X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasbwfan
    • Sep 2005

805S w/ ASW825 or 804S?

Question,

I'm about to pull the trigger on another speaker purchase. My current system consists of the following:

(2)805s
    HTM3S
    ASW825

I'm undecided on which direction I will go next. Should I buy a second set of 805S and a second ASW825 or should I buy a pair of 804S? In my personal opinion, the 805S matched with the ASW825 is an amazing combination. I'm very tempted to go ahead and experience dual sub nirvana. ;-) Would I be missing anything going this route? My only hesitation is the fact that the 804S would in theory sound better for HT matched with my HTM3S. My main focus is music but I do enjoy a good movie from time to time.

My electronics will be upgraded next, for now I'm driving my speakers with a Pioneer Elite 74txvi receiver. I will upgrade to a McIntosh 2 or 5 channel amp in the next 6-8 months (still researching). Any input / guidance anyone can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    texasbwfan
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Don't take it the wrong way, but please do a search. There have been numerous threads started in the past few weeks regarding 804 vs 805. You might find a lot of helpful answers there.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• texasbwfan
      • Sep 2005

Agreed, but the previous posts do not ask for opinions specific to 805S and ASW825 vs. 804S. I thought creating a post specific to my application was best. Thanks.
      texasbwfan

Comment

• AptosJeff
        • Jul 2006

texasbwfan,
        My 2 cents is posted as #22 in the thread "B&W 805S or 804S?"
        Jeff

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

Even with a good sub, the 805 is not going to be equal to the 804 because it doesn't have the FST driver. So midrange sounds thinner with the 805 than the 804. I have N805s with a velo sub in my HT setup and I very much enjoy it. I also have N804s coupled with a Rel sub for two-channel. The 804s just give you more of everything compared to the 805s-soundstage, depth of music and naturalness.

Comment

• texasbwfan
            • Sep 2005

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I was hoping to hear that dual ASW825's with 805S for L/R would exceed the capibilities of the 804 or quite possibly...the 803. I have contacted my dealer and will be comparing my options this Saturday.

I'm a bass fanatic and want to make sure I make the right buying decision. I would hate to go the 804 or 803 route and find myself missing the bass I enjoy in my system today with the 805S/ASW825 combo. From what I've seen on this forum, it appears as though most people enjoy listening to stereo in true two channel without the involvement of a sub. I for one thoroughly enjoy the 825 in two channel use...paired with the 805's...it's absolute necessity.

I guess it all comes down to my own personal preference. Thanks again.
            texasbwfan

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Texas,

For bass the 805 825 combination will exceed the 804S and 803S... The 804S advantage is in the midrange with the FST driver providing greater clarity. However IMO you need to look at the 802D and up to approach the bass levels that the 825 will deliver... So if you are a bass fanatic then I think you will loke the 825 805 combinaiton. We had many fans od the older N805s with subwoofers for the same reason...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"