What a fair price on 805 Signatures from a B&W Dealer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

What a fair price on 805 Signatures from a B&W Dealer?

There is a pair of red Dealer Demo 805 Signatures with silver 805 stands at my local B&W dealer. The retail is $4,100 for both. What price should I aim for?

Thanks!
    Last edited by turbokuo; 13 March 2005, 22:55 Sunday.
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

I've heard ~$2200 just for the speakers. So, $2500 would be a 'fair' price for speakers and stands.

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

805 Signatures retail for $3500 without the stands.

Comment

• luszer
        • Feb 2003

Speakers alone on A'gon sell for $2700-$2800. I would rather keep my Sigs before someone offered me less than $2700. Add stands, then $3100 mininum.

Comment

• KenK
          • Mar 2005

As the new 805S uses the same drivers as the S805 and they appears to sound similar, I would not pay anything more than $2,500. Even at $2,500, i would rather get a new pair than a used pair. Just my opinion.

Ken :P

Comment

• turbokuo
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by KenK
            As the new 805S uses the same drivers as the S805 and they appears to sound similar, I would not pay anything more than $2,500. Even at $2,500, i would rather get a new pair than a used pair. Just my opinion.

Ken :P
            I agree with you Ken that the 805S sounds very similar to the Sig 805. The only advantage that the Sig 805 have is that they look more impressive. The gloss red finish made them appear more upscale than the new 805S

Comment

• KenK
              • Mar 2005

"I agree with you Ken that the 805S sounds very similar to the Sig 805. The only advantage that the Sig 805 have is that they look more impressive. The gloss red finish made them appear more upscale than the new 805S"

Funny thing is my wife does not like the gloss finish as they kind of look like plastic. :B

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

Your dealer is not doing you any favours at the price you mention.

No more than $3000 for the speakers & stands.

Comment

• turbokuo
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                  Your dealer is not doing you any favours at the price you mention.

No more than $3000 for the speakers & stands.
                  Thanks Caleb,

The dealer said $3,500 which includes the stands was the initial offer. I'll definitely shoot for your number.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                    • Mar 2005

It was stated above that both speakers use the same drivers; a friend of mine has the 805S's and has owned the S805's and he says the mid/bass driver is not the same, the most obvious difference being the center cone. What those differences entail, I don't know.

I have not heard my friends 805S's yet but from comments he has made to me and some things I have read, I am getting the feeling that I'd prefer the S805's. I am questioning if the 805S's have as punchy a bass as the S805's.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                      • Mar 2005

...btw, as for the finish, we all have our own likes and dislikes, for me the Signature finish is stunning and I greatly prefer its finish to 805S's.

Comment

• KenK
                        • Mar 2005

As the driver is diff that might be the case as the new 805S is heavier and a little bigger then the S805, per B&W website.

Ken

Comment

• Rolex
                          • Mar 2005

That is correct, the drivers are different. I've owned the signatures twice, the nautilus 805 once and now own the new 805S. The center bullet cone of the signature is attached to the pole center of the midbass driver. It does not move. The cone (dustcap) on the new 805S is directly attached to the kevlar portion of the driver. If I remeber correctly, the N805 driver had a similar appearance to the 805S cone. Although, they are totally different drivers.

Finally after my new pair of 805S has broken in, they sound excellent. I am hearing more bass now than I remember from the sigs, which is quite a compliment.. The tweeter took the longest to break in of all the components, but now that it is there, I am happy. I think I'm going to audition the 804S in my room. Could be a big mistake, atleast as far as my wallet is concerened..

Comment

• turbokuo
                            • Feb 2005

Rolex,

Sound-wise how were the Sig 805 different from the new 805S?

Comment

• Rolex
                              • Mar 2005

It may be a little too early to tell the exact differences between the sig 805 and the new 805S for me anyway. I've only had them a week. If I had to say off the top of my head, I would say the bass is improved ever so slightly. My particular pair really came alive in the last two days or so. I was ready to sell them, now I'm ready to keep them.

Since I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison, I have to go only on memory. It seems to me like the midrange is a little more balanced with the tweeter than I remember with the signatures. Vocals are very smooth with this speaker. But.. I hate to discredit the signature, because it is an incredible speaker. The two are voiced very similar. And to be honest, if you blind folded me and and made me guess which was which, in my own system, I would have a hard time telling..

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"