X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

McIntosh Amps with 802D's

I'm considering the McIntosh MC501 mono amps with 802D's for my home theatre. I'll listen to two channel stereo at least twice as much as I watch movies. The 501's are 500 watts continuous power. I currently have a two channel, 200 watt amp and a 5 channel 200 watt amp that I could use for the center channel (HTM2D), a 750 sub and SCM1 rears. Any thoughts about this setup? What would be the best way to match amps and speakers?
  • fatcat
    • Feb 2005

I am also considering upgrading to McIntosh MC501 mono amps with 802D's/HTM2D. I currently use the McIntosh 207 (7 x 200 watts rated, but closer to 300 watts in reality) with four 703s + center.

Overall, I believe McIntosh and B&W make a great combo, but have been unable to A/B with Classe amps. I'm not as impressed with Krell's offerings.

Is anyone using the 802D with McIntosh MC501s? Or has anyone compared side-by-side with similar quality amps? I also wonder how much of a difference the MC501s will make over the 207...

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

I'm also thinking about an MX-135 from .McIntosh with two mono blocks 501 for my new 800D but I asked my dealer to test them.It ill be difficult to have the set for a test here in Belgium.I heard the new Classe Ca-M400 and it sounds very good altough I don't like the idea of their new processor on which it's impossible to change treble or bass, compared with the Mac pre you can.

Comment

• johan
        • Dec 2004

You really shouldn't need to fiddle with the tone controls with a system like that Jericho.

Comment

• jericho
          • Dec 2004

OK but Krell add tone control on their HT processor, McIntosh does, Parasound does and Classé does not!Do they have a special reason or are the others just there for the show

Comment

• fatcat
            • Feb 2005

Mx-135

I have the McIntosh MX-135 as well as the MX-119 (same machine with less ins/outs), and do occasionally find the tone controls helpful.

Obviously there should be no need most of the time, but the reality is that some recordings (or some situations depending on what other sensitive ears are around) benefit from temporary adjustment. The feature is a plus, as long as it's implemented properly.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

You should never have to alter the content of the musc the artist intended for you to hear. I know some recording to mastering processes are poorer than others and the tonal controls are used to compensate for this. However, this often makes things worse not better and therefore they should not be used. Especially on high end systems such as these.

Most manufacturers include these features for marketing purposes only, not because they are necessary but because people expect them to be there. Classe' actually has the guts to do it right, and I admire them for this.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

What is not to like about Krell's offerings???

The others are great amps too. Just wondering....
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"