X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fcc
    • Jul 2005

CM Series Discontinued - What Else ?

I don't see much info in the CM series but the thing is the wife!! You know the story, clean lines their just the right size & all that. Anyway I could swing the 700 series if I really want but then I loose points plus grand kids tweaking the tweaters & what else.

I asked my local dealer about CMs being discontinued & he said they would be. I was offered floor model CM4s plus center channel for $1600.00 which is a discount off the $2050.00 list (1500 for pair of CM4 + 550 center). It seems I have seen these on the floor for awhile (2-3 years is a guess).

Question: Is it a deal or do I pass.

Question: Could I use 600 series as back speakers for surround sound.
    I am not into HT but this is where I get points form the wife & her ear is dead to the world but I don't want to spend the bucks & notice the 600s so much I regret the purchase.

Thank you for your time, CC
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

The 700 series has tweeters partially in the box... enough so that they can't really be "tweaked."

700 series really isn't that much bigger.. they have nice lines too. If size is an issue, honestly, I woud rather have 5 705's than the CM4 front and CM2 rear and CMC center (the CMC center just doesn't have the properly driver alignment for proper center speaker performance). CM6 does offer the FST but at that price, you might as well get the 703 with FST. The 705's are that good for a small speaker. I'd rather have quality than quantity. Add a REL Strata III and you're rocking.

$1600 for demos isn't really that great a deal... considering they are being discontinued and will instantly lose a lot of value once discontinued.

Back to your question though... 600 as rears would be ok. It's important to at least match all the front speakers/amps and the rear speakers/amps if all 5 cannot be matched.

Originally posted by Fcc
    I don't see much info in the CM series but the thing is the wife!! You know the story, clean lines their just the right size & all that. Anyway I could swing the 700 series if I really want but then I loose points plus grand kids tweaking the tweaters & what else.

I asked my local dealer about CMs being discontinued & he said they would be. I was offered floor model CM4s plus center channel for $1600.00 which is a discount off the $2050.00 list (1500 for pair of CM4 + 550 center). It seems I have seen these on the floor for awhile (2-3 years is a guess).

Question: Is it a deal or do I pass.

Question: Could I use 600 series as back speakers for surround sound.
    I am not into HT but this is where I get points form the wife & her ear is dead to the world but I don't want to spend the bucks & notice the 600s so much I regret the purchase.

Thank you for your time, CC

Comment

• KvHagedorn
      • Jul 2005

The CM series was a favorite of mine, since we do lots of custom and they were a good quality option to put in people's custom cabinetry, especially if the space for the center was small (as is often the case.) It's kinda a waste to put the 705s in there and box them in..

The CM4/CMC combination does pretty well with a 601 or somesuch in the rear.. we have actually done several setups with CM series across the front and CCM65 or CWM650 as rear channels and these sounded great. Perfect alternative for that wife who thought she wanted some micro-cube system. If you can't get a CM Center, I'd recommend the SPL1200R Velodyne sub. I have an older, non-remote version, and it makes a good match.

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        The CM series was a favorite of mine, since we do lots of custom and they were a good quality option to put in people's custom cabinetry, especially if the space for the center was small (as is often the case.) It's kinda a waste to put the 705s in there and box them in..

The CM4/CMC combination does pretty well with a 601 or somesuch in the rear.. we have actually done several setups with CM series across the front and CCM65 or CWM650 as rear channels and these sounded great. Perfect alternative for that wife who thought she wanted some micro-cube system. If you can't get a CM Center, I'd recommend the SPL1200R Velodyne sub. I have an older, non-remote version, and it makes a good match.
        Well, they ARE very nice looking . I'll give the CM series that. The aluminum plates on the veneers are a nice modern touch... but for people that put sound first, they leave a little to be desired compared to the 700 series. The center on the CM series has the mid and woofer to the sides of the tweeter, which causes interference problems. The best configuration is tweeter on top and mid below it with woofers on either side... that being said, the center for the 700 series (HTM7) is big and thus where space is at a premium and sound quality isn't the number 1 criteria, then yeah, the CMC works.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"