X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OmegaSpeed
    • Mar 2005

Comments on my new 802D speakers

I thought I would share some comments with everyone on my new 802D speakers.

I always recall that after running my Signature 805’s for 4 days straight they came to the point where I really liked them; before that, if I hadn’t heard my friends S805’s in my system prior I would of questioned my purchase. The S805’s turned out to be my favorite speaker I have owned, especially when using the Classe Delta gear. I was using JM Reynaud Concorde’s ($7k) before them and N803’s before those.

Last evening marked 4 straight days of running the 802D’s non stop and at one point, when they had about 24 hours on them, I was able to crank them up quite loud for about 5 hours while we were away, I would of liked to have done this a few more times but haven’t had the chance. Just like the S805’s I found that after a good 4 days the 802D’s are now sounding fabulous.

I initially hooked them up last Thursday evening and when listening the following day, Friday, they were ok, but I wasn’t wowed, this was a bit surprising to me at this price point; I could only hear shades of potential; I also didn’t find them very enjoyable at lower volumes. By Saturday morning they had improved quite a bit and I could enjoy them at lower volumes, but I still wasn’t struck by the beauty of the diamond tweeter like I had been in the stereo shop listening to the 803D’s. Once again the next day, Sunday, brought more improvements and by Monday I was getting wowed. One thing I liked about my system, with the S805’s, is that I liked every source, CDP, FM and satellite radio, and sitting back at my desk Monday listening to satellite radio was a pleasure, which I was thankful of, I would have been disappointed if this wasn’t the case as my system with the S805’s was really enjoyable in this respect, but with the 802D’s it was clearly better than I had ever heard it.

Today is Tuesday and at this writing I am a few hours short of 5 full days and I have listened to several discs this afternoon and it was a case where I simply wanted to hear them from end to end, I was hearing each CD as I have never heard them before, the music sounds fabulous. I pulled out a couple CD’s I basically never listen to, one of which I suspect I haven’t touched in 5 years, the two CD’s were the Beatles and Chuck Berry. I read the comments from someone with 803D’s that stated bad recordings sounded bad and great sounding recordings sounded great, this has not been my experience with the 802D’s (and the rest of my system). While I don’t claim a system can make a bad recording a good recording but every CD I played not only sounded better than I have ever heard it, I enjoyed the music greatly. (I have played some other older recordings too that I wouldn’t consider great recordings, like Elvis and CCR.)

A disc I would like to recommend to everyone is, “California Guitar Trio – Rocks the West”; the recording is great and I really like this CD; it sounded great on my S805’s, but to hear it on my system with the 802D’s is a whole other experience, you’d be surprised at how low the guitar goes, something my beloved S805’s can’t capture.

The 802D’s comes with rollers for feet, the two sided rubber / spike feet are optional, that is a bit surprising at this price, but they are graciously sending me a set and I will be curious if the sound changes much by changing the feet.

In closing, if you can’t tell I am very pleased with the 802D’s! I am positive I could have someone here listening to my tuner or satellite radio and they would expect it to be the CDP.

System consists of:
    Classe Delta Series -
    CA-2200 amp
    CP-500 preamp
    CDP-100 CDP
    Luxman T-117 tuner
    Virtual Dynamics – David cabling

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Files
  • Rags
    • Aug 2003

Omegaspeed.

Well done mate. Those speakers look particularly fetching and all the woodwork in the house seems to match up.

Interesting that you not using the 802's for home theatre duties.

I have been getting more and more interested in the Classe amp range - the 5200 in particular - I know the 2200 is its two channel cousin but wanted to know your thoughts on how it combined up with the B&W's. Also does it have enough muscle ?

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
      • Mar 2005

Hi Rags,

I do have my satellite running to my system, but no HT set up per se, I am not big into movies and what I hear through my system while watching TV is plenty good for me; I am a two channel guy.

I can not speak highly enough about the Classe Delta gear; I have gone through quite a bit of gear the last few years and nothing has satisfied me like Classe / B&W combo. I was using a Pass X150.5 amp and X2.5 preamp (and later a JRDG Synergy IIi preamp) with my S805's before getting the Classe and this was nice, but when the Classe gear finally broke in I was by far happier with my system than I have ever been.

As for enough muscle, the CA-2200 is driving the 802D's just fine, but I wouldn't turn down a set of CA-M400's! We all know B&W's like their power.

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

Beautiful set-up!!!
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Dan Schulze
          • Jun 2003

Omegaspeed.

I love the Cherrywood in your log house! Very classy!!

Dan
          I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"