X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jteoh1
    • Jan 2005

B&W N802s and McIntosh Amps

I'm looking some opinion on a good amp to drive N802s.

I'm upgrading my Denon 5803 receiver 2 front channels to a separate amp. So far, I have brought home the following amps for evaluation:
    • Bryston 4B SST - Good details, mid is too forward sounding, lacks bass at low volume.
    • Sunfire Signature 600 - Overly warm, lacks details in mid and high frequency response.
    • Rotel RB1090 - Reasonable details. Grainy. Lacks bass response at low volume. High is harsh.
    • Denon 5803 - Lacks power to drive 802s. Sounds distorted at times. Bi-amp the fronts with its Zone2 channels improve the bass but the overall sound reproduction is noisy.
    • Classe 2200 – Too warm and lacks details.

Over the weekend, I evaluated the McIntosh MC402 2-channel amp (400wpc) at home and was rather impressed with the detail, clarity, airiness, power this amp put out. It drives the 802s effortlessly. The sound stage opens up and extremely wide. The midrange reproduction is smooth, the high frequency is subtle, the lower frequency is a tiny bit mellow but solid when played at low volume.

While I was impressed with the MC402, I was wondering how the MC501 mono blocks and MC602 sound. The dealer didn't have either for me to audition.

The dealer seemed to have an opinion about MC602, the 602 has an older sonic signature whereas 402 and 501 seem to have improved sonic signature. Is this true? He has 2 schools of thought for 501, one is a mono block amp only needs to deliver the current to one channel and tends to charge faster and be ready for use and holds more current. The other thought was since the mono blocks are not cognizant about each other, they don't have the concept of balancing as you would in a stereo amp sharing the same power supply. Has anyone run into any unbalanced issue with 501s?

These observations are well and good, but ultimately all I am after is whether the amp can produce good, clean quality sound.

1) Will MC501 / MC602 sound significantly better than MC402 in my family room layout of 30x25 with 20' 2-story ceiling. Also the family room opens to large kitchen, sun room, foyer and living room? The family room is carpeted but the hall way floor is tiled.

2) How would you rate the bass response of how MC 501 or MC602 compares to MC402 at low volume?

3) MC602 was first released in 1999 and MC501 was in 2003. Is MC602 due to be replaced soon?

4) MC402 list price is $5100, MC501 is $8200 per pair, MC602 is around $8K. is MC 501 or 602 that much better to justify for the cost delta?

5) How is 501 compared to 602?

6) How is 501 compared to Musical Fidelity kW500, Krell FPB amps? The new but not yet release kW750 specs look interesting. Has anyone listened to kW750 in a pilot test yet?

7) Any other amp I should consider around $5 - $8K?

I'm using the Denon 5803 as a temporary pre/pro and will pursue my pre/proc research next.

I appreciate any opinion and/or recommendations you may have.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by jteoh1; 09 March 2005, 12:34 Wednesday.
  • OmegaSpeed
    • Mar 2005

Hi John,

I have read many positive comments about Mac gear with B&W speakers so I believe you are on a right path. BUT, as one who owns the Classe CA-2200 amp you listed above, I find your assesment to be so far from what I experience I have to believe it is do to a possible mismatch. Warm and lacking detail would be the last thing you would think when listening to my system, using S805 speakers. My associated gear is the matching Delta gear, but I have also had a Rowland Synergy IIi pre amp with the CA-2200 also and I wouldn't classify the sound as you have.

Comment

• jteoh1
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by OmegaSpeed
      Hi John,

I have read many positive comments about Mac gear with B&W speakers so I believe you are on a right path. BUT, as one who owns the Classe CA-2200 amp you listed above, I find your assesment to be so far from what I experience I have to believe it is do to a possible mismatch. Warm and lacking detail would be the last thing you would think when listening to my system, using S805 speakers. My associated gear is the matching Delta gear, but I have also had a Rowland Synergy IIi pre amp with the CA-2200 also and I wouldn't classify the sound as you have.
      Thanks for your input OmegaSpeed... I listened to Classe 2200 driving N802s with the matching Classe CP-500 pre-amp and Classe CD Player. I have also heard Classe 200 driving N802s on Ayre Acoustics pre-amp and CD player over the $3000 bi-wire speaker cables. The sound reproduction appeared dull to me in both combinations. I suppose the difference here is that you are using CA-2200 to drive S805 which may be less demanding. Just curious, have you actually listened to CA-2200 with your combination driving N802s?

Thanks,
      John

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
        • Mar 2005

Hi John,

I am very surprised by your results. I have not heard my gear with the N802's, but I have heard the Classe Delta gear, the multi-channel gear-5 channel amp surround processor, with the new 803D's and this also sounded fabulous. I have the 802D's on order and I will be glad to give you my thoughts, but that does not help you in the immediate.

I don't see any reason the CA-2200, and associated Delta gear, would have trouble driving the N802's so forgive my "denial", I don't doubt you heard what you heard, but I question that there is some issue that caused this outside the Classe.

Comment

• JürgenW
          • Jul 2004

Hi John,

Why not giving the Audionet AMP IIGS a try? They sound great with B&W's. I use them with the older Matrix 801 and the sound is fantastic (quiet, sweet, ....: very musically).

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"