X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iggurk
    • Jun 2006

703 and Classe 2200 any good ???

Hello!

I'm considering upgrading my amp (Rotel RMB-1095) for the front speakers (703).

My first choice was to buy a 1090, but as in the future I've plan to upgrade to 80x I've now some hesitations for a Classe 2200 (or much better, see below).

Does anyone of you tried the Classe 2200 on 703?

I've take some time to listen the Classe 2200 on 802D (+ Classe CD and pre-amp), and I wasn't really satisfied with the sound, globally it's better that what I've at home, medium more refined, great bass, etc... but there is something missing, the music wasn't "alive".
    It was like there is a curtain in front of the music, it was too "soft", too round. Swing is missing, sounds like milk chocolate.

When I went back home I listen again my system with the same music tracks.

The test was clear, my system sounds better to me, the music is alive!

I think there is a problem with the settings of the system I've listen too, but for the price it was really a big deception.

Does anyone of you experienced the same deception?

Yves
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

There are many factors that could be at play here, and you haven't really provided us with enough information to help you come to any conclusion.

A couple to consider:

1. how well is the listening room at the shop vs. your room?
    2. is the equipment at the shop broken in?
    3. is speaker position optimal?

Those are just a few.

It is also possible that you don't care for the classe sound. Just because some here do, doesn't mean you will. maybe you don't like the diamond tweeters on the 802d's.

Maybe you are prudent enough to enjoy your system and not see the cost to benefit ratio of the other system.

Like it or not, you can hear what you want to hear. Did you have any preconceived notions going in for the audition?

did you even listen to the same material that you did at home? This can be all the difference. You always want to listen to familiar stuff when doing a demo.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

sikoniko:
      Your mouth is full of true!
      1.- When I bought a pair of 800 they took about 3 months to sound as the day I sold them!
      2.- Speaker placement its one of the most inportant factors.
      3.- We all get familiar with the sound of our system and every time we hear another, we compeared it to ours, as if ours where perfect.

When we hear new systems and new music it always sounds different and that difference make us think something is not right, just because our brain have a preconception on how it must sound.... like our system

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Give Chord a try, they are not as warm sounding as Classe.

Comment

• Iggurk
          • Jun 2006

Hi!

thanks for all your remarks.

the system wasn't new, neither the speaker nor the electronics.

The room was a dedicated room for the 80x and some other speakers, not too bad.

listening was perhaps a bit to near of the speakers, around 4-5m.

That wasn't bad, globally it's better than my system as I said, it's just that something missing, you listen really good system, but you don't clap you hand, don't move your feat with the rhythm, that was not "alive".

To come back to the main question, does anyone already tested the 2200 on 703?

Yves

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Igurk, 802D on top of the range Primare gear did the same for me (nice but ...yawn)- and again it could have been various factors other than just the gear. Hifi is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get - until you get it home and hear it in your room with your music over about 2 months. Only then will you really know how good your gear is, and of course unless you are a dealer you can never do this - although we do have one dealer in Brisbane with a reputation for being generous with home auditions - but two months is pushing it.

Could have been the CDP.

In my experience, at a given level, some are better than others at getting your foot tapping. I found the Rega Apollo and Naim 5x at their given price points put more rhythm into the music. Rega Saturn was impossible to audition in Brisbane (I still think that sucks) but by reputation it does similar things.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"