV1+805s, is that combination more powerfull when there is power needed then 703 or 804? Or the power come with volume of box? I dont talk about loud listening, i'm taling about power of some of the instruments...

Darko

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2007
                                                                              • 309

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by specialized
                                                                              Hmmm Strange, becouse i have same feeling about 703.. I remember them as most detailed and sometimes without emotion.. Anyway, i had a chance yesterday to compare 805s against 804s Connected on McIntosh.
                                                                              I want to check them A/B and on nice amp, becouse many peoples said that 804 s need a lot of power and that Rotel 1080 is not enough.. What me and my gf conclude?

805s are more clear then 804. Soundstage on 805 is bigger then 804. 805 are more forward then 804.. But there is not power enough sometimes with 805s. Let's say when drum hit, or when string from guitar i hard pushed, there is not that energy.. I wonder if i get a Sub PV1+805s, is that combination more powerfull when there is power needed then 703 or 804? Or the power come with volume of box? I dont talk about loud listening, i'm taling about power of some of the instruments...

Darko
                                                                              I'm curious on this as well.. will adding good powerful subs to the 805S give it that umph needed?

Comment

• specialized
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2008
                                                                                • 332

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by jjahshik32
                                                                                I'm curious on this as well.. will adding good powerful subs to the 805S give it that umph needed?

I have read this old thread . At the end i picked B&W 803s , HTM3S, 805S.

I replaced Denon As preamp with McIntosh C2300. Then i replaced C2300 and Rotel RCD-1072 with Benchmark DAC1 Pre, and i replaced Rotel RB-1080 with Krell FPB-300C

When i think that i wanted to get just 683 and that's it , and that Rotel would be last amp in next 10 years At least i was thinking like that in that time..

Greetings

Darko

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"