X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

McIntosh Amps and PreAmps

Hi guys.

I'm curious about some of McIntosh's Amps and PreAmps. But I know nothing about them. I remember some time ago reading something about how they had a time period there, where they're amps amd Pre Amps where not very good, not up to McIntosh's previous standards.

But also heard that over the last few years, their recent line of gear is once again excellent.

Does anyone know what model of amps and preamps, are good to look for and audition?

I'm thinking of a strictly 2-channel Audio system. Thinking of maybe picking an amp up used, and I want to know which model amps by McIntosh will offer that musical, smooth......warm sound, they have been known for. An amp that does live up to their rep and is very good.
    Tony
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Mac is back and they are every bit as good as they once were. Conjecture was they had a hiccup period when they were acquired but their stuff is a.o.k.

I am not familiar with their models; I am sure others will chime in.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• NMyTree
      • May 2004

Okay.

For instance and just for starters, the McIntosh MC2500 POWER AMP? One of the good ones, or a " hiccup period " model?
      Tony

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

While Mac stuff is pretty, and makes a "statement", (ironically the mac dealer in my town is called "Statement Audio"), You may be able to do better sonically for 2 channel for similar money. I am sure there are pieces ranked higher than MAC for 2 channel.

That said, I've not personally spent time with MAC recently, if ever. So, i will leave it to others that have evaluated the gear to say yeah or ney as to their 2 channel pieces, and the question of if you should consider them at all.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dan Nelson
          • Feb 2005

Mc Intosh is a legend, the look did'nt change for years, the price you can get from it when you resell it is good...
          I played with a C28 preamp in the 70's...I had other brands in the late 80' and 90' and I came back to Mac in 2000. I've an MA6850 integrated amp from them now and I'm happy with it. Other brands mabye sound better. Question of taste. But to me Mac has something magic ... Like for some.... Harley Davidson isn't the best bike...but it's Harley... For Mc Instosh it's the same (at least here in Belgium) . My C28 still works pretty after 30 years...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

I had the MC7300 from the 90's and it was a darling of an amp for music. For movies it was just too warm.

I also had the older MC250 and MC2505 from the 70's... at one time that MC250 pushed a pair of Klipsch La Scala in a nightclub. I sold it in the late 90's for more than it cost brand new.

Definitely a legend... but as others say... I've not had any experience with their newer stuff. I am strictly HT now and McIntosh just never did it for me with HT.

Comment

• Patt
              • Feb 2005

Our local small dealer sells McIntosh Rotel Dynaudio and B&W.

The best I have ever heard is a pair of B&W 803's and a couple hundred watts of McIntosh playing Blue Man Group.
              It was amazing, almost as if the notes of the music were floating around the room. Walking around the speakers I could not detect where the sound was coming from.

That was the best I've heard. Good Luck on your decision's
              ......Pat

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

Thank you for the responses and for sharing your experiences.

Anyone have some other specific models numbers for McIntosh Amps and Pre Amps, which I should keep an eye out for, older or newer? Amps and Pre Amps which fit the description in my first post?
                Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Tony, here's a nice one (a 602) on Audiogon. Now THAT's an amp! :T

Just ignore the $5K asking price.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• NMyTree
                    • May 2004

Thanks frustra........I mean David :wink: :B

I've been making notes of McIntosh Pre Amp and Amp model numbers, and I want to narrow it down to the best one or two models.

The McIntosh is a long term plan, which I will save for over a long period of time.

Currently I'm working on getting the Odyssey Stratos Mono Extremes and the Odyssey Tempest Extreme Pre Amp, to mate with my Wharfedale Opus 2. I also have the Ayre V-5x amp and the Ayre K-5x Pre Amp in my sights, and will give them try.

But I would like to experiment with the McIntosh amps and see how they sound.
                    Tony

Comment

• Jeff
                      • Dec 2004

The MC-402 is very good at $5,100. There is one on Audiogone for $4,000.
                      The 402 is a newer amp currently in production.

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

Today the Wife and I just happened to be in the area of the previously mentioned dealer and as we entered the store it sounded like someone was in there playing a guitar. Well, it sounded live but it turned out to be Mcintosh monoblock's powering the new B&W 803D's.

That makes for one great combo from my brief encounters with B&W. :dudes:
                        ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Mac monoblocks. My my, we are aiming well up the food chain. . . .

Jealous in Houston. :B

Comment

• NMyTree
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by David Meek

LOL :B

Well, I want to try the Macs, but it's down road for sure. With the Odyssey and Ayre amps being a definate in my plans, I'd like to see if I can audition a Mac or two to see how the sounds compare. I already know the Ayre and Odyssey to be good matches with my Opus 2. Now if I get the source components and room acoustics right, I'm sure I'll be a very happy music lover.......no matter what.

I just want to see what sounds the best between Parasound, Ayre, Odyssey and Mac...with the Opus 2. It's bound to be fun listening, comparing and determining. But after that I just want to settle in with my system and enjoy.
                            Tony

Comment

• Patt
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by David Meek

.......yep, I would put those near the very top. Way out of my league and very enjoyable to listen to.
                              ......Pat

Comment

• jteoh1
                                • Jan 2005

Tony,

I know McIntosh is not in your immediate purchase plan, but I think you should at least try to find a local dealer and have a listen or better still bring home the Mc for evaluation and see how it sounds with your Wharfedale.

I recently brought the MC402 home for evaluation and I was amazed how well it drove my N802s. The MC402 is simply marvellous and it makes music comes alive. Suffice to say, I fell in love with it instantly and went ahead and ordered a pair MC501 monoblocks.

FYI, I have recently evaluated other amps including Classe 2200, Bryston 4B SST, Ayre Acoutics amp, Rotel RB1090, and Sunfire Signture 600 amps, in the end I prefer the McIntosh.

Go and have a listen to the Mc, it may change your mind....

Comment

• Bob
                                  • Jul 2000

MAC is back in a big way. Anybody that thinks they know this line because they heard them in the past would be making a mistake not to give them a listen before making any future purchases. Pre amps, amps, CD transports, DACs. I listened to a side to side comparison of a MAC transport and DAC with a DCS stack and the MAC held its' own. That is saying a lot.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                    • May 2004

Bob,

MAC still have the "traditional" MAC sound that they have been known for?
                                    Tony

Comment

• Al Garay
                                      • Jan 2004

Everything else being equal and you can't decide, consider the resale value. We tend to change our minds after a few years. The mac has the larger loyal following.

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                        • May 2004

My Dad picked up a McIntosh MA6900 integrated amp and he absolutely loves it. He uses it to push a pair of Paradigm S4s. I'm fairly new to the hobbie, so I haven't listened to the range of gear that others in the forum have. However, for me, that amp (and the rest of the system) sounds outstanding. I'll admit that I'm jealous of how good it sounds. He had to have one b/c he loved them when he was younger, but never had the means to purchase any of their gear. Sorry I can't provide more help on which models would be good to buy used, but good luck!
                                        Christopher

Comment

• Bob
                                          • Jul 2000

MAC still have the "traditional" MAC sound that they have been known for?
                                          In a word, no. The pre amp and mono blocks I heard were the quietest tube gear that I have ever heard. They totally disappeared, and the speakers I heard them attached to are very, very nuetral reveal any flaws in the upstream. I don't know how much the transport and DAC is but, I liked it more than the DCS stack which is around $40,000. I thought it was as good as almost any analog system that I have heard.

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Bob, I was wondering if you meant the Elgar/Verdi stack but didn't get around to asking. Wow. 8O

Comment

• Bob
                                              • Jul 2000

Yes, I meant the Elgar/Verdi stack. Randy at Optimal Enchantment has it in his store and home. I was more taken with the MAC gear, myself. I was afraid to ask how much it costs for fear that it might almost be affordable.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"