X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatcat
    • Feb 2005

More finish options on new 800 series

How does everyone feel about the finish options of the 800 series? Rosenut is gorgeous but quite difficult to match. Cherry is nice, but if you have dark wood or walnut furniture (as many do), it clashes. Personally, I love the color of walnut and wish the new 800 series came in a walnut veneer. The 700 series walnut finish is very nice... I wonder what it would take for B&W to offer this color on the 800 series as well.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
  • ti33er
    • Apr 2004

I couldn't agree more - I think Walnut (and Maple) is awesome and cannot fathom why it is not an option?

My Dealer said that the light Maple would never be used because it looks grotesque on a large speaker such as the 802 or higher ...I disagree, but who am I to say - it would be nice if B&W could offer the other finishes as special order speakers...perhaps they have to leave some options open for the new Prestige range when it comes out?
    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

I have a feeling the new prestige finish, when it comes out, will be the standard Grey Tigers Eye, or Red Birds Eye. I believe it started with the Silver Signatures, and they carried it over with the Signature 804, HTM, and 800, so I've got to believe they will stick with it when the time comes to release a new signature line.

Comment

• captzerg
        • Dec 2004

This is the exact reason I went with Grey Tigers Eye on my Sig 805's. The cherry is nice, but I have maple furniture in my living room. I didn't want too many colors, nor try to add another color to match. Plus, I like the speakers to "disappear" and not to be "furniture". My components are black for the same general reasons.

Comment

• Rolex
          • Mar 2005

Captzerg, that's interesting. I'm pretty much the exact opposite. I want my stereo to be the center of attention. I owned the Red signatures for that very reason. I also choose silver components whenever possible.

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

hehe I am with you Rolex!

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I am with the both of you too. However, Captzerg does have a good point though if a person wants their system to appear less intrusive. :wink:
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I wish that they had made them in high gloss black. They would have looked really good like that.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ti33er
                  • Apr 2004

mmm like real high quality automotive finishes! Now that would really be something!!

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                    • Mar 2005

I heard they aren't going to have a "Signature" version of the D.

Comment

• ti33er
                      • Apr 2004

Rumour has it that not more than one year ago B&W werent going to be launching the new 800's for a quite some time!? ...I am pretty sure they will have a Signature 805D or something like that? Possibly the new Signatures with a more modern moulding like the futuristic Sea-Shell seeing as they haven't really modded the cabinets yet - look at the likes of Mordaunt-Short etc. lots of speaker manufacturers are migrating toward more futuristic looking cabinets? (hey I could be wrong, but all things change - compare cars designs from only 5 years ago?)

Comment

• fatcat
                        • Feb 2005

High gloss black

Soundgravy -- I'm with you on that too. The 800 series in high-gloss black would look stunning in the same room as a black grand piano.

If any of you also wish for walnut, high-gloss back or other finishes for the 800 series, I would suggest you write to B&W (contact info is on their website). I received a response that they are considering other finish options for the future. Personally, I think walnut would sell very well, and would look fantastic on the whole series.

Comment

• aphexist
                          • Jan 2004

I recently spent some time in the secret Nautilus R&D lair and managed to swipe this prototype diagram. The two new experimental finishes are on the right. Enjoy.

Comment

• JCL
                            • Apr 2005

I'll take the cherry red one please :P Looks great. I just don't like the seconds from the right, It looks like, well, you know that collor... never mind :P

Comment

• ti33er
                              • Apr 2004

Thanks for this clandestine image aphexist! I honestly think the Maple looks great, this would probably be my choice if it were an option! ...I always tend to migrate towards lighter woods after I have owned darker wood pieces as they strike me as being more modern...I helped my aunt sand down her depressing dark wood antique dining room table and resurrected it as a light wood centre-piece, what a difference! (well we thought so )

Comment

• aphexist
                                • Jan 2004

Yeah, when I started working on that, I was doing it to prove that a large speaker would look hideous with a maple finish, but after it was done I think it looks decent. I matched the "new" finishes to the ones in the 700 series (walnut and maple).

Comment

• fatcat
                                  • Feb 2005

aphexist

Nice work on those photos. I remember the walnut finish being a bit darker than that, but either way, I think it looks great. Always a matter of personal taste in the end, I suppose.

Comment

• kuzma
                                    • Dec 2007

3 yers later

Originally posted by fatcat
                                    How does everyone feel about the finish options of the 800 series? Rosenut is gorgeous but quite difficult to match. Cherry is nice, but if you have dark wood or walnut furniture (as many do), it clashes. Personally, I love the color of walnut and wish the new 800 series came in a walnut veneer. The 700 series walnut finish is very nice... I wonder what it would take for B&W to offer this color on the 800 series as well.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
                                    What a nice thread
                                    I’m looking forward to get myself a new HT system, and 800series (804S, HTM4, ASW825, 805S) are first in the list...
                                    but what stops me from making a purchase is color!
                                    The thing is that i have dark furniture (Wenge color, or espresso) and neither cherry, nor rosenut matches it.
                                    Black ash finish is not my choice as well , but probably the best one of three available, in combination with wenge
                                    if B&W would introduce wenge or at least walnut (like that on the picture above) I would buy the speakers-set straightaway
                                    but as I can see three years passed and nothing changed :cry: :cry: :cry:

p.s. I wrote email direct to B&W, about "some other finish options" and they replied at once: "Presently we have no plans to introduce any further color options to the range."
                                    Though the speakers are superb, you know lately I have caught myself on the idea maybe i should consider some other speakers. Some that have the finish I prefer

anyone has thoughts on the problem?

Comment

• Ethan06
                                      • Feb 2008

kuzma, personally speaking, I like how the cherry pops with wenge furniture. Check out the pic of Tony's killer setup below and you might agree. Those chairs help out as well.

It would be great if there were a few more finish options though.

Comment

• kuzma
                                        • Dec 2007

Ethan06
                                        Thanks for your opinion. And for the foto as well. Didn't find it among user's systems thread.
                                        And you khow, i must agree the interior pictured looks superb. I would be glad to create something alike in my living room :roll:
                                        Of course those orange chairs help, but finaly the interior looks very integlal.
                                        Perfect modern design A+++

But either i have to agree with you that 3 types of finishes is quite a small choice, especially, taking into account the fact, that B&W owns danish furniture factory. The more so they do offer wenge veneer in CM series

Comment

• Ethan06
                                          • Feb 2008

cheers kuzma

Here's the link to the thread with more photos from Tony's setup (pasted from the rotel setup photo thread)

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"