X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OakIris
    • Dec 2003

Subwoofer recommendations for CM4, CMC speakers

Hello - currently I am using a Velodyne CHT-8 sub with my set up, but would like to get a better, more musical subwoofer. My mains and center speakers are all B&Ws, as shown in the post title; my rears are Infinity Alpha 20s (all I could afford at the time!) My system is currently hooked into a Rotel RSX1055; I will be adding a Rotel RMB1075 power amplifier, but this really has nothing to do with the sub, as the receiver will still power the sub.

What subs are recommended for B&W speakers? (And the option of having a maple finish is a plus. :roll: ) My budget is somewhat limited - <$1000 (Used is fine, too.)
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

REL Strata III - used on Audiogon for $1000 or less all the time. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

• OakIris
      • Dec 2003

Thanks, jlee. I have read good things about the REL subs but they seem to be hard to find. There is only one place in the USA (that I can find, anyway,) www.sumikoaudio.net - that sells them new, and Sumiko doesn't have the Strata model, and, there are no Stratas for sale on Audiogon right now, just some of the more expensive REL models.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Any Sub from SVS (www.svsubwoofers.com). They cost less than just about any other sub (for the performance). So that's tough to beat at any price and will blend seemlessly with your speakers.

I have the PC+ 20-39 matched up with my DM604s...in a sweep played from either (well all 7.1 channels) you cannot tell where the speaker stops playing and the sub picks up...I love having that. Plus I like that it's not boomy at all, so it makes it seem quiet until called for. Then wow...watch out.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• OakIris
          • Dec 2003

PewterTa - SVS subs are also highly recommended by a lot of people. Are they also musical, as well as providing great bass for movies?

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

I think with the SVS properly placed, setup'ed, and EQed it can be very ear-pleasing. But with alot of odd shaped living rooms, like mine, it's harder to do so. The PB12plus/2 is a really noticeble beast, I can find the best spot for it acoustically, but not aesthetically. They do make smaller options also, but you're sacrificing a little bit of raw power for the smaller ones. I do not have much experiences with subs, other than the one that I have. I've heard the B&W PV1 in person and are very impressed with the bass for its size. Very clean and fast bass, but just lacks the lower end authority that my SVS bring. They go for around $1500 MSRP, so might be a little out of your budget. If you want more performance, like others said, look for REL stuff on Audiogon. If you have the patience, they'll show up from time to time. I see them on there all the time, but usually the higher-priced ones.

Comment

• alkalay
              • Jun 2004

How about a B&amp;W ASW 675 or CM

Hi OakIris,

My system consists of CM4's,LCR 60 S3 and 303 as rears.
              I chose the B&W ASW 675, I guess the ASW CM should sound the same but it's more $.
              Try and take a 675 for a home audition...

Itai.
              Last edited by alkalay; 17 February 2005, 04:36 Thursday. Reason: typo

Comment

• OakIris
                • Dec 2003

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I ended up going a different direction than any of the recommendations. 8O I just purchased a Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer in curly maple: http://www.av123.com/products_produc...rs&product=1.1 It doesn't have the really low frequency for HT that many folks prefer, but it is reputed to be very musical and I think it will do the trick for me. Besides which, the company is located about 10 minutes from where I live and I will be picking up my new sub tomorrow.

Comment

• alkalay
                  • Jun 2004

Congrats OakIris, enjoy the new .1 addition.

BTW, have you heard your CM4's connected to a 1075 ...?

Itai.

Comment

• OakIris
                    • Dec 2003

Itai - no, I have not heard the CM4s with the 1075. I have been using them with the RSX1055 for about a year now. I will be purchasing the RMB 1075 on Saturday, I hope, from my local dealer.

I'm pretty excited about all of this - and not yet suffering from buyer's remorse after my sudden attack of upgraditus!

Holly

Comment

• springer49
                      • Oct 2004

OakIris, Hopefully you have picked up your new toy by now. Once you have had a chance to hook it up and play with it for a while maybe you could give us a reveiw. I am looking for a sub now and would like to get your opinion on the rocket.

Comment

• OakIris
                        • Dec 2003

I will be picking up my sub this afternoon, and hope to get it hooked up this weekend - even went out and purchased a Rat Shack SPL meter today so that I can (I hope) set things up right.

I would be happy to give small (amateur!) review once I have everything working. I'm wondering if there is a specific place for such a review here on HT Guide. The mods will not allow a review of non-B&W equipment in the B&W forum.

Comment

• springer49
                          • Oct 2004

How about posting your reveiw in the Audio Hideout. I will be looking for it.

Comment

• OakIris
                            • Dec 2003

I'll give it a try, springer49. I did not complete the subwoofer set up this weekend, but should get it done later this week.

Holly

Comment

• hery
                              • Mar 2003

BTW, have you heard your CM4's connected to a 1075 ...?

Itai.[/QUOTE]

Great combo the 1075 with CM 4's :T There hooked up to a RSX-1055

Comment

• alkalay
                                • Jun 2004

Indeed hery a great combo.

The CM4's seem to gain a LOT being fed by the 1075. It does make me wonder though, what will they sound like with the 1080.
                                Oh no, no no no!

Itai.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"