X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

New McIntosh A/V Processor vs Classe-SSP800

I am currently wanting to upgrade my system and was presented with a choice of purchasing the new McIntosh a/v processor which will be released next month and have all the latest specs or the Classe SSP-800. The Classe will cost about 3M more. However, I was told the McIntosh could be more compatible with my current system which also contains McIntosh amps (MC501). Is there any benefit to keeping my processor and amps the same make (McIntosh) or would the Classe be a better choice as a higher end processor?

Thanks for your help.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Surely you know its all down to aesthetics, an SSP-800 would simply look out of place. On a more serious note, I know nothing about McIntosh's new processor, but I would imagine its been extensively tested with McIntosh amps, and is thus true to the McIntosh sound. On the other hand, the SSP-800 is one of the finest processors available, and will work quite happily with any amp. Having a chance to audition both would obviously be the answer.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Not being sure which new McIntosh you are ref to, then answering may be a bit difficult... BUT as I recall it all the Mc's use RoomPerfect for setup. That would be a big difference between the two processors.

Do you have a link to more info on the new Mc?

Comment

• Tweir
        • Oct 2006

Link to the new McIntosh MX-121,MC8207,MVP891

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

more info here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...-vs-mx121.html

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Well, if your gonna go Mac, go MAC. Otherwise, go home.

The one situation where it may not matter looks wise as much? you put your components in a closet, or the amps are located at speakers, and not seen with other components anyway.

Also, size of amp/s are they floor amps or rack amp? That would help make a decision for Mac looks wise too. Myself, I don't so much let looks get into my system, but I don't do Mac either. I like them ok, but went down Proceed/Levinson road.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

stockinv,

I believe in system synergy. Speakers, primary electronics (pre-amp and amps), etc. I've seen over the years that this approach works.

I would definitely consider waiting until next month to find out more about the MX-121 (this is the new Mac pre-amp about to launch).

I also agree about the visual conponent. Keep Mac pieces together, they look real good. The Classe, while a very good unit, just looks so different.

I currently havwe the MX-120 pre-amp. I am working on getting the new MX-121 in a couple of months.

What is your current processor?

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                • Oct 2007

The spec sounds like a top of the range Denon...

Comment

• hardy
                  • May 2010

hi everybody,

I change my system from Classé to Mcintosh last month.
                  It was the decision I`ve done the last two years. The Mcintosh amps
                  works perfectly with the B&W Diomond series.

Old System:
                  SSP-800, 4 x CA-M600, CA-5300
                  New System:
                  MX-150, 4 x MC-601, MC-205
                  Speakers:
                  800 Diamond, HTM2Diamond, DB1, 4 x SCMs

Hardy

Comment

• Skyblue
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by hardy
                    hi everybody,

Old System:
                    New System:
                    Speakers:

Hardy
                    Not bad either. Can you describe the differences?
                    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by hardy
                      hi everybody,

Old System:
                      New System:
                      Speakers:

Hardy
                      That's quite the change over. What made you do a complete 360 on changing?

I'd also like to know where you heard the difference.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hi hardy,

change at 360° degree!

The preampli work so difference vs. the SSP? or are the Mcintosh ampli that like you more as the Classe?

thanks Style

Comment

• hardy
                          • May 2010

My english is not so good, but i try to explain. I hope you can understand what I mean.
                          The main cause to change was the "hum" problem, I reported in another thread. Classe shows me no way to solve the problem.
                          It was not nice to listen music not much loud and the the amplifers starts humming.
                          So I ask my dealer, if i can try a McIntosh system.
                          The first we did, was testing the MC-601 against the CA-M600.
                          after changing them, it was a total different sound. Te classe Amps played more - i would say technical. there were much more hights and the mids are very present.
                          The MC-601 was very much "Harmonic" in german we say rounder and warmer. The stage was much deeper and the positions on the musicians were more detailed.also the bass was very much more present.

But the best was, there was no hum ;x( ;x(

After that session I talked to my dealer and the result of that was, to change the hole System to McIntosh. At that point I had not heared the MX-150.

So one week Later they visited me again and changed the hole system.

After 2 days of testing, measuring and phoning with McIntosh tecnicans in Germany and the US I was very surprised about the system. It sounds very good without measurment but after that it was fantastic. The room-perfect of the MX-150 works perfect for Stereo and for surround. and you have much more possibilities to have an effect on the sound than you have with the SSP-800.

For me, and that is my personal, subjective opinion, it was the absolut right decision to change the system.
                          Since I have done it I have much more fun to hear music or to look a good film or a music-DVD

Hardy

@style

I live near bale. If you are interested you can visit me to hear .

Comment

• dan87951
                            • Nov 2005

Great choice MAC makes some great equipment!
                            dan87951
                            audio guru

Comment

• mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dan87951
                              Great choice MAC makes some great equipment!
                              yeah, and Mac gear isn't made in China either! :rofl:
                              - Mike

Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• slauten
                                • Aug 2011

Throwing my 2 cents worth on this topic. A lot has been discussed about Classe now being "assembled" in China. So far that has not been an issue for me. My SSP-800 and CP-800 both work extremely well with no issues. While being assembled in China is not my 1st choice. So far I don't see where there has been any negative impact. It's still my opinion that the vast majority of components that go inside all high end audio/video gear is made overseas. It may be assembled in America, but the guts are not made in America. At the end of the day all that really matters is how well does it work? Is it reliable and perform as designed?

I also have been impressed with Classe being able to upgrade components to stay current with 3D/HDMI 1.4. I'm hopeful that going forward that Classe is able to offer additional upgrades as needed. I see a lot of whining by McIntosh owners of the MX-150 and how no firmware upgrades have come out and it may be obsolete with the new MX-121 coming out. At this point it appears Classe decision to have only the SSP-800 is a good decision. Only time will tell.

I also wanted to mention that I was recently in the market for a CA-5200 amp to match up with my CAM-400 for my main speakers. I have a CA-5100 currently. It does a great job but I wanted a power reserve for my center and surround channels. I felt a CA-5300 was overkill and over my budget. I felt the CA-5200 was the right amp but I have not seen any CA-5200 for sales on Audigon or anywhere else lately. I had one of the Classe dealers I work with check to see if Classe had any old stock? I was told yes they have 1 left, and it was a very fair price. Found out later that the yes answer was partly right. Found out it was a reflection of the parts they had in stock, and they built me a new amp in Canada! Got it this week. Will hook up this weekend.

One thing I really like about the newer SSP and CP Delta series is the ability to link all Classe products together and see actual temperatures of the amps, faults (have not had any yet), along with other info provided via CAN Bus. Does McIntosh offer that?

I'm happy that hardy was able to resolve his hum issues by using McIntosh gear. I also agree that going completely McIntosh also makes sense, no point in mixing and matching if you don't have to.

I also bought a Marantz UD-9004 this summer. I looked at Denon, Marantz and McIntosh and a few other universal players. I settled on the Marantz because of it's great reviews, and I found it on sale for 1/2 the price of the Mac. So far it's performance has also been stellar. No doubt the Marantz is not nearly as sexy as the Mac but it does have solid copper shielding!

See Ya,

Steve

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

As long as Classe (and B&W) will continue to offer their stellar service and support, and of course also their great products, they will be getting my business.
                                  Really, really impressed with all the first class support they have given me over many years as a customer.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Yes outstanding customer service :T

I would no mind try tube amps
                                    Last edited by wettou; 23 July 2012, 10:58 Monday.
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dan87951
                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                                      yeah, and Mac gear isn't made in China either! :rofl:
                                      No doubt! Seems crazy to spend that kind of cash and have a big "Made in China" sticker on it! Imagine if Porsche or Aston Martin moved final assembly to China.. what do you think that would do to image?

I had a bad experience with a Classe amp and will NEVER buy there products again! The Classe amp I had failed right out of warranty and Classe wanted me to pay over a grand just to have them "look at it". I gladly took my business to McIntosh (dealer even took my classe paperweight as trade) and glad I did! The quality of Mac gear is in a whole another stratosphere in my opinion compared to Classe.
                                      dan87951
                                      audio guru

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

I've seen MAC fail as easily as Classe... and the only thing MAC has is it's ASSEMBLED in USA... the parts are still from all over the place.... Being Assembled in China has nothing to do with B&W Groups (figured I'd cover B&W & Rotel) quality... the factory over there is completely controlled by B&W Group and everything goes through the same Q/A as it did when it was built in England. All they did was save money... which allows for them to not increase the price of the products like they would've otherwise.

Sound quality wise... I really think MAC & Classe are sort of opposites of what you like, detailed and refined is classe, MAC is warm and robust. Both are pretty neutral I would say.
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• dan87951
                                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                          I've seen MAC fail as easily as Classe... and the only thing MAC has is it's ASSEMBLED in USA... the parts are still from all over the place.... Being Assembled in China has nothing to do with B&W Groups (figured I'd cover B&W & Rotel) quality... the factory over there is completely controlled by B&W Group and everything goes through the same Q/A as it did when it was built in England. All they did was save money... which allows for them to not increase the price of the products like they would've otherwise.

Sound quality wise... I really think MAC & Classe are sort of opposites of what you like, detailed and refined is classe, MAC is warm and robust. Both are pretty neutral I would say.
                                          Even I have noticed some quality issues with B&W speakers that have moved over to china. I have had lots of CM series speakers with loose binding posts right out of the box. In my opinion.. how Classe treated me was uncalled for. Yes, the unit was out of warranty but just barely and for me to foot a 1k bill for them to just look at it seemed crazy. Classe obviously felt I was not important enough as a customer which is fine so I moved on. Sure anything can fail but its the service and how you handle the problems after the sale that really show what a company is made of!

As for Mac, below is an email I sent last year inquiring about where their parts come from. I think the below email speaks volumes about the brand and what is important to them! I'm sold for life.

"Hi Dan,
                                          We use USA made raw steel, Glass, transformer laminations and magnet wire, raw Circuit boards and build the units from ground up right here in Binghamton. Some internal parts like Resistors and transistors and stuff are not made in the USA anymore and we do import those parts. We also pack the units in USA made cardboard from the Binghamton Box company.

I would assert that McIntosh has the highest percentage of in-house build and USA parts of any audio company, possibly of any product at all, we are a greater percentage of USA parts than Harley-Davidson, Ford, or any other American company I can think of.

The video link on our home page may give more insight to this.

Chuck Hinton of McIntosh & Snell Tech Support"

PewterTA I think that email proves that Mac gear is a lot more than just "assembled in the USA".
                                          Last edited by dan87951; 04 January 2013, 19:58 Friday.
                                          dan87951
                                          audio guru

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
                                            Even I have noticed some quality issues with B&W speakers that have moved over to china. I have had lots of CM series speakers with loose binding posts right out of the box. In my opinion.. how Classe treated me was uncalled for. Yes, the unit was out of warranty but just barely and for me to foot a 1k bill for them to just look at it seemed crazy. Classe obviously felt I was not important enough as a customer which is fine so I moved on. Sure anything can fail but its the service and how you handle the problems after the sale that really show what a company is made of!

As for Mac, below is an email I sent last year inquiring about where their parts come from. I think the below email speaks volumes about the brand and what is important to them! I'm sold for life.

"Hi Dan,
                                            We use USA made raw steel, Glass, transformer laminations and magnet wire, raw Circuit boards and build the units from ground up right here in Binghamton. Some internal parts like Resistors and transistors and stuff are not made in the USA anymore and we do import those parts. We also pack the units in USA made cardboard from the Binghamton Box company.

I would assert that McIntosh has the highest percentage of in-house build and USA parts of any audio company, possibly of any product at all, we are a greater percentage of USA parts than Harley-Davidson, Ford, or any other American company I can think of.

The video link on our home page may give more insight to this.

Chuck Hinton of McIntosh & Snell Tech Support"

PewterTA I think that email proves that Mac gear is a lot more than just "assembled in the USA".
                                            That's an excellent post and response from McIntosh. It's nice to see an old line quality manufacturer still doing things the right way in the USA!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"